BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-30-2011, 12:05 AM   #1
ChrisPD
Rep
Drives: Old School Chevy

College advice?

I'm kind of a lurker here on the forum and don't really post to often but i need some advice.

So i recently completed my first quarter of college. For the first month or so i had 3 A's and a B. But i started to feel very stressed and overwhelmed with the amount of work i had. During high school i never had to try and was never really challenged by any of my classes. I fell behind by not keeping up with all of my classes and choosing to have more fun than studying to thinking it would relieve my stress. I received my grades and finished with a C+, C, and 2 C-. Those grades are pathetic and come out to a GPA of a 1.8. That is the lowest my GPA has EVER been. This will put me on academic probation through my university. At my school you have to raise your GPA above a 2.0 by the next quarter and complete a required class. Right now i'm feeling extremely discouraged, though this has made me realize some of my faults and that i need to continue studying hard every single day. My question is has this happened to any of you? Was your transition from high school to college classes hard? Did your grades improve? And also how did you deal with the stress?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 12:40 AM   #2
Oregano123
Banned.....j/k
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 535xi, '11 Panamera

build your grades and work ethic for another semester. then transfer out to another univ so u have a fresh slate to get a real gpa
      11-30-2011, 01:14 AM   #3
ChrisPD
Rep
Drives: Old School Chevy

I was considering that, i need a stronger work ethic. But currently we are on quarters, and i have winter and spring quarter to raise it. We are making the switch to semesters next year. Does it seem possible to raise it a good amount since i have two quarters rather than one semester?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 01:16 AM   #4
E90SoFlo
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

adderall = 3.5 gpa
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 01:18 AM   #5
Blayne
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Escalade

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPD View Post
I'm kind of a lurker here on the forum and don't really post to often but i need some advice.

So i recently completed my first quarter of college. For the first month or so i had 3 A's and a B. But i started to feel very stressed and overwhelmed with the amount of work i had. During high school i never had to try and was never really challenged by any of my classes. I fell behind by not keeping up with all of my classes and choosing to have more fun than studying to thinking it would relieve my stress. I received my grades and finished with a C , C, and 2 C-. Those grades are pathetic and come out to a GPA of a 1.8. That is the lowest my GPA has EVER been. This will put me on academic probation through my university. At my school you have to raise your GPA above a 2.0 by the next quarter and complete a required class. Right now i'm feeling extremely discouraged, though this has made me realize some of my faults and that i need to continue studying hard every single day. My question is has this happened to any of you? Was your transition from high school to college classes hard? Did your grades improve? And also how did you deal with the stress?
Reminds me of me aha though not as bad. First sem ever I had all As at the begining, then thought yea school aint shit and went back to my high-school ways of complete laziness. When finals came I was like, oh shit...I new nothing and I never went to class. For my finals I ended up studying 3 days for bio lab exam, 1 day for stats lab exam, 1 day for bio final, 2 days for stats final, 1 day for phycology (fml I can't even spell the dam thing), and 1day to skim all summerys of the books we read in English so I could do the final....I will never forget this as I never felt so fucked in my life as this..though got A in eng, B in physc, B in stats (fuckin bullshit ass prof wouldn't give me a A-, I missed it by .5 of a percent....Bitch) and a B- in bio . Anyway, lesson is university isn't so easy, but not that hard ether...study 2hrs a day and ull be fine.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 01:24 AM   #6
Blayne
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Escalade

Can't edit on IPhone

Those above are both B+ 's
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 06:35 AM   #7
NYCGP
WTF are you looking at?
Rep
Drives: Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SoFlo View Post
adderall = 3.5 gpa
This..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 07:33 AM   #8
BMWinNorthdakota
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i e90

Consistency. develop it.

General eds are probably the most discouraging thing sometimes. They will drop your academic confidence to all time lows...

Bursh your shoulders off and look at the big picture bud... assuming shooting for your bachelors, you have 7 more semesters left to counter this.

Get up in the morning, every morning. Set tasks everyday and force yourself to do them. Make a checklist, it helps me out some (Try "Colornote"-android checklist app, I am sure apple has one too). Also, college gets much easier when you get in your field of study and are half way interested in the material.

CONSISTENCY man... everyyyyy fuckkking day. Keep your head to the grindstone and you'll be perfectly fine.

Also, college gets much easier when you get in your field of study and are half way interested in the material.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 07:38 AM   #9
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Gray

Nice!! I had a 1.8 for my first semester at URI.

You'll figure out how to succeed soon. Until then, enjoy college and don't be a fuck up.
      11-30-2011, 08:21 AM   #10
shazzy04
Lieutenant Colonel
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '15 F22 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick6EF View Post
Nice!! I had a 1.8 for my first semester at URI.

