BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-02-2015, 06:27 PM   #1
gan1hck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3

Proxes RR

Found a review on the RR's in the forum, but would like more info from anyone who has experience with them...

How do they compare with BFG-R1's or Hoosier R6's/R7's.

I've driven on NT01's and BFG-R1's...and felt that the R-1's had significantly more grip then the NT01's...which I thought performed similarly to PSS's except with much better heat tolerance.

I'm wondering how the Proxes RR's would compare to the R1's or Hoosier's.

Any feedback would be appreciated as I prepare for warmer weather and a return to the track!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 02:57 PM   #2
lutfy
Captain
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, NASA ST5 86, Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by gan1hck View Post
Found a review on the RR's in the forum, but would like more info from anyone who has experience with them...

How do they compare with BFG-R1's or Hoosier R6's/R7's.

I've driven on NT01's and BFG-R1's...and felt that the R-1's had significantly more grip then the NT01's...which I thought performed similarly to PSS's except with much better heat tolerance.

I'm wondering how the Proxes RR's would compare to the R1's or Hoosier's.

Any feedback would be appreciated as I prepare for warmer weather and a return to the track!!!
The RR fills in a strange gap between R comps. Dont expect Hoosier level grip; however the RR do NOT heat cycle out quickly. I burnt through a set doing DD and TT after 7 track days and my lap times were slightly quicker than the RA1s in same size. They still howl like NT01 and RA1, do they feel faster? kind of, I noticed it mostly at slower corners and more stability at power down (running 275 square). But laptimes did show a full second improvement on a low 1:20 track compared to the RA1.

Try it, at least you know they will cord before they heat cycle out.

Hot temp is 34-35 on these tires BTW vs 36-37 on RA1 FYI. No experience with R1 BFG.

Lutfy
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 03:27 PM   #3
gan1hck
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutfy View Post
The RR fills in a strange gap between R comps. Dont expect Hoosier level grip; however the RR do NOT heat cycle out quickly. I burnt through a set doing DD and TT after 7 track days and my lap times were slightly quicker than the RA1s in same size. They still howl like NT01 and RA1, do they feel faster? kind of, I noticed it mostly at slower corners and more stability at power down (running 275 square). But laptimes did show a full second improvement on a low 1:20 track compared to the RA1.

Try it, at least you know they will cord before they heat cycle out.

Hot temp is 34-35 on these tires BTW vs 36-37 on RA1 FYI. No experience with R1 BFG.

Lutfy

Thanks for the feedback.

Sounds like a compromise between NT01's and Hoosier's?

I guess I'll give them a try.

I'm torn between running BFG-R1's/Hoosiers so that I can keep up with my friends who are running them, or saving money and hassle, and just having fun.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 01:30 PM   #4
lutfy
Captain
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, NASA ST5 86, Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by gan1hck View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

Sounds like a compromise between NT01's and Hoosier's?

I guess I'll give them a try.

I'm torn between running BFG-R1's/Hoosiers so that I can keep up with my friends who are running them, or saving money and hassle, and just having fun.
I woudnt rely on tires solely. If truth to be told, in DE setting it would be marginal (traffic, passing, point bys etc.). I have NEVER had any issue keeping up with Hoosier/R1 equipped cars. They may be faster on some sections only to be slowed down by other cars. If you are driving your car well, its not folks will have one up on you. Plus Hoosiers and R1s heat cycle out so in DE outings, changes are tires are fairly equalized. I find E9X cars to be plenty fast on most DE outings (even in instructor's group or NASA HPDE4).

You'll be plenty pleased with the RR but like I said again, will be be NOTICEABLE like running street tires to RA1 upgrade? No, marginal yes. Get it, run it, enjoy it If you can afford it (wears faster too) then get another set otherwise swap back to tried and tested Nitto or RA1s.

Since I only do DE, I run Nittos/RA1s/TD category.

Lutfy
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 01:45 PM   #5
gan1hck
First Lieutenant
Rep

I'm going to get a set and see.

I run with a buddy who drives a supercharged Lotus running Hoosiers R6's....and I could never catch him on PSS's , R888's, or NT-01;s....

I'm pretty sure that I'm as good a driver as he is...and it always bugged me.

At my last DE, I left him behind running the BFG-R1's....was really excited...and I guess I don't want to give up the advantage.

I guess I need to grow up and just have fun with my ride.
Appreciate 0