BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

07-21-2010, 07:57 AM   #23
Mjolnir
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Le Mans Blue ZCP DCT

Just my opinion, but I do not particularly like the lines on the vert with the top up. And most of the verts I see around here have the top up. Just my humble opinion.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 08:00 AM   #24
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dice13 View Post
On the new pkgs for sept build, performance wise does the EDC come standard.
No.

Quote:
What pkgs would you get if it had to do with performance other then comp pkg on coupe vert dont have one.
I would only get:

- M-DCT
- ZCW (or just heated seats)
- BMW Assist
- 6FL
- Metallic paint
- Comfort Access (if they make that a standalone option in Sept.)

Quote:
Without EDC do you get the tightest ride or in between . I see the M comes standard now does that mean the EDC to adjust ride.
You can search and read more details, but without EDC you get a firm suspension that's just a bit softer than a the EDC suspension (the non-ZCP, non-variable one) in Sport mode.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 08:08 AM   #25
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

If I didn't need the back seat of my E90 I'd have done a vert.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 08:24 AM   #26
Poleposition
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
United_States
Rep
Drives: very well

Tough question to ask on an internet forum. Its really all about you and your current life situation. I think you got a lot of good responses here. I too like to drive hard thus the reason I got an M car. You dont really give up that much in way of performance by choosing a vert in terms of daily driving. Agreed, that on a track in a controlled environment, the choice for performance is a coupe but as you said, you dont plan to track the car so you'll never realize the performance advantage the coupe does have over the vert. Personally, i love it as you still have the performance you expect from an M car with the added feature of a droptop. My 2 boys absolutely LOVE the convertible. They get a ton of enjoyment out of being in the car. It has many advantages over a coupe and only 1 real disadvantage (as negligible as it may be). Figure out what fits your lifestyle and make your choice. I too would get either car fully loaded with all the bells and whistles as it just adds to the driving experience and enjoyment.
2024 i4 M50 on order

IG @purpleM5Comp_NY
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 08:34 AM   #27
Sinister Crayon
floccinaucinihilipilifica tion
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

I agree with all the points here; that this a really personal decision. However, my general opinion is that if you want the vert, get it. If you buy the coupe you will always wonder what you missed because a convertible is at the end of the day an emotional decision, not a rational one.

Myself I went through similar thoughts when trying to decide between the 335is and the M3. the 335is from my quick test drive seemed to be 99% of an M3 for 95% of the price... but that one percent emotional connection I felt with the M3 made me order the M3. The same is true of the vert.

I don't think you'll notice the extra "fat" in day to day driving. Hell, it's virtually impossible to push an M3 hard legally anywhere in this country other than on a track. If you are absolutely sure you'll never track the car and your gut says the vert is the right choice for you, who am I to talk you out of it?

For me, the coupe is the right choice. I waffled between that and the sedan because I have a 10 year old boy... but I figured that since it's just him and I the coupe would be perfect. The girlfriend can own a sedan
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 02:48 PM   #28
Dice13
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 AW E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
No.

I would only get:

- M-DCT
- ZCW (or just heated seats)
- BMW Assist
- 6FL
- Metallic paint
- Comfort Access (if they make that a standalone option in Sept.)

You can search and read more details, but without EDC you get a firm suspension that's just a bit softer than a the EDC suspension (the non-ZCP, non-variable one) in Sport mode.
Thanks Thats what I was wondering about , with the EDC I can get a tighter ride then the stock ride without the EDC.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 02:52 PM   #29
DadzM4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

I have a coupe and my wife has the E93. I prefer the coupe, it just seems a bit bigger to me inside although I don't think it really is. I do enjoy driving the wife's car as well. The whole vert thing being a girls car is a load of crap (with a few exceptions) I dont think guy's should be driving the old convertible Rabbits....... I just got rid of a Roush Mustang convertible with 540 HP from the Roush factory. Was that a "chick" car??? I would not consider the M3 to be a chick car as a convertible. It is all about personal preference. Your money, your life, get what will make you happy.
      07-21-2010, 02:57 PM   #30
Dice13
Captain
United_States
Rep

I don't track the car. I dont even know if I could track it 1 or 2 times if I ever wanted being it will be a lease, Also I don't think insurance would cover me. What do you guys do insurance wise when tracking your car.

I did not think there would be all that much of difference in coupe to vert. The vert will be the one as I love the drop top its will be my 4th vert 2nd BMW drop top my 135 i vert was a blast just not enough power and would like a stiffer handling car.

As to one of the posts somewhere back there about your skirt comment, I will try to pick out a nice skirt the day I pick up the M3. I will let you know what day and we can meet up for tea and crumpets.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 03:15 PM   #31
Frozen Black Panther
Captain
Albania
Rep
Drives: 2013 550 DINAN STAGE 2

the vert is fun, i feel like i have 2 cars, although you do feel the extra weight but then so what youre not racing in the street, and man when it down shifts it sounds incredible in the vert good luck
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 03:55 PM   #32
BigHat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 E93

This is such a played out theme and as usual some infant has to chime in that a vert is a women's car. How clever.

