BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

EXXEL Distributions

05-09-2012, 08:17 PM   #1
txz4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

Further schooling question...advice.

I have a BBA in general business. I currently am being groomed to become the new CEO of my family's small business. Im great at the business aspect, but not into the actual service we deal with. On top of that, i feel like im not using my potential here, and would like to learn a little bit more.

so here are the options:

1) get an MBA in finance, perhaps a job with a large company afterwards if all goes well, or maybe even stay at my current job.
2) 2 years of med school pre reqs, then med school. I like the challenge and it seems interesting.

3)Just continue what im doing. keep doing my best here.

So what would you do?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 08:28 PM   #2
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

I would go for higher education while you still can. If anything it would allow you to go further in the future. An MBA is a great addition to any major you might have been in. I don't know about med school. If you like the medical field then you should do it. If you're just semi-interested and might be in it for the money then don't. It costs a lot and if you don't like what you do, you will end up owing so much money and might never be able to pay it back.

I like the business aspect of things so I would go with the MBA route (I'm currently about a year into my MBA program).
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 10:36 PM   #3
txz4
Major
Rep

thanks for the advice, i should say that i find medicine far more interesting than business classes. Much of the business classes ive been in have been slightly trivial to me, but then again ive grown up around a business thats older than me.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 10:44 PM   #4
BMWinNorthdakota
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i e90

What do you mean "not good with the service" ??

Why do you want to want to go back to school? I feel like you've forgot how entirely trivial and how full of minutia school is.

My take- Pick up a few books by Jim Collins and books by authors alike. Focus on developing your soon to be business. If you still have that thirst 15 years down the road and you have attained some success, try for an MBA program at Harvard or something similar.

"Don't let your schooling get in the way of your education"- your education being what you're currently doing.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 11:53 PM   #5
txz4
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWinNorthdakota View Post
What do you mean "not good with the service" ??

Why do you want to want to go back to school? I feel like you've forgot how entirely trivial and how full of minutia school is.

My take- Pick up a few books by Jim Collins and books by authors alike. Focus on developing your soon to be business. If you still have that thirst 15 years down the road and you have attained some success, try for an MBA program at Harvard or something similar.

"Don't let your schooling get in the way of your education"- your education being what you're currently doing.
I miss the stimulation i think of learning things. The challenge and the subject matter of medical school seems particularly interesting to me. Ive only been out of school for a semester, so you may be right about the minutia of school.

the problem is, If your the CEO of a company you cant do anything else.... no breaks or time for school. The deal is its now or never, before i wont have the time or opportunity, thus my current quandary.

im good with the service, im just not interested in the product. For the sake of argument: imagine being the CEO of a large plumbing company, and not having any interest in learning a thing about plumbing. Its not a plumbing company, but suffice it to say its the same type of problem im facing.

My mom, the current CEO and founder, prefers me to go back to school, i dont think she wants the same life for me and moreover feels im wasting my intellect in my current line of business, so the opportunity is now or never more or less.

p.s. The business is older than I and is already well developed.
Appreciate 0