BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 Marketplace > Private Sellers - For Sale / Trade / Wanted > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Parts

EXXEL Distributions

10-17-2012, 03:08 PM   #1
ShockinM3
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

WTB- ESS tune

BIMMERPOST / Classifieds
Asking Price:
None

Item Interest
I'm looking to buy a ESS tune for my 08 M3. If you have one let me know. Thanks

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
MikeE92M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

I just bought one off a seller here for $210 shipped, Unlocked too...

They're out there! Can't wait to get my TMS test pipes and put the tune(s) on.

Good luck!
2008 (07/08) E92 M3 BPM Stage II Tuned by Mike Benvo, 6MT, Turner Test Pipes, Magnaflow Custom Catback Exhaust (Magnaflow X Pipe, secondary cat delete, Aero Resonators and Helmholtz Chambers),Vorsteiner CF Lip, Hamann Style CF rear diffuser, CF Rear Decklid Spoiler, BMW Performance Kidney Grills, CF Side Grills, OEM GTS Wheels, K&N Drop-In Filter, GP Thunder 8k Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 03:17 PM   #3
ShockinM3
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

I saw that exact same tune for sale ! I guess you beat me to it lol
Thanks, hope to find one soon since I am also getting the TMS test pipes
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 07:32 PM   #4
CarbonFoot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 CS

Eh? Someone will need to explain this to me. People are selling ESS tune's with the ECU lock removed? What else has been changed and is that even an ESS tune at that point?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 08:06 PM   #5
MikeE92M3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonFoot View Post
Eh? Someone will need to explain this to me. People are selling ESS tune's with the ECU lock removed? What else has been changed and is that even an ESS tune at that point?
They can be unlocked if they are hard reset. All you have to do is upload the information from the ECU onto the handheld, import it into the laptop, email it to ESS and they will create the tune (at a cost of course) and then once I receive the tune file, upload it onto the reader and flash my ECU.
2008 (07/08) E92 M3 BPM Stage II Tuned by Mike Benvo, 6MT, Turner Test Pipes, Magnaflow Custom Catback Exhaust (Magnaflow X Pipe, secondary cat delete, Aero Resonators and Helmholtz Chambers),Vorsteiner CF Lip, Hamann Style CF rear diffuser, CF Rear Decklid Spoiler, BMW Performance Kidney Grills, CF Side Grills, OEM GTS Wheels, K&N Drop-In Filter, GP Thunder 8k Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 11:29 AM   #6
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
We have a sale with free overnight shipping going on in the sponsor's section on all ESS tunes.

In stock, ready to ship.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 11:46 AM   #7
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
i always thought it was just better to buy it brand new but i never knew they could be unlocked. at $210 that's a steal
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 12:44 PM   #8
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeE92M3 View Post
I just bought one off a seller here for $210 shipped, Unlocked too...

They're out there! Can't wait to get my TMS test pipes and put the tune(s) on.

Good luck!
$210?! Holy steal of a deal there Batman.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 12:46 PM   #9
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe

Quote:
They can be unlocked if they are hard reset. All you have to do is upload the information from the ECU onto the handheld, import it into the laptop, email it to ESS and they will create the tune (at a cost of course) and then once I receive the tune file, upload it onto the reader and flash my ECU.
How much does ESS then charge for the tune?

So basically you bought a flash loader, correct?

Since this is the case though, what's stopping you from loading your tune, then resetting and sending to someone who will also use it assuming the tune from ESS is less since you already have the flash loader.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 01:00 PM   #10
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

All of our remote tuning devices are locked to the vehicle VIN. The older Directflash units did have a rest function for the original owner but that does not allow the unit to be used on a different vehicle as it remains VIN locked. The only way the Directflash would work on another vehicle is if it was sent in to us and replaced which is very rare. The Directflash is no longer sold by us, it has been replaced by the newer E-Flash.

It is always best to check with us before buying used ESS remote tuning devices. Unless the device was never plugged into the car it is most likely no good to a 3rd party.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 01:02 PM   #11
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman@ESS View Post
All of our remote tuning devices are locked to the vehicle VIN. The older Directflash units did have a rest function for the original owner but that does not allow the unit to be used on a different vehicle as it remains VIN locked. The only way the Directflash would work on another vehicle is if it was sent in to us and replaced which is very rare. The Directflash is no longer sold by us, it has been replaced by the newer E-Flash.

It is always best to check with us before buying used ESS remote tuning devices. Unless the device was never plugged into the car it is most likely no good to a 3rd party.
So this guy got duped?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 01:04 PM   #12
MikeE92M3
Captain
Rep

hmm
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 01:10 PM   #13
MikeE92M3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Fanatic View Post
So this guy got duped?
I have been PMing ESS back and forth, and they told me they can re license it (does not cost that much), and send it back to me. If this can be done, I will do that once I confirm when I receive the unit.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 01:12 PM   #14
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I have been PMing ESS back and forth, and they told me they can re license it (does not cost that much), and send it back to me. If this can be done, I will do that once I confirm when I receive the unit.
If our test pipes were already here I'm sure you wouldn't have the patience to go through with this. What's the link to thread you bought from? I'd say that guy deserves some negative feedback.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 01:15 PM   #15
MikeE92M3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
If our test pipes were already here I'm sure you wouldn't have the patience to go through with this. What's the link to thread you bought from? I'd say that guy deserves some negative feedback.
You're absolutely right, because I would be doing it all at once and if this was the deal at the moment, I would be frustrated. The thread he had it one was this: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=758798

But I think he edited everything after he sold his lot.

