BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-09-2007, 09:34 PM   #1
BevoRules
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '08 M3

Still early but BMW currently #3

the team must finally have that V10 power tuned in better this year. only completed two races and still early obviously but the team is currently #3 in the contructor points and that is solely riding on Heidfeld's performance because the polish driver hasn't done squat so far.

don't know if anyone viewed yesterday's race and qualifiying but the anouncers on the telecast briefly mentioned the new pending release of the M3. pretty cool.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2007, 09:40 PM   #2
Goober M
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe, Silver Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoRules View Post
the team must finally have that V10 power tuned in better this year.
It is a V8. All of F1 is running V8s this year; most teams were running V8s last year (a few were running detuned V10s).

Yes, they are doing better this year. We'll see if it continues. Kubica has had a bit of bad luck thus far, I expect him to show better as the season moves on. I think he's a better natural driver than Heidfeld.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2007, 09:47 PM   #3
BevoRules
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '08 M3

really, i didn't know F1 changed and forced all the teams to run on V8s this year. well now that really explains why BMW is already gotten off to a better start this yr...they are using the engine that will be in our new M3s. very cool.

thx for info.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2007, 09:56 PM   #4
Goober M
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe, Silver Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoRules View Post
really, i didn't know F1 changed and forced all the teams to run on V8s this year. well now that really explains why BMW is already gotten off to a better start this yr...they are using the engine that will be in our new M3s. very cool.

thx for info.
No problem. While it's not exactly the same engine, I believe the engine block is made in the same factory, is similar in design and many of the engine dynamics and operations (e.g., throttle-bodies dedicated to each cyclinder, etc.) are similar.

I think the BMW V10 was always considered one of the better, if not the most powerful, F1 engines back when it was being used. I think it was more so the hacks at Williams that couldn't put together a quality chasis to quite match the quality of the engine. (I'm sure Williams fans would vehimently disagree w/ me, but hey, I'm just sayin'...) Either way, the infighting between Williams and BMW (and the dominance of Ferrari at the time) had a lot to do w/ the inability of BMW Williams to win it all. Last year was the first for BMW Sauber, so it was unreasonable to expect more than was accomplished last year (and what was accomplished was actually above expectations).
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2007, 10:59 PM   #5
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SSII E90 M3

Kubica is KILLING me in my fantasy F1 league. Then again having the Spyker Engine/Chasis, is probbaly hurting more since they haven't finished an f-ing race:mad:
2009 E90 M3 | Silverstone II | Black Novillo | HRE P40's | Akrapovic Exhaust | Eibach Pro Kit | Jet Black Kidney Grilles | SSII Side Reflectors | SSII Side Gills | LUX H8 Angel Eyes | Macht Schnell Filter | Tecnocraft Envy Charge Pipe

"M3 drivers have no friends." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2007, 10:16 AM   #6
brandonlowe
Private
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 M3

F1 started running the 2.4L V8 in 2006, although the Torro Rosso team was still using a detuned 3.0L V10 at about 15500rpm rather than 19k rpm. What is really pathetic is that teams like Honda and Toyota have been unable to get to the front of the grid with any regularity . It is a great time for BMW to capitalize on that .
Appreciate 0