BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-06-2010, 11:01 AM   #23
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrumcap View Post
There are times when it helps to have your wheels spinning and prefereably both wheels. I have been in areas where it helped to spin enough to move the snow to get to the surface underneath and gain traction. In that case it would definitely help to have both wheels moving so it sounds like the M3 would have the advantage there.
Yes, definitely. That's basically what I was getting at with my first post, although I probably was a bit too specific with the circumstances. Basically, any time the car's movement is actually being impeded, the M3 will have an advantage over the 335i (assuming comparable tires, etc.).

I suppose "impeded movement" is sort of subjective splitting-hairs type of term. But the bottom line is that in my experience, typical driving in mild winter conditions the cars perform pretty equally. At the same time, if you are in deep snow or some other situation where there is a high level of wheel spin, the M3 has the traction advantage. It's just that in my case, the latter do not make up the bulk of my winter driving experiences.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 11:06 AM   #24
Thrumcap
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Audi Q7

Gotcha. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 11:09 AM   #25
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

Hey Thrumcap, if you want to go for an M3 and your only concern is driveability in snow, then I say it can not be worse than the 335i, but most probably would be better.

It's a fine car, you'll not regret the switch. I know I don't.
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 12:11 PM   #26
Thrumcap
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Audi Q7

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava09 View Post
Hey Thrumcap, if you want to go for an M3 and your only concern is driveability in snow, then I say it can not be worse than the 335i, but most probably would be better.

It's a fine car, you'll not regret the switch. I know I don't.
Not really a concern just more curious than anything. I knew it couldn't be worse but hoping it would be better. Sounds like this is the case.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 01:19 PM   #27
gthberg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 M3 IB/FR

Garage List
1987 BMW M6  [9.75]
2009 e90 M3  [0.00]
Never had the privlege of driving a 335i in the snow, but the M3 is handling the snow beautifully. We're getting socked here in KS this year, and I've had no issues with the M3. Having said that, a good set of snow tires makes all the difference. Between the tires, near perfect weight distribution, the DSC, and the LSD, the only issue I've run into is clearance. More often than not, we choose to take the M3 in the snow over the Mini.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 10:42 PM   #28
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

i didn't get a chance to read alll the replies but my exp so far has been before i put my blizzaks on i had bald PS2's on and i made it about 15 miles in about 2 inches of snow and had hills. not gonna lie the hills were tough very tough and had there been traffic i would of been screwed but i was suprised it went anywhere let alone where i had to go. my last E46 M3 with those tires in a simlilar situation went no where and i had to park it.

i had a E39M5 that i used during the winter with blizzaks that was great and would go as deep as 5 inches easy. front bumper was the only thing that stopped it.

i have to say my M3 with the same blizzaks is as the same if not better. i don't have many miles yet but so far the LM 60's on it are great

edit- just got to read some- no doubt turning the DSC off helped me get up the hills. it wasn't goin anywhere with it on. once i turned it off away we went. to answer your question about that. and that was with bald summer PS2's

H
Appreciate 0