BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

EXXEL Distributions

06-17-2010, 12:19 PM   #1
Johan@WSTO
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 Z4

Japan Tuner Spotlight: WSTO Visits STUDIE TOKYO

WSTO visits Studie Tokyo!

I had never been as excited as I was about visiting tuner shops as I was when visiting Studie. The excitement of visiting Tokyo Auto Salon had left me in daze that I had still not awaken from when I went to visit Studie. Studie has five locations; Yokohama, Tokyo, Kobe, Sendai and Kidnie. I had the honor of visiting 2 of those fine establishments, Tokyo (their latest which opened last year) and the main hub, Studie Yokohama.

Studie Tokyo did not look at all like a tuning shop. In fact, it really had the aura and the feel of an automobile museum. Upon entering, the display of miniature versions of BMW Motorsport’s finest from the past and present enables guests to submerge in the history of BMW at a single glance.

Just past the entry way, you will find 2 cars on display. The famous Super GT series Studie GLAD R@cing widebody Z4 and another icon from the past, the 1998 Super Touring Car Series champion Fina BMW E36 320, driven by Johnny Cecotto for BMW Motorsport Team Schnitzer.

The Z4 caught my attention right away, with the widebody BMW motorsport shell wrapped in the bright livery of Japanese Anime. This Z4 is an active duty race car and although I was not able to inspect it closer, the Stack instruments, full roll cage, huge “GT” wings, CF diffuser and hood (built by VRS) and BBS center-lock wheels was enough to let me know that this was one serious machine.

The Fina E36 320 may not share the exciting livery and persona of the Z4, but all BMW enthusiasts will know that this is that one car that brought BMW Motorsport back into the world of Motorsport Racing and BMW’s decision to come back to F1 in the late 90’s.
The most amazing thing about this car is that it is not a mere replica but the true shell of the actual car that made it impact in Nurburgring, in 1998.

Although, it has retired from racing duties, Studie has resurrected the spirit of racing by transforming it into an actual “Gran Turismo” Game console. Yes, this car is a game console! Patrons of Studie are able to strap into the racing bucket seats and drive the car in simulation. The illusion of reality and all motory senses are amplified when you turn the ignition of the game “on” and realize that the windshield is a special projector screen. Wow... my mouth was ajar.

For Studie, this was not merely a scheme to attract customers, but a solution for them to share their passion for BMW and motorsport with customers. This passion and vision is evident throughout every corner of the shop and in all the individuals that work at Studie.

As in any place I have gone to in Japan, I was greeted invitingly and cordially by the receptionist. The white color scheme and the bright colors of the shop are modern and very inviting. Clients of Studie are able to walk right up to the meet the Studie team and discuss matters of modification, maintenance and receive consultation from any one of the members of the Studie team. The process reflects Stuide’s motto “TDMM” which is an acronym for Tuning, Dress up, Maintenance, and Motorsports. Studie’s goal is to provide the very best service by sharing the mutual passion for BMW in order to meet the need of its clients.

I shook hands with Studie Tokyo’s manager, Aizawa-san Although, we did not speak the same language, mutual respect and knowledge about each other’s shops as well as the shared passion for BMW really allowed us quickly get acquainted and share many ideas and views on BMW tuning.

On the walls of Studie Tokyo, you will find pictures and pieces of art (valve covers) that are symbolic of BMW. The shop is filled with the latest parts and accessories from corner to corner. Well known brands like BBS, KW, Bilstein, Arqray, ARC, Hamann, ACSchnitzer to name a few were easily accessible to customers to feel and inspect.

We have all seen BBS wheels and as a dealer for BBS in the US, we have seen our share of them, but to have a wall of 9 BBS’s finest specimens was simply amazing. Not to mention that you can’t get 4 of them stateside, the RE-V, RE Mg, RE-Y and the special edition gloss black face RG-R.

