BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

04-20-2009, 09:08 AM   #1
96OCTNE
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

a good place to dyno

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a good place to get a dyno, I want to get it done in the Northern Virginia area. Do I have to go all the way out to GW or ISP?

Thanks in advanced.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 09:14 AM   #2
emthree4me
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 e92

iVE had my speedo check for fighting a ticket one ticket hoping my speedo was off @ the Shell gas station at old keen mil and rolling, seem like they can be able to do Dyno.
paid $70
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2009, 05:33 PM   #3
bogdan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96OCTNE View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a good place to get a dyno, I want to get it done in the Northern Virginia area. Do I have to go all the way out to GW or ISP?

Thanks in advanced.
I use ISP. His dyno reads low, though.

You should really pick a dyno and stick with it as you mod your car. That way you can see the numbers change/increase through the modding process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emthree4me View Post
iVE had my speedo check for fighting a ticket one ticket hoping my speedo was off @ the Shell gas station at old keen mil and rolling, seem like they can be able to do Dyno.
paid $70
That type is used for emissions testing. It is not reated or recommended to use for a hp/tq reading.
My dog swallowed my FOB. Luckily it was Comfort Access so I could still drive the car. Of course I had to take him with me everywhere and every time he rolled over the windows went down.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2009, 09:04 AM   #4
joshd
Rep
Drives: '16 S6, '13 Golf R, '05 GT3

Have you found a place yet?

I was thinking about using Mach V in Sterling.

They have a dynojet but it seems like anytime anyone goes there they have some 'trouble' with their ignition sensor and therefore can't get a torque reading.

I also like the folks at CBRD (especially since they bought my old Evo IX from me a few years ago), and I trust that they know what they're doing, but it's a 1.5 hour drive from my house (Leesburg).

Any other thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2009, 01:41 AM   #5
novablackm3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Performante, G05 M50i, RR SVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by emthree4me View Post
paid $70
Hey i live right off ffx prkway and hoose . You in springfield?
      05-25-2009, 01:43 AM   #6
novablackm3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdan View Post

You should really pick a dyno and stick with it as you mod your car. That way you can see the numbers change/increase through the modding process.

That type is used for emissions testing. It is not reated or recommended to use for a hp/tq reading.
y0 you bogdan from acura-cl/tl acurazine ? i'm novawhitetypes
      05-25-2009, 06:04 AM   #7
joshd
Rep

Bogdan!

I didn't recognized the name at first You're my service adviser at Passport BMW for my wife's AW E93 M3. I just brought it in a month or so ago for the break-in service and we chatted about mods and racing, etc.

The problem I'm having is that the M3 feels slow compared to my M5. I know it's the slowest E9x M3 you can buy being a convertible and 6-speed but still ... that's the reason I'm looking to get a baseline dyno (make sure she's healthy) and then throw some parts at it and see if I can get it closer to the M5 (apparently it weighs about the same!).

- Josh

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 08:49 AM   #8
sptm3
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd View Post
I was thinking about using Mach V in Sterling.

They have a dynojet but it seems like anytime anyone goes there they have some 'trouble' with their ignition sensor and therefore can't get a torque reading.

I also like the folks at CBRD (especially since they bought my old Evo IX from me a few years ago), and I trust that they know what they're doing, but it's a 1.5 hour drive from my house (Leesburg).

Any other thoughts?
I've been to both CBRD and Mach V and both are really great. If you don't really care about the specific dyno itself, you could always go to Curry's Auto. They have a mustang dyno, but I'm not sure what they charge to do a baseline.
      05-27-2009, 12:14 AM   #9
joshd
Rep

Thanks, I forgot about the dyno there. I'm going to the Chantilly Curry's on Thursday for rear tires on the M5 and will check on pricing. I dynoed at their Dulles facility a few times before they sold it and remember it being a bit pricey and limited to 2 pulls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sptm3 View Post
I've been to both CBRD and Mach V and both are really great. If you don't really care about the specific dyno itself, you could always go to Curry's Auto. They have a mustang dyno, but I'm not sure what they charge to do a baseline.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 09:39 AM   #10
bogdan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by novablackm3 View Post
y0 you bogdan from acura-cl/tl acurazine ? i'm novawhitetypes

Hhahahaha!!!! What's up! Yup, it's me!

ahh... those were the days... you racing your friends M3/4 auto in your CL-S.
My dog swallowed my FOB. Luckily it was Comfort Access so I could still drive the car. Of course I had to take him with me everywhere and every time he rolled over the windows went down.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 09:48 AM   #11
bogdan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Bogdan!

I didn't recognized the name at first You're my service adviser at Passport BMW for my wife's AW E93 M3. I just brought it in a month or so ago for the break-in service and we chatted about mods and racing, etc.

The problem I'm having is that the M3 feels slow compared to my M5. I know it's the slowest E9x M3 you can buy being a convertible and 6-speed but still ... that's the reason I'm looking to get a baseline dyno (make sure she's healthy) and then throw some parts at it and see if I can get it closer to the M5 (apparently it weighs about the same!).

- Josh
Hey dude!

Yeah, it's me. I can't hide anywhere.

Well, if the Dyno reads low, then it's an excuse to throw some mods at it. Yes, the E93 is a boat anchor. Sorry. Still, if I wanted a convertible, it would absolutely top my list!

I've seen dyno's as low as 308 rwhp on the M3's. Still, it's all relative to the dyno, day, conditions, etc.. etc...
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 09:32 AM   #12
joshd
Rep

Good to see you on here ...

Honestly, the engine sounds so damn sexy with the top down I almost don't care how slow it is ... it sounds like it's fast as hell and that's half the experience

Quote:
Hey dude!

Yeah, it's me. I can't hide anywhere.

Well, if the Dyno reads low, then it's an excuse to throw some mods at it. Yes, the E93 is a boat anchor. Sorry. Still, if I wanted a convertible, it would absolutely top my list!

I've seen dyno's as low as 308 rwhp on the M3's. Still, it's all relative to the dyno, day, conditions, etc.. etc...
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 11:17 AM   #13
bogdan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Good to see you on here ...

Honestly, the engine sounds so damn sexy with the top down I almost don't care how slow it is ... it sounds like it's fast as hell and that's half the experience
If you like it now, get the Macht Schnell airfilter. The sound from the intake will be louder!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 07:46 AM   #14
joshd
Rep

Quote:

Yes, the E93 is a boat anchor. Sorry.
So true. I'm bringing it in this week and I want 400 lbs removed under warranty!

Quote:
If you like it now, get the Macht Schnell airfilter. The sound from the intake will be louder!
Yeah I was going to get that or the BMC filter, although they supposedly were redesigning theirs to fit better?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 02:22 PM   #15
bogdan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So true. I'm bringing it in this week and I want 400 lbs removed under warranty!
Sure, you think your wife would mind having a permanent convertible?

Quote:
Yeah I was going to get that or the BMC filter, although they supposedly were redesigning theirs to fit better?
I've heard of some people reporting of some "rattling issues.."

Can't say I've had any issues with my MS filter, but... the exuast drowns out any noises.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 09:32 PM   #16
novablackm3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Hhahahaha!!!! What's up! Yup, it's me!

ahh... those were the days... you racing your friends M3/4 auto in your CL-S.
omg i can't believe you remember that was like 6 years ago! we'll have to catch up @ the next meet.