BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing

Mporium BMW

04-20-2010, 11:51 AM   #1
jayson
Life's too short for chess
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 991.2 T / E36 M3

Exclamation iPad is very neat!

Posting this from the apple store. Anybody own one of these things? 3G version could be used in the car for trapster /etc. I also assume it can be integrated via the iPod interface? Thinking that I will have to pick one of these up in the future.

In before "search" and /or "cool story bro"

Last edited by jayson; 04-20-2010 at 01:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 12:47 PM   #2
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Your ipod USB interface is in your armrest. The Ipad won't fit in there, so to effectively use it in your car, you'd have to have the arm rest open. Not exactly an Ideal situation.

It is a bit big for car use, imo. While cool, as far as actual functionality I think it's beat by pretty much any other portable media device. A device that big, without multi-task (while on the way I understand) kind of seems limited. It's best use is as a novelty item for showing friends websites, or as a glorified ebook reader.
      04-20-2010, 01:46 PM   #3
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
Your ipod USB interface is in your armrest. The Ipad won't fit in there, so to effectively use it in your car, you'd have to have the arm rest open. Not exactly an Ideal situation.

It is a bit big for car use, imo. While cool, as far as actual functionality I think it's beat by pretty much any other portable media device. A device that big, without multi-task (while on the way I understand) kind of seems limited. It's best use is as a novelty item for showing friends websites, or as a glorified ebook reader.
How does size and multitasking relate, especially since iPhone/iPad apps all run full screen and launch practically instantly?

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 03:46 PM   #4
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

iPad is worthless.

Netbook = cheaper, faster, better.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 10:02 PM   #5
335iheLLraiseR
اوليسيس
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Garage List
2007 e92 335  [10.00]
i have one and love it. as for the post on a netbook being better i really have no idea at what. my girlfriend just spent an hour and half on the thing playing facebook games vis RDP. its just different, and much like all human beings, we fear what we dont know. multitasking i really havent had a need for it. its not an iphone where i need to have pandora running in the background.

Fuck with one for a few hours then come back and critique.
Anyone who can transition seamlessly from defending one vendor and bashing another vendor to bashing the one he formally defended and defending the one he formally bashed has a instant credibility problem.
<---Sign up Now for Bonus Storage! Up to 10gb!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 10:48 PM   #6
Ghost151
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 64i GC

I didn't plan on getting one but that changed when I got my hands on one and had a chance to mess with it. I was genuinely impressed with it. It won't replace a laptop but it fills the gap nicely between trying to do stuff on the smart phone which is a pain after a while and not wanting to break out the laptop to do stuff. it is very convenient.
      04-21-2010, 03:17 AM   #7
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iheLLraiseR View Post
i have one and love it. as for the post on a netbook being better i really have no idea at what. my girlfriend just spent an hour and half on the thing playing facebook games vis RDP. its just different, and much like all human beings, we fear what we dont know. multitasking i really havent had a need for it. its not an iphone where i need to have pandora running in the background.

Fuck with one for a few hours then come back and critique.
Netbook vs iPad
http://www.eatliver.com/i.php?n=5302
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 07:41 AM   #8
jayson
Life's too short for chess
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 991.2 T / E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost151 View Post
I didn't plan on getting one but that changed when I got my hands on one and had a chance to mess with it. I was genuinely impressed with it. It won't replace a laptop but it fills the gap nicely between trying to do stuff on the smart phone which is a pain after a while and not wanting to break out the laptop to do stuff. it is very convenient.
Agreed! iPad is not meant to replace a laptop.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 10:01 AM   #9
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

A 'good' advertisement will tell you 2 things.

Step 1, the advert will tell you that you have a problem. Most of the time, step one is typically a problem that you didn't even know that you had. But the advertisement, again when 'good', will make you believe that it is indeed a serious problem that needs to be resolved.

Step 2 is telling you that their product is the solution for that problem. You know, the problem that moments ago you didn't even know was an issue.

And that is the basics for all advertising. Where this fits into the Ipad discussion is that I'm certain I don't have a problem with needing a device in-between a cell phone and a computer. Don't get me wrong, the novelty of the Ipad is immense. Its very cool to 'fuck around with'. But once you get it home, while no less cool, it will just sit there and might be picked up to only get that cool feeling again. But never really used.

I'm sure many will disagree with me. Most will probably be early adopters of this new genre of tech. And thats fine, but the item really isn't useful. You can't put on music and work on it. You can't really do much but surf the web, and play facebook games, which is what I consider to be novelty software.
      04-21-2010, 10:11 AM   #10
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
How does size and multitasking relate, especially since iPhone/iPad apps all run full screen and launch practically instantly?
How often do you have multiple programs running on a computer screen at once? And how many on a phone?

I would say the correlation between size and running applications is directly proportionate.

If you were to compose an e-mail on the Ipad and decide you needed to look up a webpage to pull a particular fact or figure, you'd have to close the e-mail down, do the search, then re-open the e-mail. However, the bigger screen would be capable of showing both at once. An ipod is acceptable as a single task item because the screen size isn't really big enough to run 2 applications at once on it. The text or content would be too small to read.