It was time to walk out of the shop and inspect Studie’s many project cars and customer’s cars that they have built. The first car that caught my eye as we walked out into the parking lot was this green widebody Z4. This car belongs to the owner of Studie, “Bob” and is nicknamed “kero kero” (famous japanese frog). The black BBS RE-Mg as well as the highly sort after “Golf” ball shift knob really tells me how serious that are about the cars that they build.

The next car that caught my attention was the E82 135i with BMW Performance body. Although, you can’t tell from the seemingly stock exterior looks, this is a fully custom built car, ready for the tracks of Fuji Speedway.

The interior is full custom “Red” leather and suede on BMW performance seats, and steering wheel. Performance is boosted with a healthy dose of power from Active Autowere ECU upgrade, intercooler and blow off valve with the HKS oil cooler to help keep things in check.

The exterior is all BMW performance with custom lighting by Bellof and Hella. Chassis stiffening is by ARC and special body dampers developed by Studie and Yamaha. Although, it is currently wearing E46 Competition wheels, this car the cover model for the Advan RZ for BMW wheels.

Of course there were many other customer cars. Perhaps too many for me to list and talk about. I did make sure to do a more than my share of scrutinizing the mods on these cars, such as this very clean specimen of E60 M5 with AVS F7 wheels and the full AC Schnitzer E46 M3.

Past the parking lot, I was led to where all the work is done. Against the backdrop of Studie’s slogan “We were born 2 run”, Studie Tokyo’s pit was much like their shop; clean and well organized and simply impressive. Parts and tools were well organized and catalogued.

Two cars were up on the lifts when I visited Studie Tokyo; Black AC Schnitzer Z4 and the widebody E92 M3. I recognized, the pink widebody M3, right away. The M3 was fully built with Schubert Motorsport’s wide body with BBS FI wheels. At this point, I had only heard and seen the BBS FI wheels through the internet. The sight of seeing them totally left me in awe. And to do them in a custom “pink” paint job, was an even bigger shocker. Too many times, have I seen a widebody with generic wheels that did not match up well. With the help of KW coilovers, the stance and fitment of the wheels was close to perfect.

The amount of customization and effort that has gone to this car is simply unearthly. Arqray has developed a unique, one-of-a-kind exhaust system so that they can use the fully functional diffuser for increased downforce.

The perfect marriage of BBS FI and Brembo Racing brakes

This pink M3 belongs to Aizawa-san (manager of Studie Tokyo). He drives it on a regular basis, taking it to the tracks whenever he can, where it is most happy. Regular roads in Tokyo may allow it, but I am not too sure the car will survive the roads of Chicago.

AC Schnitzer Japan

Another unique thing about Studie Tokyo is the fact that they share the building as well as the entrance with AC Schnitzer Japan. Of course, I had to check them out. As soon as I walk in, the first thing that amazed me was the car: BMW AC SChnitzer E36 M3 CLS II.
With a 2900cc engine, it can churn out 350 BHP and has a maximum torque of 355Nm. It recorded 8:16 at the Nurburgring Nordschleife in 1997. What is equally impressive is of course its weight reduction through advanced material such as carbon Kevlar which is used in every corner of its cockpit and exterior.

Although, we are a dealer for AC SChnitzer, we have never seen this many different varieties of AC Schnitzer products in one place.

Outside, I witnessed 2 other high profile AC Schnitzer Concept cars, the ACS Profile and the ACS6 Falcon. The white and orange 2-tone was as distinct as the design of the ACS Z4. What really impressed me is the fact that I was looking that the ACS concept car, not in a show but on a parking lot in Tokyo.

After the tour of the Studie Tokyo, I wanted to live there. It was BMW heaven and I understood why so many seek the expertise and leave their prized BMW at the hands of Studie. The service and products that Studie provides is top notch in every sense.

WSTO is humbled and in many ways feel proud to share a partnership with Studie, to share tuning ideas and philosophies for BMW owners in the USA.