Just one thing to add that rarely gets covered and coupe owners wouldn't know it because they don't drive verts. The vert is STILL a very quick car and since 99% of all M3s NEVER see a track (where the coupe would surely excel) the delta in performance is meaningless. It's a chore to even get the shift lights to illuminate without breaking the speed limit. Seeing the shift lights in 4th gear or above pretty much means a felony reckless driving charge where in VA if you happen to get tagged while doing it on a public road. You'd think the vert was a Civic hybrid if you just listened to coupe owners.

Here's the practical differences and weigh them in your decision process as is applicable:

1. Trunk space, top up or down, is tight in the vert. I loved the fold down rear seats in my E46 M3 coupe and do miss that at times. In mitigation though the rear seat does fold flat in the vert and hold two sets of golf clubs, etc. I can live with it, some can't.

2. Sedan owners aren't going to sacrifice MORE space/doors for a vert when they weren't prepared to do it to get a coupe. If you need or want 4 doors, you picked a great car in the E90, but it comes with trade-offs too.

3. I personally find the vert in top up configuration to be just as attractive as the coupe. Decide for yourself. Can't believe anyone that wanted a vert would have been pushed to a coupe instead based on this small difference in aesthetics.

4. Price, it's the most expensive version by far. For years, I took my always limited budget and opted for a more expensive car in coupe form than the vert I could afford. After finally buying a 650 vert ('07) I discovered what I was missing, but if if one wants the best performance bang for the buck, the E90 and then E92 make more sense.

5. Do you like open air driving or are you someone that never even opens the sunroof? I see a number of verts (all brands) rolling along with the top up on low humidity/moderate temp early mornings / late afternoons. I always wonder why one even bothered to get it if they weren't going to use it under perfect conditions.

6. Is it your only ride or do you have another vehicle? I currently only own the E93 but probably will buy another vehicle for added flexibility and winter use. I suspect, those pressing hard to get into an M3, might be looking for more flexibility in one platform and that means the E90/E92.

Last edited by BigHat; 07-21-2010 at 04:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 04:49 PM   #33
Doctor J
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E93 M3 DCT

The M3 vert is an excellent car

The roof mechanism is trick and one of my favorite parts of the car -- along with the basso profundo soundtrack you get with top down driving

No comparison to a coupe with a moonroof
      07-21-2010, 04:54 PM   #34
Dice13
Captain
United_States
Rep

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post
This is such a played out theme and as usual some infant has to chime in that a vert is a women's car. How clever.

Just one thing to add that rarely gets covered and coupe owners wouldn't know it because they don't drive verts. The vert is STILL a very quick car and since 99% of all M3s NEVER see a track (where the coupe would surely excel) the delta in performance is meaningless. It's a chore to even get the shift lights to illuminate without breaking the speed limit. Seeing the shift lights in 4th gear or above pretty much means a felony reckless driving charge where. in VA if you happen to get tagged while doing it on a public road. You'd think the vert was a Civic hybrid if you just listened to coupe owners.

Here's the practical differences and weigh them in your decision process as is applicable:

1. Trunk space, top up or down, is tight in the vert. I loved the fold down rear seats in my E46 M3 coupe and do miss that at times. In mitigation though the rear seat does fold flat in the vert and hold two sets of golf clubs, etc. I can live with it, some can't.

2. Sedan owners aren't going to sacrifice MORE space/doors for a vert when they weren't prepared to do it to get a coupe. If you need or want 4 doors, you picked a great car in the E90, but it comes with trade-offs too.

3. I personally find the vert in top up configuration to be just as attractive as the coupe. Decide for yourself. Can't believe anyone that wanted a vert would have been pushed to a coupe instead based on this small difference in aesthetics.

4. Price, it's the most expensive version by far. For years, I took my always limited budget and opted for a more expensive car in coupe form than the vert I could afford. After finally buying a 650 vert ('07) I discovered what I was missing, but if if one wants the best performance bang for the buck, the E90 and then E92 make more sense.

5. Do you like open air driving or are you someone that never even opens the sunroof? I see a number of verts (all brands) rolling along with the top up on low humidity/moderate temp early mornings / late afternoons. I always wonder why one even bothered to get it if they weren't going to use it under perfect conditions.

6. Is it your only ride or do you have another vehicle? I currently only own the E93 but probably will buy another vehicle for added flexibility and winter use. I suspect, those pressing hard to get into an M3, might be looking for more flexibility in one platform and that means the E90/E92.

Point well taken and well said. I have been in 3 verts including my 135i,and IMHO could care less who Don't love em. There is no other feeling dropping that top. I was just wondering how much of a difference there is between the two. Even though I am a fast driver and a very good one at that, there probably is not that much a difference in the two, especiallyf not tracking it. I was just wondering in case I decided to change my mind. I don't drive with the top up unless cold or raining.

