BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

07-31-2015, 01:30 AM   #1
Drv4fun
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 M3 (original owner)

M-DCT Drivelogic - Reset? How is yours

2013 E92 M3, was at plant integration level, Had stalled once in the first 6 months, and one more time this year. Otherwise it was OK, nothing different than what others had complained about, slow to respond on slow down merge in D, clunky on 3 to 2 in D slowing down and turning, etc..
D1 always started out in 2nd gear, even at cold start up. Shifted up at low RPMs.
A friend suggest resetting the "learning", know he's not an M driver, but fairly knowledgeable about BMW. Did the 30 second kickdown accelerator hold on key on ignition. After this "reset" D1 would not start out in 2nd, but would start in 1st gear on cold start, not changing gears until reaching 3000 RPM. After a few miles, then started out in 2nd gear, shifts weren't as high as 3000 RPM, but higher RPM than D2. With a nice warm engine, turning off, and starting up a few seconds later, the same symptoms, starts in 1st gear, revs until 3000 RPM before shifting in 2, then 3, then 4,5,6,7 at lower RPM dependent on speed (unless higher speeds say 40 MPH it won't go into 7).
My friend got me an appointment at his choice of dealer and they updated the programming, it's the very latest version.
The drivelogic is the same, no different than before the update.

So how does your M-DCT drive, in D1.

In D1 does your car, cold start, start in 1 or 2?
In D1 after a cold start, do gear changes up occur at 3000 RPM?
Warm start same?
Does your D2 shift at lower RPMs than D1?
Has anyone had the same symptoms after the so called "reset"?
Anyone noticed these symptoms after a transmission change or service or module update?

I dont' drive much in D, just in low speed limit areas, or unfamiliar areas (looking for directions etc..) but I do clearly remember what it was like before the "reset". I just want to make sure its all OK.

I did the same "reset" on my 6 speed automatic 135i, and it clearly made a difference and re-learned.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 09:36 AM   #2
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Hi DRV,

the D1 "winter" setting where it should start in 2nd gear seem to work so-so. In my previous box it did when first trying wintertime when I bought the car. Didn't use it since. Then I had a new box last January (due to wrong fluid fill by dealer), I've tried D1 once or twice in chilly temp, seems to work, but when warmer not. The dealer doesn't have the detailed knowledge to explain but the tech suggested the box also measure temperature i.e. too warm outside won't enable 2nd gear start. I basically never use D1 and starting in 2nd gear can only wear clutches if anything but I still find the function strange. Keep in mind this box is not a rebuild but brand new earlier this year so should be fully functional according to spec.

To keep down rev during warm up I have found D3 to be the best. Even if D2 shift earlier once it warmed up slightly, D3 in my case shift earlier the first few hundred meters out from the parking, i.e. from first - second - third gear.

Never done the reset.

I'll try the D1 later today, haven't done that for quite some time.

PS. Never experienced much of the clunking and issues when slowing down in D, the previous box was good and with the new it completely went away. Buttering smooth while lightning fast.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 04:49 PM   #3
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

DRV,

Tested on my way back home. D1 did not initially force 2nd gear but started in first. Run fir a bit and once warmed up, yes 2nd gear start everytime I changed to D1. As D1/2nd gear assumingly is to help get started a snowy morning - go figure.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 07:33 PM   #4
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

I've never read about the kickdown/KOEF reset procedure.

There are some clutch re-alignment/learning procedures in the diagnostic tools the dealers and high-end indie shops have, but it's my understanding that the M-DCT is self-adjusting and should pretty much never need this unless the clutches were replaced. The SMG was a different animal and did need this adjustment sometimes.

I had my car's integration updated to 240E almost immediately after purchase and haven't encountered the issues you describe. D1 starts the car off in 2nd gear year-round (admittedly I never use this) and nothing else feels out of place.
      08-01-2015, 02:08 AM   #5
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

DP, so D1 works immediately, even during cold start? Wierd that the behavour is different between boxes, again I have a brand new installed...
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2015, 02:42 AM   #6
Drv4fun
First Lieutenant
Rep

Helmsman - love the profile pic! Angel Eyes! Before the so called "reset" it always started out in 2nd gear, even in cold temps, although it never gets below freezing, and changed gears rapidly at low RPMs.

The strange thing is that in D1, its like this:
1 to 2 gear 3000rpm regardless of how much accelerator is pressed,
2 to 3 gear again 3000rpm regardless of how much accelerator is pressed,
3+ gear changes dependent on accelerator etc. and can be as low as 1500 and as high as +. But before the "reset" it wasn't this way. Started in second gear and changed rapidly to highest gear for engine speed.
In D2+ under the same starting conditions, the car changes gears normally:
1 to 2 gear, dependent on accelerator - so if light, changes rapidly ~1800..
2 to 3 gear, same as above
3+, same as above..

So I'm concerned that this "reset" somehow deleted some factory program for D1 that is not reapplied on a update.

Dparm, don't do the reset!

Can anyone else try out their M-DCT in D1 and post their results? I listed the questions in Yes/No format for your convenience too! Thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2015, 02:47 AM   #7
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Ok.....don't want to sound like too much of an idiot but.....what shift setting are yall on? 1of5 always starts in 2nd gear regardless of temp, as it is the most relaxed setting. Push it to 3of5 and it starts in 1st maybe just 2of5. Am I completely oblivious to the inquiry of this post oorrrr? When I was poking around with my 335, the process you describe was call "adaptation reset". This would default the DME and make it re learn your throttle input/habits and its relevance to shifting based on your driving style. Are you asking if the car behaves differently after this reset?
      08-01-2015, 03:02 AM   #8
Drv4fun
First Lieutenant
Rep

Hi Scrippy, thanks for your reply.
Yes, the car definitely behaves differently after the adaptation reset. As soon as it was reset, I put it into D1 to have it learn and it did not shift into second gear. So now, after about 5 minutes of driving it starts out in second gear when in D1. But if I turn off the ignition and turn back on, it starts the same behavior of starting out in first gear and reving to 3000 rpm before a gear change. I will have to video it and post it so you call can see.

I looking to see what other M-DCT are behaving like. Reading the ST813 M DCT Drivelogic PDF I can see it's a very complicated system and I wonder if something's gone wrong with the programming after the adaptation reset, or coincidence at the same time.

It definitely starts out in first gear in D1, at least for 5 minutes after a start (cold or warm engine).

Starting out in D1, and reving to 3000 RPM - that's not going to do much in the snow, since the manual says to use D1 for snow. Again for 2.5 years, since new, it always started out in second gear.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2015, 03:54 AM   #9
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

DRV, again even my new box doesn't seem to handle the D1/2nd gear function consistently but personally not worried about that. The need to rev to 3k would be more worrying specially during warm up. Obviously manual can be used but still irritating.
My skift like yours did before i.e. at 16-1800rpm with careful throttle.
The only learning I've heard of is what DP mentioned which was done after the box change.

Ps. Thanks, the angel' turned out nice, and always been a bit of a fan of good old Lee...☺
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2015, 06:54 AM   #10
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

DRV, another long shot that came to my mind is could the level meter of some reason play tricks with you? As Im sure you've noticed when you go uphill the car doesn't skift as soon but let the rev continue for a bit. Probably not your issue but just a thought mate.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2015, 03:20 PM   #11
Drv4fun
First Lieutenant
Rep

I didn't think of that, but I have noticed how on hills up and down it will adjust. Its a good thought - if that sensor was faulty I would think it would do it in all gears and wouldn't change as it warmed up.

I suspect that the D1 setting has lost something.
Appreciate 0