You'll figure out how to succeed soon. Until then, enjoy college and don't be a fuck up.

The only thing we can do is tell you that YOU need to step your game up, we can't for you.

Mods coming soon
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 08:33 AM   #11
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Kick your ass in gear and get all A's the next two quarters and that will really help pull up your GPA. As you move on to your junior and senior year if you can keep your grades up, those C's will have less and less effect on you.
      11-30-2011, 08:34 AM   #12
ZJP
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535xi / B6 S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SoFlo View Post
adderall = 3.5 gpa
+1

Adderall is amazing.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 08:39 AM   #13
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

While not as bad as you, I had a 2.something my second semester of college. I was completely blown away by the workload, and thought I was going to end up becoming a male nurse or something.

Hard work and perseverance go a long way. I also realized that I wasn't speaking up when I was confused or didn't understand something fundamental in a class. But to be totally honest, what motivated me most of all was fear. Fear of becoming an embarrassment to my family, fear of not getting into medical school, fear of having the worst grades of my friends. After that point, any time I became worried I was trailing off or losing focus, I'd just tap a little into that fear, and I was refocused.

My advice to you is to remember why you're in college. What's the long term goal? What do you need to achieve that goal? And then make sure to keep that in the back of your mind. As some of the others have mentioned, as you get into your major and delve into something you really enjoy, you won't mind studying as much and the good grades will come to you. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 08:39 AM   #14
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

Every single college student goes through this, you're fine.
      11-30-2011, 08:55 AM   #15
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
study high, take test high, get high scores.

worked for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 09:03 AM   #16
matthewk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X6MC, 2022 M5C

Perhaps college isn't for you... The world needs ditch diggers too...

If your not getting good grades its because your completely lazy. Do the reading, do the assigned work and even a friggen monkey can manage a 3.00 in an undergrad program.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 09:07 AM   #17
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewk View Post
Perhaps college isn't for you... The world needs ditch diggers too...

If your not getting good grades its because your completely lazy. Do the reading, do the assigned work and even a friggen monkey can manage a 3.00 in an undergrad program.
are you saying i should leave my career field for ditch digging since i didn't have a 3.0?

sorry im not sorry for partying
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 09:10 AM   #18
carve
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

For most it's a lot harder than high school. I went from one of the smartest kids at my po-dunk redneck high school class of 450 into engineering school where ALL of my classmates were the smartest kids at their school.

You just have to work your ass off, take advantage of office hours and study groups/tutors if you don't understand something, ask lots of questions in class, and make sure you know that shit.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 09:59 AM   #19
AU335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
Every single college student goes through this, you're fine.
^that.

OP, you and about 90% of other college students did the same thing your freshman year... just work harder now or you will be digging yourself out of a hole... definitely not to late to come back from though!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 10:16 AM   #20
Bakeme521
Some say...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fresh

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.24]
Like everyone else is saying, this happens to almost everyone. I know how you feel, I was never challenged in high school either and when I hit to college I had never worked so hard for a 2.8 in my life and in high school I didn't do shit and got at least a 3.8 every semester.

The best advice I can give you is to reward yourself. Tell yourself if you get x amount if work done then you can go and hang out with friends and have fun. If you don't then stay in and get your shit done. The way to get through college isn't something that can be taught, you kind of have to learn what works best for you. When coming into college you hear a lot of advice about what it will be like but you never really understand how much it busts your balls until you experience it.

You'll be fine I promise, just work at it. Happens to more people than you think. Good luck bro.

I have exhaust and an intake...
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 10:34 AM   #21
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Much

I don't know if it's relevant but I did my absolute worst in the prerequisites/easier classes that were completely unrelated to my major. I was a business undergrad and the moment that I got into the business college at my University I did very well in all of my classes while others were struggling.

Moral of the story - Make sure you are interested in what you are studying and it truly is what you want to study as that is half the battle.
      11-30-2011, 12:29 PM   #22
carve
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questforpower View Post
I don't know if it's relevant but I did my absolute worst in the prerequisites/easier classes that were completely unrelated to my major. I was a business undergrad and the moment that I got into the business college at my University I did very well in all of my classes while others were struggling.

Moral of the story - Make sure you are interested in what you are studying and it truly is what you want to study as that is half the battle.
It's the opposite in engineering school. The prereq/liberal arts classes were the easy A's I used to keep my GPA afloat. An "A" in a 3-credit history or philosophy class is about 1/5 the effort of an "A" in a chemistry, kinematics, or calculus class.
Appreciate 0