BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

EXXEL Distributions

02-10-2009, 11:30 PM   #23
Paddy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18' M2, AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack28 View Post
I was thinking about doing the Euro Delivery and going on Vacation, But my Only Concern
Is how much the cost will be of shipping the car back to Los Angeles. I wanted to Pick
Up the M3 in Munich and Drive it to France (where I can visit Relatives) and shipping it
back from there.... I have always wondered how much Shipping the car back would be?

Has Anyone done Euro Delivery and might know how much it is to ship back you car?

Thanks

Jack
thats one of the biggest misconceptions about ED. You don't ship it yourself. BMW includes 2-3 weeks of road insurance and free delivery to the US from any one of a number of European drop-off locations. The dropping off is the high point of ED. Only problem is that it may take 6-8 weeks for your car to arrive in the US. BMW picks up your second month lease payment (assuming your'e leasing) to help soften that (though the make you pay for it in a round about way by bumping the lease MF slightly for ED).
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2009, 12:25 AM   #24
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

-

My BMW Welt pick up is early June: this is an added bonus

And for those who have not considered touring Bavaria, please do, it's beautiful. And then it's not a long - but much fun - drive to Italia, France, Österreich, Schweiz etc. You can also enjoy some great drives via the Alps' passes.

I've been warned not to consider Italy for drop-off: as they get driven back ....

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i

Last edited by Voltigeur; 02-11-2009 at 09:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2009, 12:32 AM   #25
rotaz
Captain
Rep
Drives: CaymanS

What happens if your car malfunctions or breaks down while touring Europe? I plan on getting a DCT and I'm aware of all the issues associated with it. Do you just take it to any BMW Dealer there? Thoughts?
      02-11-2009, 12:33 AM   #26
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotaz View Post
What happens if your car malfunctions or breaks down while touring Europe? I plan on getting a DCT and I'm aware of all the issues associated with it. Do you just take it to any BMW Dealer there? Thoughts?
Yes. Has a Euro warranty for this limited period is what I was told - but does not mean there's no charge. Unsure if this is recuperable.

///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09

Last edited by Voltigeur; 02-11-2009 at 09:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2009, 02:05 AM   #27
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Pricing is MSRP I believe and ED cuts another what 7% off that price and you get to pick it up at the Welt and drive over Germany and then pay normal shipping fees (delivery fees you're paying anyway) to ship it stateside to the dealer of your choice for delivery. Definately a way to save some $$$ however as somebody also said with the current economy it may be easier to find a dealer to discount the car by as much to take one off the lot and you may get more off MSRP depending on the various dealer's inventory. Don't know if you'd get a US dealer to discount you on a car 5-10% and then BMW give you 7% ED discount on top of that. I mean that would really be AWESOME but man somebody would get locked up in the rubber room over at BMW-NA and BMW-AG if they allowed that to happen. That would be the equivalent to a fire sale!
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2009, 06:46 AM   #28
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobc13 View Post
Don't know if you'd get a US dealer to discount you on a car 5-10% and then BMW give you 7% ED discount on top of that. I mean that would really be AWESOME but man somebody would get locked up in the rubber room over at BMW-NA and BMW-AG if they allowed that to happen. That would be the equivalent to a fire sale!
It's not really as difficult as you are making it sounds. As someone pointed out above, there are dealerships that specialize in ED and they will give you a deal at $500 to $1000 over ED invoice as a matter of practice. There is no fire sale and no loccking people in rubber rooms. This is just how they do business.

People seem to be misunderstanding ED. Yeah, you might be able to get nearly as much off on an '08 sitting on the lot. But why? You can instead get the car you really want, and get a chance to drive it in Europe. The reason you do ED is because you get the vacation of a lifetime, while you getting your car at a discount. If you love driving, then really you owe it to yourself to do an ED at least once in your life. It can't be beat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotaz View Post
The chances of M-DCT leaving you stranded are no more than any other function of the car leaving you stranded. They aren't failing completely, they have some software issues. The reason they were braking was because US techs were putting the wrong fluid in at the service appointments. And incidentally, folks have been able to get their cars' 1200 mile service visit reimbursed by BMW USA, though I don't know if that will be made standard practice now or if you have to negotiate that on a case by case basis.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2009, 09:46 AM   #29
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
ey do business.
People seem to be misunderstanding ED. Yeah, you might be able to get nearly as much off on an '08 sitting on the lot. But why? You can instead get the car you really want, and get a chance to drive it in Europe. The reason you do ED is because you get the vacation of a lifetime, while you getting your car at a discount. If you love driving, then really you owe it to yourself to do an ED at least once in your life. It can't be beat.
EXACTLY Some of the roads in S. Germany -> Switzerland / Austria -> N. Italy -> S. France are incredible driving roads. And on the A-Bahn - in the right places - can go as fast as your 5,500 rpm running-in limit will let you go

