BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

02-20-2012, 01:56 PM   #1
Draven
C7Z - Darkside
Rep
Drives: '18 Z06 M7

Selling a car: Good etiquette?

Short version: Guy offered a car for sale for $x. I counter-offered for $y with both comparable cars around the country and blue book ($4k lower). I expected to negotiate a sum in between, and even told him the color combo and options were worth it to me to pay on the higher side.

Two weeks later, he replies that he just put $4k in upgrades on the car, and now wants $x+$$$$(hasn't said how much more).

I've resolved myself to the fact that the seller isn't actually interested in selling the vehicle, but I'm also probably reacting emotionally since I'm disappointed with the back-and-forth and the details changing every time I finally get a response from him about the car. What do you guys think? Am I overreacting or is it poor etiquette?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 02:08 PM   #2
MadDog
Careful, I Bite.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [7.50]
If he's selling the car, why is he upgrading it?? Now he's expecting to recoup the total cost of his upgrades?

He definitely doesn't sound like he's serious about selling.

Time to move on.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 03:17 PM   #3
Draven
C7Z - Darkside
Rep
Drives: '18 Z06 M7

That was my thought too - he isn't serious, and I'm not really serious anymore about trying to work out a deal with him if he can't even give definitives. Price / Car / Options / Extras. The only thing he's answered definitively is the car. The price changed, he was unclear on options, and the extras changed.

Oh well, what can you do, right.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 04:11 PM   #4
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

What most people do not know especially sellers is in most state under common law, an agreed for a selling price and sometimes a hand shake is a deal that must be honored by both parties. I have send and read where an individual has gone after another party because they backed out of a deal like selling a car at the last minute due to buyer or seller remorse.

I personally hate people who agree to something and then at the last minute try and renegotiate the deal thinking you have no choose but to agree with them. Grant it I will not take them to court, but it can be done to have the original deal honored.

The most recent on was the guy agreed on the the price and then showed up with half of what we agreed upon in hopes I would not let him walk away with the cash, I offer to take him to bank if needed. It is just stupid games people play.
Appreciate 0