BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

08-07-2008, 10:08 PM   #23
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

BTW, it seems like some people missed this thread:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159761

Here we have a picture of the E92 M3 interior with the new iDrive in Fox Red. Of course, you could still argue that that's actually an E90 interior shown there. But I think the fact that the Press car is Le Mans with Fox Red interior pretty much seals it (at least for me).

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 10:31 PM   #24
hkwallace328
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, X5 4.8I

Actually the OP clearly state that the fox red interior is an E92, while sliver is an e90
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 10:34 PM   #25
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
I saw that thread when it came out. Just one question, why did you take those two pictures from two completely different posts and juxtapose them here as if they appeared together?
Detective work.

Look at the paint near the top of the interior pic. Its a tiny sliver but that is definitely blue there. Also, do you notice how the other interior shots match the interior of the E90 press car from the same photoset?

Quote:
The OP clearly said the interior pictures were from the E90 -- in two separate posts. And the LM Blue pictures didn't appear until many posts later.
Well south wrote that before he even had the E92 pics. Also, I don't think he realized that the interior shots had a corresponding exterior shots in the same photoset.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 10:35 PM   #26
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
But I would take 10:1 odds from anybody who is as sure as yourself. And if you're so sure, you shouldn't have a problem giving me 10:1 odds.
No matter how sure I am here I won't take the 10:1 bet, on principle. I'll give you 5:1 though.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 10:36 PM   #27
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm still not convinced the US is getting it on E92 on first builds MY09.
Just has to happen for MY2009. No guarantee it will be there SOP.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 10:50 PM   #28
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
And 5:1 isn't worth the risk/reward to me. I'll take 8:1 and you've got a deal.
Can't do 8:1, especially for September production. I am no more than 10% sure it will be there by September, and no more than 20% sure that it will be there in any specific time-frame during MY2009.

Quote:
BTW, do you realize how much procrastination of real work I'm doing...just to haggle about this stupid bet? LOL.
Heh, me too. It's already cost me the $100, lol. But then who needs sleep?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 11:00 PM   #29
hkwallace328
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, X5 4.8I

fount this over at e90 post
Quote:
BMW Canada Inc.
2009 Product Planning Bulletin
Subject: MY2009 BMW 3 Series Coupé and Cabriolet and BMW M3

BMW Canada Inc. is pleased to provide complete product ordering information for the 2009 BMW 3 Series Coupé and
Cabriolet and the BMW M3 Sedan, Coupé and Cabriolet:

OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT
The following are some of the highlights and key changes in options and packages. Changes are intended to optimize
customer value, and facilitate simplified ordering and Retailer stock:
NEW OPTIONS
Navigation Package – Package ZPL
• New hard drive based iDrive and navigation system with 8.8” high resolution display
• Functionality as described for MY2009 3 Series (PB 2009MY 3 Series-02)
Heated Steering Wheel – Option 248
• Available on regular 3 Series Coupé and Cabriolet models (not for M3)
• Available as a stand alone option
• Included in Premium Package for 328i Coupé’s
• Included in Executive Package for 335i Coupé’s and 328i Cabriolet
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 11:02 PM   #30
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Same reasoning here. I'm not more that 20% sure it won't be here in September. The first $100 was just a sporting bet. The second bet -- if I took one -- would be a pure prop bet -- hence I would want odds.
Ok well, I guess we'll just have to forgo a bet then. I'm 100% sure that the press photos show the interior of the Le Mans E92 M3. However, I have no idea exactly when BMW will intro the system. It could be September, December, March, even May. All I know is that it will happen during MY2009 production (i.e during the production run of E92 M3s whose VINs are for MY2009, in the US).
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 11:03 PM   #31
ILLCOMM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT2

Good stuff hkwallace328!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 11:39 PM   #32
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

Quote:
BTW, we're just talking about the US models. We've already seen 09 models rolled out in the UAE, and at least one other country (I think Mexico already has the 09's too). It is confirmed by those 09 owners that their cars did NOT have the updated iDrive.
Understood.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 11:45 PM   #33
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I wouldn't bet $1000 because I'm not sure. I'm betting $100 as a pure sporting bet based on pure intuition, logic, and the fact that nobody has been able to cough up a single article or correspondance from BMW that links new iDrive and E92 M3 together.

But I would take 10:1 odds from anybody who is as sure as yourself. And if you're so sure, you shouldn't have a problem giving me 10:1 odds.
Exactly. This is like a small friendly wager on sports - just enough to make the game more interesting.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 11:57 PM   #34
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

this has already been discussed ad naseum, but why would the e92 m3 not get the new i-drive right from the get go? if it says, starting in MY2009, it would be seriously misleading for it to come in january. why BMW cannot manage to post an ordering guide less than 30 days from production of 2009 models is beyond me. what an awesome car from a terrible company.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 11:59 PM   #35
Captain Scott
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post
Exactly. This is like a small friendly wager on sports - just enough to make the game more interesting.

Wait a tic, I just thought of something.

I posted a joke in the stupid question thread about all the magazines I read said when these M3's came out they were considered 09's, but are 08's until Sept when they become 09's for real. Now I am confused again

help
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 12:04 AM   #36
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Scott View Post
Wait a tic, I just thought of something.

