BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

09-25-2012, 11:07 AM   #45
ChrisDUS
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
Yea but top speed removal is practically useless in most countries. And cold start isn't loud until your stock cats are out.
Or you have the OEM exhaust mod...
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 12:04 PM   #46
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
N/A tunes are highly overpriced when you consider the HP per dollar. $1000 for a couple HP is pretty ridiculous. But I can't fault you for doing it because I've done it as well. The gains are barely noticeable, IMO. I think some of the rave reviews on this forum are mostly a result of the placebo effect. Some people act as if they just strapped a supercharger to the car after their tune on a stock car. It's quite the opposite in reality. As others have mentioned the value starts to show a bit when you are replacing stock cats.
I agree with you..its just that the OP didn't want to go down that road. While for me I would go for the low hanging fruit first ala pullies and a drop in.

This can get you 10-15rwhp or close to it.

Dave
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 12:28 PM   #47
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe

Unless you have no primary cats I dont think a tune is at worth it and even if you do have them removed it may not be.
I have a full bolt on car (full catless/dual resonated x pipe, exhaust, filter and pulleys as far as power mods go) and I do not have a tune but the car is noticably much faster. I doubt a tune giving me an extra 10 hp after ive already gained about 30-35 from the other mods will make any difference in terms of speed. My car sounds phenomenal, pulls hard and is much better driving than the stock car was.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 02:45 PM   #48
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Have the ESS tune and can say definitely is worth it. Not only does it feel faster/rev quicker, for those who claim it's placebo, collect some real world data: track, autox, or instrumented testing. All I can say is based on longer-track autoX times (ie my fastest runs) and vs other similarly skilled E9x drivers (actually all lighter coupes), and using measurement various tools for in-gear and top-gear acceleration from 20-60 mph (has yielded apprx .1-.17 secs over mutliple runs consistently (before and after and before again). Couple that with a lot of dyno results and everything seems pretty corroborative. If truly a coin toss/performance explained by other variables, then would think you have a lot of people complaining about slower track autox times/worse dynos post tune. If these tunes are in fact putting 15-20 whp on dynos (18-24 crnk hp), the cars should be modestly faster.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 03:44 PM   #49
Rich_Jenkins
Riff Raff Refugee
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ram 1500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
Makes the car act normal when you start it cold. Gets rid of the loud noise that stays on with cold start, and makes the car incredibly smoother and less jerky when cold.

Thanks Mark and Dave
Ah so thanks.

I know exactly what you are talking about now lol. Sometimes it feels like I am driving a pogo stick when it's cold.
Character does count. For too long we have gotten by in a society that says the only thing right is to get by and the only thing wrong is to get caught. Character is doing what's right when nobody is looking... " --J. C. Watts
Appreciate 0