BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

01-16-2012, 09:26 AM   #1
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90

TrackDaze: Summit Point-May 19th and 20th

Who's going?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 12:07 PM   #2
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Which track - Main or Shenandoah?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 12:09 PM   #3
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnes View Post
Which track - Main or Shenandoah?
Shenandoah
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 01:03 PM   #4
dcgolfdr
Wheelsucker
United_States
Rep
Drives: Truck

I will probably be there. You should go their event at VIR earlier in May. There will be a bunch of us at that event.

Last edited by dcgolfdr; 01-16-2012 at 03:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 11:25 AM   #5
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgolfdr View Post
I will probably be there. You should go their event at VIR earlier in May. There will be a bunch of us at that event.
I know VIR is amazing. I'm a novice plus Summit Point is closer to me...hmmm...choices choices..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 02:49 PM   #6
dcgolfdr
Wheelsucker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
I know VIR is amazing. I'm a novice plus Summit Point is closer to me...hmmm...choices choices..
Summit may be closer but VIR blows it out of the water. Go to Summit with BMWCCA, they usually have 3-4 events there a year and Trackdaze goes there 3-4 times a year.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 07:55 PM   #7
Merlosso
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Results

I was planning to do some of the BMWCCA events at Summit Point as well as some of their autocross events. VIR is a much more exciting idea though. I am however a complete and total track novice. I mean I'm such a novice that I had to Google HPDE because I didn't know what it stood for. Unless I get credit for time spent behind my plastic toy steering wheel while playing - I mean training - on Forza, in which case I'm an advanced intermediate.

All joking aside, I'm serious about getting some track experience this year. Which of these events is the best place to start?

Last edited by Merlosso; 01-24-2012 at 07:57 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 06:27 AM   #8
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlosso View Post
I was planning to do some of the BMWCCA events at Summit Point as well as some of their autocross events. VIR is a much more exciting idea though. I am however a complete and total track novice. I mean I'm such a novice that I had to Google HPDE because I didn't know what it stood for. Unless I get credit for time spent behind my plastic toy steering wheel while playing - I mean training - on Forza, in which case I'm an advanced intermediate.

All joking aside, I'm serious about getting some track experience this year. Which of these events is the best place to start?
Either track is a good place to start, however, VIR is a world-class facility compared to SPR! A few years ago I was at VIR and in the driver's meeting this nice older gentleman was sitting next to me - this was his first track event ever and he was scared of the track and his car (911). Well, the next time I saw him was at VIR three months later and within that time he went from a novice to being in the advanced group with a fully stripped 911 that he was now trailering to the track! Being out on the track with him during the second event it was obvious he had come a long way in a short period of time and he now loved VIR!

In all seriousness, TrackDaze has excellent instructors so either track/facility will be fine for your first event.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 08:03 AM   #9
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlosso View Post

I figured Summit point would be a good starting point considering a) its the closest to where I live. b) I don't have to spend half a day driving to VIR.

Let me know if you're serious about going. I'm a novice as well and this would be my first HPDE.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 09:24 AM   #10
SchnellM3
Digger
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 E46 M3

Garage List
Quote:
I figured Summit point would be a good starting point considering a) its the closest to where I live. b) I don't have to spend half a day driving to VIR.

Let me know if you're serious about going. I'm a novice as well and this would be my first HPDE.
I'll bite

PMing you

Full Innotech Exhaust - DINAN Intake - IND Engine Bay Appearance - IND Hand Stitched Boot Covers - and much more....
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 09:44 AM   #11
dcgolfdr
Wheelsucker
United_States
Rep

Something else that I like about VIR is it has tons of run off space, not that I hope to ever need it. Shenandoah is a very tight track with barriers fairly close to the track, but speeds are much lower at Shenandoah. Also, when you go to VIR, they have the lodge right at the facility, nothing better than waking up and already being at the track.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 09:59 AM   #12
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:

VIR is definitely worth the trip down!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 10:00 AM   #13
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Something else that I like about VIR is it has tons of run off space, not that I hope to ever need it. Shenandoah is a very tight track with barriers fairly close to the track, but speeds are much lower at Shenandoah. Also, when you go to VIR, they have the lodge right at the facility, nothing better than waking up and already being at the track.
Well stated
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 10:17 AM   #14
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
VIR is an amazing track but for those of us living east or north of Baltimore-its quite a hike especially if we only plan on spending one day at the track. The closest tracks to Baltimore are Summit Point and Watkins Glen in upstate NY or even NJMP.

I would stay for 2 days when I head to VIR considering the hike. Being under a 2hr driving window to and from the track is great if I want to come back and bunk in my own home at night.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 09:04 PM   #15
Merlosso
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Results

Quote:

Yeah, I'm serious about doing both but I think I will start with the BMWCCA Summit Point event on 4/21 and 4/22. I'll do a trackdaze event at VIR another time.

In the meantime I'm registered for the AutoX School on 3/17 and as soon as registration opens for the autocross event for 3/24 I'll book that too (both are with the BMWCCA).
Appreciate 0