BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-31-2014, 05:01 PM   #23
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermar View Post
Thanks guys. And BTW - I know a m3 will never sound like a Ferrari - my hope was trying to convey that I'm after that higher pitch exotic sound vs the low and loud bark of large liter/cubic inch V8's.
Last year at the Montreal F1 there were some sweet cars downtown revving while waiting for the traffic lights. The small high rpm V8 sounds (to me) so much better than the giant lumpy bark of the
big motor cars. Just my humble opinion.

Anyway - other than cold start the stock system is all but silent.

I worry a little about MPE reputation to crack.

Likely will pull the trigger and order Monday. Considering ceramic coating.

Only the early ones cracked. It sounds like the crack develops within the first year or doesn't happen at all.

I agree that the M3's nice sound shouldn't be ruined with a deep boomy exhaust. The high-pitched exotic sound should be retained, which is why the MPE is perfect.
      05-31-2014, 05:26 PM   #24
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Only the early ones cracked. It sounds like the crack develops within the first year or doesn't happen at all.

I agree that the M3's nice sound shouldn't be ruined with a deep boomy exhaust. The high-pitched exotic sound should be retained, which is why the MPE is perfect.
Three years on and no issues ... cracked or peeling. Love at its original state and loving it even more with the test pipes and tune.
      05-31-2014, 08:40 PM   #25
lmendz71
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan Interlagos Blue

I loved mine since day one. I have noticed it too that it gets louder when it gets older and more mileage. Cold start sound is wicked!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 07:46 AM   #26
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I had my MPE installed about a month ago. I had an E90 M3 w e-sport, E63 M6 w/ Dinan, e-race, and Tubi sport. So heard quite a few. My favorite by far is the M6 w/ Tubi and supersprint x-pipe setup. It will rival just about any exotic for sound.

The MPE is a nice addition to the M3. It doesn't overtake the intake noises. But it has a "hollow" sound to it. It amplifies the existing noises in a "hollow echo" vs. creating its own "new" sound, IMO. It does burble at idle nicely, and has zero drone. The tips looks great. Overall you cant go wrong.

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 13 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2,R8 V8, R8 RWS
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 02:56 PM   #27
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

And if you aren't convinced yet, here's mine, which just went on the car yesterday - by the way, the video doesn't really do it much justice…it must be heard in person!

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 05:54 PM   #28
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Check out this video. It is probably the most accurate sound I have found online for the MPE. Obviously if your speakers are limiting then you will not get a true sound, but if you can play it through a full range sound system, this is how it sounds.

There is a mild drone right around 3100-3200 rpm at a steady cruise. It is mild and it has a VERY limited engine speed range. By 3300rpm it is gone. It is not a bassy drone either, but it is there...a mid frequency hum. For me it hits right around 72-73 mph.

In any case, the sound is simply intoxicating. Very racy, very complementary to the engine.

06-01-2014, 09:45 PM   #29
mermar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 330e xdrive

Thanks! Very helpful.
I gotta believe the rev matching downshifts sound better w the MPE as well...
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 03:56 PM   #30
mermar
Lieutenant
Rep

OP here - MPE ordered and will be installed this week. Anxious to hear the results. Really hoping it compliments the intake sound.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 05:29 PM   #31
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
I installed the M Performance Exhaust yesterday (and spent 2 hours detailing the rear underside : 0 ). Went on pretty easy, no issues-- other than prying off those red urethane exhaust hangers which is always fun.

So the first time I hit an on-ramp I was laughing out loud because the V8 howl is so unreal compared to stock! There is an interesting "hollow" tone to this exhaust in the midrange, like being in a concrete tunnel or something. They've obviously done some acoustic tuning with this one, and it complements the intake sound nicely. As stated by others, the E9x M3 should have come with this exhaust from the beginning, as it is not loud at all during normal driving and idling, but it does uncork the over-silenced V8 in a very good way. Tried a few hiway cruising speeds and had no drone whatsoever.

My next-door neighbor bought a new 435i coupe last week and I could see the gaping stares as I rumbled by today while they stood out front working on their landscaping . Ah, jealousy!

