BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

08-05-2008, 08:23 PM   #1
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

19" Wheels - Minor Scuffs and Great Repair Procedure

Well the time had to come, if you drive your car "normally" are often in a hurry and parallel park sometimes, I think some wheel scuffs are pretty much inevitable. They were at least for me . I scuffed the right front then about a week later the right rear. I wish I had some before and after pictures but was so pissed and in a hurry to get a fix done, I don't. These were my first two scratches on my new baby and I'm sure you can relate to that sinking feeling when you hear and feel your wheel grind on a curb. Even a pretty minor scuff makes a terrible noise and sensation. Despite not having pics you'll have to trust me this worked KILLER. If you are a perfectionist - the kind that will examine his/her wheels with a microscope and obsess over anything less than a perfect and new looking wheel, forget it. You'll have to have the wheel entirely professionally refinished to get back to there. This gets you 90% of the way there with about 30 minutes of easy do it yourself work.

A bit more about the scuffs. Mine were only about 1" or so long. They had paint transfer from the curb as well as clear coat removal and some fairly deep gouge/scratches in the alumimum itself. Although not terrible I kind of felt that cosmetically my wheels were ruined. Man was I kicking myself in the ass...

This works particularly well in two cases. 1. With 19 inch OEM wheels. Why? Because they are basically a polished aluminum finish, which will match the raw aluminum finish you get with these steps. 2. With fairly light gouging of the aluminum. It should be painfully obvious but do not use this procedure if you do not have at least some gouging/scratching in the aluminum itself. If you have escaped with just paint transfer or lighter scratches you could try either just the rubbing compound or the 600 grit + rubbing compound.

Steps:
  • Get yourself a good combo pack of sand paper (Home Depot) including 60-80 grit all the way to 600 in about 4 steps. I used 80, 120, 220, 600. You could go more steps in finer increments but I would not go less.
  • Tape off the area just slightly larger than the damaged area with masking tape.
  • Begin sanding with the coarse. The idea here is to remove as little aluminum as possible but still remove as many of the gouges/scratches as possible. Here I mean the gouges/scratched directly in the base aluminum of the wheel.
  • You only need to sand with each grit for a couple dozen passes or so
  • Continue to work your way to finer and finer grits. You will see the raw unfinished aluminum better and better as well as be removing just a bit of paint/clear coat along the very outer edges of the area you taped off.
  • Finish up with the finest grit.
  • If you see any gouges that you can remove by switching back to a corser grit you can go back to coarse then back again to fine. Just make sure you watch your wheel for any flat spotting or excessive material removal.
  • After the last passes with the finest paper use some automotive paint polishing compound "rubbing compound" and a rag to scrub the area aggressively. Just dab some compound on the rag and hit it 5-10 times back and forth with a lot of pressure.
  • Viola - remove the tape and enjoy a wheel that will look undamaged to the naked eye and by a quick glance.

The only remaining step will be to finds a suitable clear coat that can be brushed on. Almost everything "off the shelf" in a spay can will be not nearly durable enough for a car wheel. Any suggestions here on a good material for the clear coat is welcomed.

I truly hope this makes at least one of you feel very relieved at your carelessness in banging up your beautiful 19s on your M. Enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 02:19 PM   #2
M2381
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, GTI

Thanks for taking the time to write this! It's extremely helpful and I have a feeling that I will scuff them soon
      08-06-2008, 02:26 PM   #3
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

thanks swamp...hopefully i never have to use this.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 03:05 PM   #4
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
The only remaining step will be to finds a suitable clear coat that can be brushed on.
BMW touch up paint comes in a 2-pack with clear as one part of the set.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 04:07 PM   #5
WCH
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M8C convertible

Garage List
Thanks for this. I scuffed one this weekend and agree that it almost physically hurts when you do it. Glad to hear that this turned out well and I plan to give it a try.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 04:31 PM   #6
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
BMW touch up paint comes in a 2-pack with clear as one part of the set.
Thanks.

Regular body colored paint is what you are referring to?

Although probably a decent mix, I'd bet there is a better choice for the clear.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 06:25 PM   #7
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Nice writeup Marshall. I scratched my right rear wheel up two months ago while talking to my mother on the phone. Twas' a sad day.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 09:36 AM   #8
ChinoOrtega
Captain
Guatemala
Rep
Drives: 991 C2S

I'll do this today and post some before and after pics, thanks swamp!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 09:40 PM   #9
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Nice write-up....on that note my E36's wheels are bare aluminum with a little off the shelf clear coat. However, the clear coat is mostly gone now and I am seeing some staining now. You will need something really strong to hold up and I will be interested to see what you come up with!

Jason
      08-07-2008, 10:42 PM   #10
Johan@WSTO
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 Z4

thanks for the info..... this is really helpful
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 09:02 PM   #11
newtom3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Coupe

actually ... this does NOT work. It turns out on my 09 BMW M3 the 19" wheel surface is painted (and clear coated)... it looks like naked aluminum, but it's not... there is definitely a paint, duller/greyer/silver than aluminum.

This procedure by the OP is great, but it only preps you for a real paint application afterwards. I am just going to have the body shop do it.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2009, 08:55 PM   #12
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

^

Depends on your standards.

-It certainly is true that th OEM 19s are painted and clear coated. The whole reason this works pretty well for MINOR scuffs is that this combination of paint and clear looks very similar to polished aluminum.
-This is clearly a good alternative in terms of price/cost/effort to a full wheel refinish.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2009, 09:36 PM   #13
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Wheel repairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
^

Depends on your standards.

-It certainly is true that the OEM 19s are painted and clear coated. The whole reason this works pretty well for MINOR scuffs is that this combination of paint and clear looks very similar to polished aluminum.
-This is clearly a good alternative in terms of price/cost/effort to a full wheel refinish.
If you're a perfectionist, it would serve you well to find a good wheel refinishing shop. I have a great local guy that would charge about $150 (including dismount, mount & balance) for this, but it would be PERFECT.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2009, 09:58 PM   #14
dawgdog
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2016 GT3

I have scuffed the wheels of my e46 M3, and my 550 with M5 (style 166) and others. I had "the wheel guy" I was referred to by my SA repair them and he was mobile. Cost about $50 wheel and a very good job. You would really have to examine the wheel closely to tell there was any damage, and even then you might not detect it.
      01-19-2009, 11:42 PM   #15
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

This is a great quick way to at least smooth things over, thanks swamp.

The link below contains a detailed run through of a more involved process. Not sure I would want to attempt it but it looks like for the more patient perfectionist that doesn't want to go to the wheel shop that it would get you more "finished" results.

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/ext43.shtml
Appreciate 0