Speaking of which, I may just hit the 2,000 kay 1st service (ie, rev freedom) but not sure I have the time to put the car into service and when I do I'm not likely that near a dealer (in rural area) ...

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2009, 09:52 AM   #30
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
The dropping off is the high point of ED.
How so? Do they give you a temporary "break-up" party? Just curious. I think my high-point will be driving

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2009, 10:08 AM   #31
Paddy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18' M2, AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
How so? Do they give you a temporary "break-up" party? Just curious. I think my high-point will be driving
:-)
I meant the pickup-dropoff.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2009, 12:56 PM   #32
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Speaking of which, I may just hit the 2,000 kay 1st service (ie, rev freedom) but not sure I have the time to put the car into service and when I do I'm not likely that near a dealer (in rural area) ...

My plan, when I was considering doing ED for my M3, was to break the car in in one day. I figure at 100mph average speed (figuring for stops and turn-arounds) on the autobahn, it could be done if you start very early in the morning. Then you could schedule the first service appointment right in Munich (for the next day), and continue your journey after that with the car all broken in and ready to drive hard (though still taking it a bit easily since it is under 3000 miles). Not sure if anyone has ever tried that but it should be possible. It would be a huge advantage, IMHO, since then you can really drive the M the way it was meant to be for your entire trip.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2009, 01:00 PM   #33
gobuffs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 S54 (race car)

Quote:
My plan, when I was considering doing ED for my M3, was to break the car in in one day. I figure at 100mph average speed (figuring for stops and turn-arounds) on the autobahn, it could be done if you start very early in the morning. Then you could schedule the first service appointment right in Munich (for the next day), and continue your journey after that with the car all broken in and ready to drive hard (though still taking it a bit easily since it is under 3000 miles). Not sure if anyone has ever tried that but it should be possible. It would be a huge advantage, IMHO, since then you can really drive the M the way it was meant to be for your entire trip.
If you follow the break-in recommendations you want to vary the engine speed and 105 speed limit...would make keeping 100 mph average difficult.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2009, 01:13 PM   #34
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobuffs View Post
If you follow the break-in recommendations you want to vary the engine speed and 105 speed limit...would make keeping 100 mph average difficult.
Perhaps, yes. But you could still finish it within the daylight hours, I'd think, if you start at the crack of dawn.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2009, 02:13 PM   #35
gobuffs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 S54 (race car)

Quote:
Perhaps, yes. But you could still finish it within the daylight hours, I'd think, if you start at the crack of dawn.
With the length of a summer day in Europe, probably is possible. Easy day would be June 21. :-)
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2009, 04:32 PM   #36
gr8000
Major
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

Quote:
IMO a new performance car such as the M3 should be broken in under variable speed / load / rpm conditions. Running in at the autoban at constant speed for the entire recommended break in period defeats the point - its kinda like running the engine on the bench (and these engines are run on the bench for a while before they are installed in the cars). Again IMO its best to take a few days to cover the break in distance over a wide range of driving conditions (in town, uphill / downhill, over bumps for the tires / suspension to also break in, under soft and harder cornering, reving as per the instructions, upshifting / downsifting etc)- not just doing a straight line at 2,500rpm / top gear at constant speed (or sort of). Break in period is for all car components (tyres / suspension / steering etc) - not just the engine. All this is IMHO and reflects what I followed during my break in period.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2009, 09:44 PM   #37
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
This is going to be awesome. I get to pay what would be the military sales price, save on the extra destination charge with milsales, and still get to register the car in my state of residence - OR.