The tips are sitting level as installed, no fiddling was required, which was a relief. I believe the outer tip cans are titanium on this exhaust, and the the etched ///M logos on each tip looks classy. That original muffler is so heavy (50 pounds)! Seems like overkill, but I guess durability is #1 with OEM mufflers?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 06:56 PM   #32
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemdog View Post
I installed the M Performance Exhaust yesterday (and spent 2 hours detailing the rear underside : 0 ). Went on pretty easy, no issues-- other than prying off those red urethane exhaust hangers which is always fun.

So the first time I hit an on-ramp I was laughing out loud because the V8 howl is so unreal compared to stock! There is an interesting "hollow" tone to this exhaust in the midrange, like being in a concrete tunnel or something. They've obviously done some acoustic tuning with this one, and it complements the intake sound nicely. As stated by others, the E9x M3 should have come with this exhaust from the beginning, as it is not loud at all during normal driving and idling, but it does uncork the over-silenced V8 in a very good way. Tried a few hiway cruising speeds and had no drone whatsoever.

My next-door neighbor bought a new 435i coupe last week and I could see the gaping stares as I rumbled by today while they stood out front working on their landscaping . Ah, jealousy!

The tips are sitting level as installed, no fiddling was required, which was a relief. I believe the outer tip cans are titanium on this exhaust, and the the etched ///M logos on each tip looks classy. That original muffler is so heavy (50 pounds)! Seems like overkill, but I guess durability is #1 with OEM mufflers?
Just out of curiosity, when you stand behind the car, looking down on the tips and using the edge of the bumper as reference, do the left side tips come out as much as the right side tips? I wonder if I have to go back and readjust, but in my case the right tips are about an eighth of an inch further out than the left tips. 99% of the people wouldn't notice, but I'm very meticulous. I know of at least another BMW model that was notorious for having this type of unevenness with the exhaust tips, and much of it had to do with expansion and contraction.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 07:43 PM   #33
Semi-Poor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
Just out of curiosity, when you stand behind the car, looking down on the tips and using the edge of the bumper as reference, do the left side tips come out as much as the right side tips? I wonder if I have to go back and readjust, but in my case the right tips are about an eighth of an inch further out than the left tips. 99% of the people wouldn't notice, but I'm very meticulous. I know of at least another BMW model that was notorious for having this type of unevenness with the exhaust tips, and much of it had to do with expansion and contraction.

Thanks!
Just put a level to mine (cold) and both sides seem even. Look even by eye as well. In this post looks even in some photos but not in others may be angle of shot.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=493092
      06-02-2014, 07:54 PM   #34
mermar
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemdog View Post

Man - is this great to read .. Having just committed to this part - your review sounds exactly what I'm looking for. Subtle but a real enhancement when in a hooligan mood. Just hope it doesn't elicit adverse feedback from the car agnostic spouse.

Fun thing is I'm dropping off my M3 for oil change and MPE while I go to the F1 in Montreal. My dealer shuttles customers to the airport - so they will pick me up after a 3 days of F1 craziness - returning to a new MPE.

Last edited by mermar; 06-02-2014 at 08:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 07:54 PM   #35
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semi-Poor View Post
Just put a level to mine (cold) and both sides seem even. Look even by eye as well. In this post looks even in some photos but not in others may be angle of shot.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=493092
Maybe I didn't explain myself properly. Height-wise and side-to-side the tips are in symmetrical spots. I'm referring to how far the tips stick out backwards past the bumper. Based on the thread you provided, and looking at some of the detailed pictures, it appears that there is always one side that sticks out slightly more than the other. Easy way to tell is if you stand right behind your car and look down (almost looking on top of the trunk lid) and you move back a little until you can see the tips, there is a chance that you may see more of the tips on side than the other. Yu can also use the engraved ///M's as reference to see if both sides are sticking out equally or if there is a slight difference.

The difference is so minimal I almost don't want to bother with it…but I'm assuming the way to go about adjusting it would be by loosening the clamps where the pipes go into the mufflers, and pull/push each side until the tips are sticking out equally on both sides.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 12:28 AM   #36
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Just out of curiosity, when you stand behind the car, looking down on the tips and using the edge of the bumper as reference, do the left side tips come out as much as the right side tips? I wonder if I have to go back and readjust, but in my case the right tips are about an eighth of an inch further out than the left tips.