I had to leave Studie Tokyo and head out to the Heart and Soul of Studie in Yokohama. With anticipation building up and not knowing what to expect or even comprehend how it can be any better than this, I bid farewell to the crew at Studie Tokyo.

Hope you enjoyed this episode of WSTO Japan Shop Tour: Studie Tokyo. Stay tuned for more...
      06-17-2010, 12:35 PM   #2
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

great write up and pics. some of those cars seem straight out of a video game and the one that actually is! looking forward to reading more.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 12:41 PM   #3
Nate@IND
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

You guys already know how much I love Studie!
      06-17-2010, 12:42 PM   #4
R3DBULL
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Japan Red 06' 330i

Studie is amazing, but then again, so is WSTO!

You are one lucky guy to have visited all those tuners Julius!

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 12:57 PM   #5
Kenyon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

INSANE!!!!
Japanese people are on a whole other level when it comes to styling
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 01:30 PM   #6
Johnny Lin
Lieutenant General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3

Thanks so much for sharing. I got to go to Japan and visit all these shops.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 01:37 PM   #7
amk6453
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3 & X4M40i

Garage List
2017 BMW X4 M40i  [0.00]
2001 BMW 330ci  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
      06-17-2010, 03:07 PM   #8
T89
Lieutenant Colonel
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i & Mini Cooper S

Great write up. thanks for sharing!

T
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 08:37 PM   #9
noxredna
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 M3, 1M, F10 M5

Amaaazzzing... keep the interest rates low and inflation coming for the Yen and the younger Japanese generation would rather spend time and money (or I would say invest) in their cars than putting it in banks or capital markets.

Thanks soo much for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 09:08 PM   #10
dawgdog
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2016 GT3

Just like a huge toystore.
      06-17-2010, 09:21 PM   #11
The__J__Factor
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M Coupe

I think studie has tuned more then half of all the z4s in japan... awesome to see someone giving them some love still.
Z4 M Coupe - H&R - RE Diablo - RPi - Tekarbon - Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 09:24 PM   #12
phile92
pok gai, ho fai
United_States
Rep
Drives: truck-boat-truck

great pics.

and the pair of red sporter cs in the 135i! wow. i need that i my car.
      06-17-2010, 09:24 PM   #13
UsualSuspect
Lieutenant General ***
United_States
Rep
Drives: this way and that way...

Thanks for sharing the photos.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 09:39 PM   #14
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
A Very Nice Toy Store!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 09:47 PM   #15
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
Wow... When I was in Tokyo I went through Yokohama and missed this place.... Looks great!!

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 09:52 PM   #16
E90///M3`
Major General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW E90 M3  [7.60]
great pics and nice write up! Studie makes some of the craziest lookin' cars!
:Videos: EnvyRidesTV, GPR 1, GPR 2, GPR 3, ///MFEST
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 10:05 PM   #17
Prit@Euro Autowerx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Fantastic!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 10:15 PM   #18
Alex@Alpine
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Out of this world...
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 10:20 PM   #19
samuraisaiyo
First Lieutenant
Thailand
Rep
Drives: 318i E36

Wow
      06-17-2010, 11:20 PM   #20
e92_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 m3

All I could say is WOW!

Their styling is so different from ours.

Looks good and functional at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 11:21 PM   #21
akhter
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 911 992 C2S

Garage List
I have been to the Yokohama HQ 2 yrs ago which is not quite as impressive. The Tokyo shop is new and was under construction when I lived in Tokyo.

They have some great stuff but extremely pricey. For example a e90 335i piggyback like the SSTT cost 95,000 JPY which is about USD1200. Yes its more than double. The Style 313 wheels with tyres cost 700,000 JPY which is USD 8000. yes also double...
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 11:25 PM   #22
dc5 jet
Rep
Drives: rsx type s / e90 330i

W O W .

delusionally beautiful.
Appreciate 0