BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-06-2014, 08:28 PM   #1
woptang22
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 BMW M3

RD Sport springs vs Swift Spec R springs?

Im looking to buy a set of lowering springs for my 09 e92 M3. Ive searched but cant find much comparison between the RD sports and Swift Spec R. On some websites I see the Rd's go lower, but on other sites they show the exact same lowering capability as the Swift. In comparison, what are people suggestions on these two lowering springs? I cant make up my mind. My car is an everyday driver and wont see the track.
      08-07-2014, 11:15 AM   #2
swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

I have the swifts and seen the RDsports. RDs are definitely lower if that's what you are after.
Past: Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Saph Black e60 530, Space Grey N54 e92 335, Mineral White N55 e92 335
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 12:16 PM   #3
woptang22
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
I have the swifts and seen the RDsports. RDs are definitely lower if that's what you are after.
Just looking for a decent drop that doesn't sacrifice too much comfort. I want one of the two , just not sure which. And thank you for the helpful response. I just haven't seen many comparisons between RD Sport and Swift.
      08-08-2014, 04:34 AM   #4
swifty
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by woptang22
Quote:
Just looking for a decent drop that doesn't sacrifice too much comfort. I want one of the two , just not sure which. And thank you for the helpful response. I just haven't seen many comparisons between RD Sport and Swift.
The swifts are better in my opinion. Some ppl complain of too much bounce with the RD where as the swifts settle quick due it it being linear.
Past: Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Saph Black e60 530, Space Grey N54 e92 335, Mineral White N55 e92 335
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 05:07 AM   #5
woptang22
Major
Rep

Quote:
The swifts are better in my opinion. Some ppl complain of too much bounce with the RD where as the swifts settle quick due it it being linear.
Thank you once again. I feel as if Im leaning towards the swifts, but like the look of the RD being a tad bit lower. Ive found websites listing different #'s for how much drop you get from the RD Sports. So Im not sure what the true drop is with RD Sport. But as long as the car can be put back into alignment without tire wear, Id like to go with the lower of the two. I don't want to slam the car at all, but the look of the RD sports seem to be a perfect drop IMO. Than again, I haven't seen a negative review about Swift Spec R.
      08-08-2014, 10:35 AM   #6
swifty
Colonel
Rep

I figured you were looking for the lowest ride possible hence the RD sport suggestion. However when I was doing my research I got both positive and negative feedback which was never the case with the swifts.

Also another thing to note is that for some reason all the e90s running Swifts tend to have less fender gap in the front than the e92 cars so that's another thing to consider since u have the 4 door.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 10:38 AM   #7
Sirius Black
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [5.00]
Here is my car on RD Sport springs. I'm running Turner spacers 15f/12r. The ride is fine IMO, but there is a little bounciness to it that I don't feel from cars with KW coilovers. I do like the ride much better than the stock springs though.

If your mostly concerned with the perfect amount of drop after settling, then I find it hard to not recommend the RD springs.
Attached Images

08-09-2014, 12:13 PM   #8
woptang22
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius Black View Post
Here is my car on RD Sport springs. I'm running Turner spacers 15f/12r. The ride is fine IMO, but there is a little bounciness to it that I don't feel from cars with KW coilovers. I do like the ride much better than the stock springs though.

If your mostly concerned with the perfect amount of drop after settling, then I find it hard to not recommend the RD springs.
Looks really nice. Im loving the stance. Actually looks really low for just springs. Any issue getting it back into alignment at that height? How much did this lower your ride from stock?
      08-09-2014, 02:22 PM   #9
Sirius Black
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [5.00]
No issues with alignment. Front dropped about 1.2", rear almost an inch.
      08-09-2014, 04:54 PM   #10
woptang22
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius Black View Post
No issues with alignment. Front dropped about 1.2", rear almost an inch.
Ok so these do drop a bit more than other lowering springs such as Swift Spec R. Ive did a bit of research about both. On every website swift is rated as 1" front and .7" rear. But the RD Sport has different #'s on different websites. So Im not sure what to believe. But being you have the sedan and I have coupe, would the RD Sports be different on my car than on yours? Or same drop?
      08-09-2014, 06:55 PM   #11
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Im going with the swift. They are probably the best springs you can purchase for our car, but drop is more conservative than others on the market
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 07:34 PM   #12
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
Im going with the swift. They are probably the best springs you can purchase for our car, but drop is more conservative than others on the market
I am looking to buy some aftermarket springs and leaning towards Swift because of the good reviews. What makes you go with swift ... have you had any experience?

I like to hear from someone who had driven other aftermarket springs on their E9x M3 platform how it compares handling-wise. For me, more than the looks, I want improved handling while not compromising on the driving dynamics of the car overall.

Would appreciate some input and detail comparison to make this decision. Thank you guys in advance
      08-10-2014, 06:12 PM   #13
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3 View Post
I am looking to buy some aftermarket springs and leaning towards Swift because of the good reviews. What makes you go with swift ... have you had any experience?

I like to hear from someone who had driven other aftermarket springs on their E9x M3 platform how it compares handling-wise. For me, more than the looks, I want improved handling while not compromising on the driving dynamics of the car overall.

Would appreciate some input and detail comparison to make this decision. Thank you guys in advance
Swift Spec-R springs are perfect on the M3. I've had mine for a while and finally had time to get my car out on track yesterday at Cal Speedway. The spring rates are perfectly matched to the EDC dampers in all three modes. I used Sport for most of my time on track and I thought that body control was excellent, I could drive right through the fairly tall curbs and the car didn't bounce at all. I also tried Normal on the track, on street tires it's nice to have a little more compliance to help get the power down but I felt like the car was more eager to turn in in Sport mode. I love Normal mode in the canyons because of how planted the car is no matter how cracked and bumpy the pavement usually is. On the street, the ride in Comfort is very similar to stock. In all modes, body roll is drastically reduced, the car absorbs bumps very well and the ride height isn't low enough to worry about speed bumps or drive ways. The linear springs give me more confidence on corner entry because I can feel what the tires are doing more easily and the car responds more immediately to my inputs.