I just emailed him.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 01:25 PM   #16
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
You're absolutely right, because I would be doing it all at once and if this was the deal at the moment, I would be frustrated. The thread he had it one was this: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=758798

But I think he edited everything after he sold his lot.

I just emailed him.
Well since the first post was edited it is hard to determine whether or not he duped you knowingly or falsely. Either way do you know what; 1) you got a steal on the unit. 2) Roman will take care of you. 3) like you said, it won't cost that much and the test pipes aren't here yet. 4) you probably still saved over $500 I'm guessing so whatever. Congrats on the purchase again, don't want to get you down!

OP, sorry to thread jack! You can thank us for the bumps later..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 01:27 PM   #17
MikeE92M3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Well since the first post was edited it is hard to determine whether or not he duped you knowingly or falsely. Either way do you know what; 1) you got a steal on the unit. 2) Roman will take care of you. 3) like you said, it won't cost that much and the test pipes aren't here yet. 4) you probably still saved over $500 I'm guessing so whatever. Congrats on the purchase again, don't want to get you down!

OP, sorry to thread jack! You can thank us for the bumps later..
This is what part of our PM conversation entailed:

Originally Posted by MikeE92M3
I will offer you $XXX if you can confirm that ESS can get back to you with an answer to see how much a tune would cost. Just want to make sure if I purchase it for $XXX from you I don't have to shell out another $800+.

Please let me know as soon as possible. Will be ready to pay today.

Mike

(This is what he said, exact words)
No, not vin locked. I followed the directions given by ESS in the complete package that I have and cleared the unit. I also got an email back from AJ at ESS, and he just to send him your downloaded stock tune. Again, no answer on price... Sorry.....
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 01:32 PM   #18
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

The Directflash is useless to a 3rd party if it was ever plugged into a car. By the time you pay to replace it and buy software for it you will spend the same as buying a new E-flash .
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 01:41 PM   #19
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
This is what part of our PM conversation entailed:

Originally Posted by MikeE92M3
I will offer you $XXX if you can confirm that ESS can get back to you with an answer to see how much a tune would cost. Just want to make sure if I purchase it for $XXX from you I don't have to shell out another $800+.

Please let me know as soon as possible. Will be ready to pay today.

Mike

(This is what he said, exact words)
No, not vin locked. I followed the directions given by ESS in the complete package that I have and cleared the unit. I also got an email back from AJ at ESS, and he just to send him your downloaded stock tune. Again, no answer on price... Sorry.....
WOW. So he knew exactly what he was doing. If this is going to end up costing you nearly the same price as new I'd immediately call PayPal or your CC company and have them refund your money ($210 or whatever it is) so he doesn't get paid then just call EAS as they have a special going on right now with a free dyno or if you're out of state then free overnight shipping.

Might sound like work but trust me he'll be crying over the $200 he didn't get. Also, don't forget to leave him negative feedback.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 01:52 PM   #20
MikeE92M3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
WOW. So he knew exactly what he was doing. If this is going to end up costing you nearly the same price as new I'd immediately call PayPal or your CC company and have them refund your money ($210 or whatever it is) so he doesn't get paid then just call EAS as they have a special going on right now with a free dyno or if you're out of state then free overnight shipping.

Might sound like work but trust me he'll be crying over the $200 he didn't get. Also, don't forget to leave him negative feedback.
Already getting everything initiated. I usually send payments as a gift but I have done it with a transaction while back and still got a refund. Either way, I can always go to my bank and tell them to refund me the money.

I will figure it out. But ESS, just to confirm, you CANNOT relicense the unit, even though I would then have the USB device with the software on it?

Mike
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 02:00 PM   #21
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Already getting everything initiated. I usually send payments as a gift but I have done it with a transaction while back and still got a refund. Either way, I can always go to my bank and tell them to refund me the money.

I will figure it out. But ESS, just to confirm, you CANNOT relicense the unit, even though I would then have the USB device with the software on it?

Mike

GL bro!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 02:43 PM   #22
MikeE92M3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
GL bro!
Went to my bank to open a claim. The banker was very empathetic with me and I printed out our emails/PMS to show where he said it was an unlocked device. I made it clear to the banker that this was not the case, and I have emails and messaged from the vendor who refutes this claim against the seller. I should (hopefully) have the credit back into my account within 5 days.

When I get the unit, I am just shipping it back to where it came from.
Appreciate 0