So I get a 7% discount and pay $300 total in taxes!
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2009, 10:55 PM   #38
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8000 View Post
IMO a new performance car such as the M3 should be broken in under variable speed / load / rpm conditions. Running in at the autoban at constant speed for the entire recommended break in period defeats the point - its kinda like running the engine on the bench (and these engines are run on the bench for a while before they are installed in the cars). Again IMO its best to take a few days to cover the break in distance over a wide range of driving conditions (in town, uphill / downhill, over bumps for the tires / suspension to also break in, under soft and harder cornering, reving as per the instructions, upshifting / downsifting etc)- not just doing a straight line at 2,500rpm / top gear at constant speed (or sort of). Break in period is for all car components (tyres / suspension / steering etc) - not just the engine. All this is IMHO and reflects what I followed during my break in period.
All fair points.

I still think it would be fine. To be clear I was not suggesting a constant speed nor constant RPM. You can cover a lot of different RPM at high speeds. And you still have to slow down to exit and turn around. You'll cover all RPM and all speeds.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2009, 02:55 AM   #39
Jack28
HUSTLER
Rep
Drives: E46 M3-E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
thats one of the biggest misconceptions about ED. You don't ship it yourself. BMW includes 2-3 weeks of road insurance and free delivery to the US from any one of a number of European drop-off locations. The dropping off is the high point of ED. Only problem is that it may take 6-8 weeks for your car to arrive in the US. BMW picks up your second month lease payment (assuming your'e leasing) to help soften that (though the make you pay for it in a round about way by bumping the lease MF slightly for ED).

Wow that sounds awesome! Im really considering ed.
It will be a great opportunity for me to drive through
Germany and make a trip down to Franch to take a vacation
with relatives in marsell... ill ship the car back
and stay in franch for another 4 weeks then fly
back and wait for my car. This will honestly
be the best vacation ever!!!!!!!!!

E92 M3 ZCP- AW/FR w/Extended Leather) Packages: ZCP, 6MT, Fully Loaded
E46 M3 - AW/IR 6 Spd, Fully Loaded. 19'' BBS LM DBK, V-CSL C/F Bmpr, Botld, Diff, V-CSL Custum IR-CF Center Counsel, V-GTR Hood, Dixis Ti 76mm, Meisterschaft Ti Sec. 1&2, EvoSport Headers, CAI, D/A Chip, tck d/a, Alcantera Headliner with Imola Red Sttitching....
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2009, 05:07 PM   #40
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep

-

Got my updated pricing: 7% off invoice as anticipated, ~ -%4k. Parrrtay! Think I will be upgrading our room in München

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2009, 06:04 PM   #41
JohnnyRoaster
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Jerez Black M3 Sedan

Quote:
-

Got my updated pricing: 7% off invoice as anticipated, ~ -%4k. Parrrtay! Think I will be upgrading our room in München
Did you already have your car on order? If so, how did the CA handle it?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 01:01 PM   #42
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep

CA and Euro delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRoaster View Post
Did you already have your car on order? If so, how did the CA handle it?
Yes. Got the slot. My CA - excellent btw, BMW of Austin - communicates via the BMW NA system to BMW AG's ED handling office re my requested date / time. They then confirmed the time - and we're booked for 14:10 hrs precisely, the language emphasized that delivery was a formal appointment and not to be late.

Although I have joked in another post about the specificity of the time etc I think it's only reasonable as they are delivering 150+ cars / day and I know I would not like to be kept waiting due to another customer's lack of punctuality. I'm told if you really are late then they bump the delivery to next day.

My CA advised me that I needed to get organized w/ sufficient lead time: he advised 4 mths but perhaps not quite as pressing now that auto sales are so drastically off. Still, if you desire to obtain a particular date / time then it behooves one to plan ahead.

Does this answer your question?

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 11:36 PM   #43
JohnnyRoaster
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Jerez Black M3 Sedan

Sorry if I was not clear, but I was wondering if you already had your order in before the new ED pricing structure was announced. I put my deposit down in December for an April ED, but as you know BMW changed the pricing for ED. I talked with my CA this week and they will honor the new pricing or about $4000 off what I thought I would be paying. That should cover a hotel in Paris for a couple of nights.

Good choice on the color by the way!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 11:46 PM   #44
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRoaster View Post
Sorry if I was not clear, but I was wondering if you already had your order in before the new ED pricing structure was announced. That should cover a hotel in Paris for a couple of nights.

Good choice on the color by the way!
Mate, this was my experience also (ordered before the news): it's not the dealer's who loses profit, it's less margin for BMW AG, so the dealer's fine w/ passing the discount news on

As you say, can enjoy some nice hotels, we intend to drop the M off in Paris.

Enjoy your trip!

Appreciate 0