I never driven on RD Sport springs but have tried most of the other progressive lowering springs available on my previous E82, E90, and E92. You would think that progressive springs would be a lot more comfortable but the EDC dampers soak up bumps so well that there isn't much of a difference on the M3. On non-M cars (or M3s without EDC), there is a pretty substantial benefit in ride quality with progressive springs but if you care about handling and road feel, linear is absolutely the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 02:23 AM   #14
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
Swift Spec-R springs are perfect on the M3. I've had mine for a while and finally had time to get my car out on track yesterday at Cal Speedway. The spring rates are perfectly matched to the EDC dampers in all three modes. I used Sport for most of my time on track and I thought that body control was excellent, I could drive right through the fairly tall curbs and the car didn't bounce at all. I also tried Normal on the track, on street tires it's nice to have a little more compliance to help get the power down but I felt like the car was more eager to turn in in Sport mode. I love Normal mode in the canyons because of how planted the car is no matter how cracked and bumpy the pavement usually is. On the street, the ride in Comfort is very similar to stock. In all modes, body roll is drastically reduced, the car absorbs bumps very well and the ride height isn't low enough to worry about speed bumps or drive ways. The linear springs give me more confidence on corner entry because I can feel what the tires are doing more easily and the car responds more immediately to my inputs.

I never driven on RD Sport springs but have tried most of the other progressive lowering springs available on my previous E82, E90, and E92. You would think that progressive springs would be a lot more comfortable but the EDC dampers soak up bumps so well that there isn't much of a difference on the M3. On non-M cars (or M3s without EDC), there is a pretty substantial benefit in ride quality with progressive springs but if you care about handling and road feel, linear is absolutely the way to go.
Thank you very much for your reflection and experience. Sounds good to me.
      08-11-2014, 11:05 AM   #15
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3 View Post

Remonster put it perfectly. I've been running mine for a while now (one of the early guys to put them on) and absolutely adore them. The drop is PERFECT (not too ridiculously low), the ride is very OEM ish, and the handling is great.

To me, you get the looks, and the springs ride about same as normal OEM springs with EDC in Sport mode. Highly recommend these. A local member recommended them to me, and I've recommended the Swifts to many other members and they've been very happy with them.

Perfect drop I was talking about:

P.S. I liked them just as much on the road as on the track
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 02:03 PM   #16
JPH704
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Huracan Performante & 720s

Swift have one of the best reputations in the industry. Had them on some Aragosta coilovers years ago and loved them! Can't go wrong with swift.
      08-11-2014, 04:56 PM   #17
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Remonster put it perfectly. I've been running mine for a while now (one of the early guys to put them on) and absolutely adore them. The drop is PERFECT (not too ridiculously low), the ride is very OEM ish, and the handling is great.

To me, you get the looks, and the springs ride about same as normal OEM springs with EDC in Sport mode. Highly recommend these. A local member recommended them to me, and I've recommended the Swifts to many other members and they've been very happy with them.

That stance is perfect and thank you for the input. It's a matter of getting one over from NA given that there are no retailers in Australia.
      08-11-2014, 08:34 PM   #18
SilentAttack
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 Jerez Black 6MT

I have the swift. They ride great and I love them for that. I do wish the Front was about 1" lower and the rear 1/2" lower though (I like low cars). I was torn between the two as well and to be honest the only reason I got the Swift springs is because they were cheaper and the ratings were better...
      08-12-2014, 05:28 AM   #19
woptang22
Major
Rep

In my opinion the stance of your car looks perfect. It seems IMO your car looks a bit lower than most Ive seen with Swift springs. Im wondering if it has anything to do with your wheel/tire setup. What size wheels and tires are you running. Its unbelievable how perfect your car sits. This photo pretty much just made my mind up. Swift seems like the way to go for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post

08-12-2014, 07:29 AM   #20
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by woptang22 View Post
In my opinion the stance of your car looks perfect. It seems IMO your car looks a bit lower than most Ive seen with Swift springs. Im wondering if it has anything to do with your wheel/tire setup. What size wheels and tires are you running. Its unbelievable how perfect your car sits. This photo pretty much just made my mind up. Swift seems like the way to go for sure.
Wheels are
19x9.5 up front, with 245/35 (stretched I know, waiting to go 275/30)
19x11 in the rear, 295/35

My wheels could make them look like they are more aggressive, but IMO the drop is perfect. Plus if you are considering running a lip, I wouldn't want to go any lower than this either, because it's already possible to scrape if you aren't careful.

A few more pics. Again, keep in mind my front tires are stretched, so it could look even more aggressive:

07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 03:26 PM   #21
Sirius Black
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by woptang22 View Post
Ok so these do drop a bit more than other lowering springs such as Swift Spec R. Ive did a bit of research about both. On every website swift is rated as 1" front and .7" rear. But the RD Sport has different #'s on different websites. So Im not sure what to believe. But being you have the sedan and I have coupe, would the RD Sports be different on my car than on yours? Or same drop?
Good question, and I don't have an answer for that. Can't imagine it would differ too much though.
      08-15-2014, 10:37 AM   #22
swifty
Colonel
Rep

OP look at the thread below of another e90 member dropped on swifts. This is the 2nd picture I've seen of an e90 on swifts were the gap is less than the e92.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=889048
Appreciate 0