Mind is made up,even though I never really changed it to begin with. The coupe us a hot car and a lot cheaper too begin with. A now I know there's no tremendous difference in the two,more so if not tracking it. I will say one thing verts always get the looks: -) over coupes ,IMHO OF course.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 06:19 PM   #35
bavarian06
Captain
Rep
Drives: e46 m3

I would've bought the e93 had it not cost so much.

For the 80% of owner, I doubt any of us will take the car to its full potential on the track and notice the difference between an e90/e92 and e93.

There is nothing like driving with the top down, especially during the daytime in spring or summer nights (prime reason why I miss riding motorcycle).

Nice S1000RR; the bike needs a podium finish on SBK.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 07:32 PM   #36
F15-31
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6SPD

They are both Sexy, but I chose Coupe.

Last edited by F15-31; 07-23-2010 at 07:33 PM.. Reason: left out word
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 08:11 PM   #37
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

i nearly bought the vert, if the color options were there the decision would've been much harder.
major reasons why i went coupe, apart from my option and color choice:

-e93 design loses some of the aggressive lines of the coupe
-the acceleration is slower - this car is quick, but doesnt really knock you back like an amg, so I wanted all i could get in the straight-line performance, as its fun around town, especially with an engine like the s65. Handling : dont think i am a good enough driver to die in a vert vs coupe.
-i track quite a bit
- i planned on winter driving my car, I didnt endup doing this...but its a hardtop so capable.

lastly, if i was going topless and not gonna track, i dont know if i could completely discard the 335 as an option - a great car and dont think you need all the extras of the m3 in vert formation. though an m is still an m./

sometimes i regret it, but i got a sunroof and my windows are always down.
      07-21-2010, 09:29 PM   #38
ASU
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E93 DCT

If you search the site you wil find this topic many times. There are always childish comments that won't help you think through this.

IMO the very first thing you have to do is decide "do you want a vert " regardless if it is a BMW, Audi, Jag, Porcshe etc. Why I chose a vert was simple, I personally love to drive with the top down as does my wife when we do our weekend get aways. What you give up is some performance, boot space and back seat space (if there is one). Make this decision first.

If you have decided on a vert and a four seater the next decision is performance or luxury. Hands down (and I drove everything worth testing) the M3 vert is the best out there in this price bracket. As for luxury it was a toss up between the new Mercedes Benz and the S5 Vert (or the A5 vert if you really are not concerned with overall performance and want to save some major bucks).

I am absolutely pleased with my M3 E93 but I have put a software tune in, pulley's, changed the intake filter and put a new exhaust on it. It is still not a track car but it will perform better than a lot out there (coupe or vert)...Performance and fun driving. Nice package.

The option you might want to give some thought to is get a Coupe M3 and buy a two seater vert for the warm days where you want to cruise and M3 for the days that ultimate performance is the venue.

My two cents worth and good luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 10:12 PM   #39
Dice13
Captain
United_States
Rep

Mind is made,I just needed to know if the coupe would blow the vert away for 9 k less. The answer is not at all. I also know part of it is driver, and I can drive. The coupe was never really in the picture unless it would be a tremendous difference which I believe its not.

Thanks guys, now DROP THAT TOP. : -) .Nothing like the best of both world's.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 10:15 PM   #40
Dice13
Captain
United_States
Rep

Mind is made,I just needed to know if the coupe would blow the vert away for 9 k less. The answer is not at all. I also know part of it is driver, and I can drive. The coupe was never really in the picture unless it would be a tremendous difference which I believe its not.

Thanks guys, now DROP THAT TOP. : -) .Nothing like the best of both world's.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 03:42 AM   #41
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
IMO, if you've even thought about the convertible, then get the convertible. And who buys an M3 to worry about gas mileage????

My next car will be a convertible. I will keep my 325xi for winter use and as my work car.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 09:32 AM   #42
Donbona
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 DCT 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
If you wear a skirt, get the vert. If you wear manly pants, get the coupe.

Very funny.. just try keeping up with my vert... I think you will end up wearing a skirt!
M3 E93 DCT, Space Grey,BC HB29 Forged Deep Concave Wheels, Ericsson Amuse F/R Bumper, Evolve Full Exhaust System, INTRAX Coilovers, STOPTECH BBK, Performance Steering Wheel,Custom Red/Black Leather Seats,///M3 ||Bimmerpost M3 Car Of The Month May - 2010SOLD
2010 R35 GTR
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 10:48 AM   #43
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister Crayon View Post
I waffled between that and the sedan because I have a 10 year old boy... but I figured that since it's just him and I the coupe would be perfect. The girlfriend can own a sedan
Aren'y kids 12 and under required to be in the backseat is just about every state in the union?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 10:58 AM   #44
Sinister Crayon
floccinaucinihilipilifica tion
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
Aren'y kids 12 and under required to be in the backseat is just about every state in the union?
Nope, the NHTSA recommends children under 12 be in the back seat, but at least in Missouri and Illinois (where I do most of my driving) it's not a law.

I do insist he's in a booster seat and belted in properly, though.
Appreciate 0