I posted a joke in the stupid question thread about all the magazines I read said when these M3's came out they were considered 09's, but are 08's until Sept when they become 09's for real. Now I am confused again

help
most of us consider 09s the vehicles that roll off the assembly line after the august/september shutdown. however, certain companies have different VIN regulations and, from what we know, the M3s that have gone to at least Mexico and UAE have been 09s according to the VIN number. still, that is not truly an 09 spec'd vehicle. does that make sense?

back to the OP (because I forgot to mention this), your original post was a very weak piece of evidence. what some CA said means nothing. needs to be in picture or writing.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 07:01 AM   #37
jump23
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 DCT M3

E92 M3 WILL have new I-drive starting this fall

It has been officially confirmed by BMW-Germany and BMW-UK.

However, this is not a confirmation that US-spec car will have it. We still need official confirmation from BMW-NA. But, as has been said before, BMW-NA would have to have a real good reason to deprive it's largerst market of these updates. It may not be fully functional as far as internet access but I have to believe that the new controller, menu system, new screen etc. will be in the US-spec E92 M3.

Here's a short snippet from the BMW-UK official press release.

BMW M models for 2009: Maximum performance in every discipline
07/30/2008

The high-performance BMW M GmbH sports cars enter the year 2009 both ideally equipped and in top shape. With specific body modifications to the BMW M3 Saloon, the introduction of the new iDrive generation for all versions of the BMW M3, the BMW M5 and the BMW M6.

More supremacy through intuitive operation:
The new iDrive generation enhances driving pleasure.
From the autumn of 2008, BMW M models will also feature the new generation of the iDrive control system which will facilitate even easier activation and control of the most important entertainment, communication and navigation features as well as a number of other functions. The models BMW M5 and BMW M5 Touring, the BMW M6 Coupe and the BMW M6 Convertible are all equipped with the new iDrive control system as standard. It also comes with the BMW M3 in conjunction with an optionally available navigation system. It encompasses a newly devised controller which includes preference keys on the centre console and - in conjunction with the optional navigation system Professional - an 8.8-inch control display with a four times higher screen resolution (1280 x 480 pixel) for displaying high resolution graphics and a new menu structure.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 07:23 AM   #38
Captain Scott
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
most of us consider 09s the vehicles that roll off the assembly line after the august/september shutdown. however, certain companies have different VIN regulations and, from what we know, the M3s that have gone to at least Mexico and UAE have been 09s according to the VIN number. still, that is not truly an 09 spec'd vehicle. does that make sense?

back to the OP (because I forgot to mention this), your original post was a very weak piece of evidence. what some CA said means nothing. needs to be in picture or writing.
Thank you for your response.
I am new to the forum, can someone tell me what OP and CA stands for in internet lingo?

Scott
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 07:41 AM   #39
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Scott View Post
Thank you for your response.
I am new to the forum, can someone tell me what OP and CA stands for in internet lingo?

Scott
OP stands for original post or can be used to refer to the person who started the thread (original poster)

CA stands for client advisor (BMW's term for dealership sales rep)
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 08:46 AM   #40
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
and PC for Performance Center
PCD for Performance Center Delivery
SA is for Service Advisor
DE for Driving Event
HPDE for High Performance Driving Event

just to add to Big Winds list, there are more

back to you OPs original post!

and my comment is "Why does BMW alway do this?"
.. its alway the case that the first owners of a new series are alway short changed ex.
e90 325i then a yr later its 328i
same goes for 330i to 335i
the 01 M3 to LEDs lights for later M3s
seems like it always pays to wait a year, expecially now that I alway get reminded that
e46 M3 buyer alway look for the 02+ models since the 01 had a major issue.

seem like when it comes to our e92 M3 resale, 08s will be know as bastard kids and folks woudl say, get the 09 bcoz thats the start of the new idrives

but heck, hopefully it will be offset my the limited nos. of M3 that will become available making the 09 surely a little beyond reach for everyone unlike the 08s are were discounted.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 09:02 AM   #41
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post

I agree to some extent. However, there's a big difference between a random person posting hearsay allegedly from his CA, and a CA who is a forum sponsor directly confirming it himself.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 10:51 AM   #42
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Well south wrote that before he even had the E92 pics. Also, I don't think he realized that the interior shots had a corresponding exterior shots in the same photoset.
You think so?

Quote:
I analyzed more spots of the same "sliver" -- and on second analysis, I think it could go either way -- silver/gray or blue. There were many spots in that sliver that had RGB values very close to that blue exterior shots.
Here are the full pics. No detective work needed.

Name:  fullpicM392.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  95.3 KB

Name:  fullpicM390.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  92.2 KB

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 10:59 AM   #43
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
You think so?
Sorry south, just going from memory. I thought you added the reference to the E92 later when you added the second pic post with the E92 exterior shots.

Quote:
Here are the full pics. No detective work needed.
Aha, you were holding out on us.

So, since that is 100% now, do you know whether or not the new iDrive will be on all new 3 series/M3 from late September SOP? Or will it be phased in on some cars (such as the E92/E93) a bit later in the model year?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 11:05 AM   #44
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

I think PencilGeek is going to lose this bet.
Appreciate 0