Thanks!
The tips on my MPE measure out almost exactly the same (side-to-side comparison) from the edge of the rear bodywork.

An interesting factoid from the BMW "S65B40 Engine" ebook at BMW University:
"Note: At maximum operating temperatures, the entire exhaust system
can expand in length by 35 mm."
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 12:38 AM   #37
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mermar View Post
Man - is this great to read .. Having just committed to this part - your review sounds exactly what I'm looking for. Subtle but a real enhancement when in a hooligan mood. Just hope it doesn't elicit adverse feedback from the car agnostic spouse.

Fun thing is I'm dropping off my M3 for oil change and MPE while I go to the F1 in Montreal. My dealer shuttles customers to the airport - so they will pick me up after a 3 days of F1 craziness - returning to a new MPE.
The wife will love it too, I promise. It's almost musical! Or, she might not even notice if you take it slow, hmmm.

Just don't go deaf at the races (so you can hear your new MPE)-- last few year's F1 cars were ungodly shrieky, but I haven't heard the 2014 versions in person yet though...
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 05:30 AM   #38
Semi-Poor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Coupe

Quote:
Maybe I didn't explain myself properly. Height-wise and side-to-side the tips are in symmetrical spots. I'm referring to how far the tips stick out backwards past the bumper. Based on the thread you provided, and looking at some of the detailed pictures, it appears that there is always one side that sticks out slightly more than the other. Easy way to tell is if you stand right behind your car and look down (almost looking on top of the trunk lid) and you move back a little until you can see the tips, there is a chance that you may see more of the tips on side than the other. Yu can also use the engraved ///M's as reference to see if both sides are sticking out equally or if there is a slight difference.

The difference is so minimal I almost don't want to bother with it…but I'm assuming the way to go about adjusting it would be by loosening the clamps where the pipes go into the mufflers, and pull/push each side until the tips are sticking out equally on both sides.
I understood and the level I used would show if one tip was "outside" the other i.e. sticking farther out. I also measured this morning and things looks pretty spot on relative to the bumper etc. I most likely would have noticed as these things drive me nuts as well. Little tinkering should do it, good luck.
      06-03-2014, 06:15 AM   #39
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semi-Poor
Quote:

The difference is so minimal I almost don't want to bother with itbut I'm assuming the way to go about adjusting it would be by loosening the clamps where the pipes go into the mufflers, and pull/push each side until the tips are sticking out equally on both sides.
I understood and the level I used would show if one tip was "outside" the other i.e. sticking farther out. I also measured this morning and things looks pretty spot on relative to the bumper etc. I most likely would have noticed as these things drive me nuts as well. Little tinkering should do it, good luck.
Thanks for the clarification! I'll loosen up the clamps where the pipes go into the mufflers and adjust...easy 5 minute task. Thanks again.

Dang I love this exhaust...it's changed my drive to work in the morning lol Though most people emphasize the 3k-6k rpm range, which is absolutely sweet, I'm loving the 2k rpm spot under load which sounds deeper than before, and "hallow" as others described.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 05:18 PM   #40
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

This thread has made me scrutinize my MPE alignment. I'm picky and this isn't going to bother me at all but to be nitpicky my left tips do extend a smidge further out than my right.

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 05:33 PM   #41
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denk View Post
This thread has made me scrutinize my MPE alignment. I'm picky and this isn't going to bother me at all but to be nitpicky my left tips do extend a smidge further out than my right.

I knew it! I'm not crazy lol … barely noticeable … mine is the same, I've actually convinced myself not to mess with it.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 07:21 PM   #42
nick3753
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
2017 Audi S6  [0.00]
1997 BMW 328i Touring  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denk

It's natural for the left to hang lower than the right.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 11:13 AM   #43
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick3753 View Post
It's not lower, the level is good, it just extends out a hair more on the left.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 11:47 AM   #44
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denk
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick3753 View Post
It's not lower, the level is good, it just extends out a hair more on the left.
I think he was just making a funny reference to the testicles lol
Appreciate 0