BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

08-11-2009, 10:24 AM   #1
Surfclown
Is this thing on?
Italy
Rep
Drives: the point home!

Would you let the dealer demo for six to save 6?

The regional SA told me that I can build the car how I want and let it be their demo car for a six percent discount off total price. He also said they would pay for the 1200 mile service charge if it reaches that mile mark (service not included until I get back to the states in 2 years). For the e93 I'm looking at 70K turn into 66K.

I'm worried that they won't be strict enough with the break-in requirements since they are trying to sell cars.

Unfortunately he also told me I have to get to Germany for a test drive

What would you do?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 10:32 AM   #2
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Don't trust anyone. You won't be there to see what happens during the demo drives with the customers.

For example, when I was shopping for an M3, I test drove a few times.....And I pushed it to redline almost once during each test drive. The salesperson got upset, but I still revved it and unfortunately you can't go back in time and reverse the fact that it happened. I know I didn't do the right thing, but the point I'm trying to make is that the 6% discount is not worth it since test drivers will probably still redline it every now and then.

One question: Can't you negotiate the 6% discount off of the MSRP anyways?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 10:43 AM   #3
eeeboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08M3 Space Gray DCT

are you crazy? to save 4K? F that! If you shop around, you could probably find a dealer to knock off the 4k for no reason at all
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 10:57 AM   #4
sg///M3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 DCT

If you're seriously considering this, at least have them throw in an extended warranty!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 11:18 AM   #5
Give Me M3
Rep
Drives: 95 Rx7 02 Nsx 99 Gsx

This may be my first post but even I can give you advice on this. No way! That's how they sell the car is with the test drive. The 1st time the potential buyer feels the M's power etc. is what makes the deal. People are not gonna treat that car like it is there own. You can use this and go to another dealer and negotiate. I couldn't stand knowing other people drove my car and not knowing how they treated it. But I really care for the things I buy. If it don't matter to you as much and your looking for an amazing deal then see how low you can get them and what else they will throw in. The 1st offer is never a good deal.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 11:24 AM   #6
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

every performance car i ever test drove, i drove conservatively, but once the salesman got a chance they beat the shit out of the car-maybe i am young and they are trying to impress me. but i mean the dct i drove was being revved cold, cayman s was flying, isf was doing 200+.....only car nobody really pushed was the c63 with me. I made a point not to buy that dct that i test drove.

if you really wanna do it, make sure you get a better discount and tell him you want the car hooked-up to the comp before you pay and pick it up, you can check the rev report and all that- make a condition that if the revs cross 5500, you are out, or smthg.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 11:58 AM   #7
osteome
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Given his location in Naples, this is most likely a military sale. They typically do not knock anything off the price as that is fixed. I fought to just get the Ipod cable thrown in (not included over here)

You will get a better deal on a demo, but I would not risk it....

I ordered a 2009, picking it up with less than 3 miles on it. The two demos that I had the opportunity to drive (a 2008 335 E93 and a2008 M3 E93), were provided to me to take out alone. The limits were tested with both, although both had over 2000 miles on them.

They were both sold eventually (the 335 at a smoking deal, with 9K on the clock), but given the way that I briefly drove them, I would have passed. I can only imagine what the other test drivers did to them, let alone the sales people.

Not sure it is still around, but Pentagon in K-town had a left over 2008 loaded E93 a few months ago and they have one demo 09 M3 E93 and one new one if you would like to price compare.
Gone: M3 E93 Silverstone II over Bamboo
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 12:14 PM   #8
Georgeair
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 Melbourne E92 M3

Hell. No.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 12:26 PM   #9
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

No way on the demo.

First 335 I was in the sales guy hit WOT right out of the dealer parking lot and at the next two lights. Redlined it cold multiple times before we pulled over and I took the wheel. I was apalled. Same thing happened with my M3 demo.

I made it a point not to buy a demo nor would I with any performance car based on those experiences. We can quibble over hard or soft break-in but beating on the car cold? That's a very bad idea new or broken in.

Sales people are out to make the sale--and part of the sale is the power of the car and they want to impress that on you right off the bat. And it appears they do that by not observing even the most basic rules such as letting the car reach operating temp before beating the crap out of it.

Last edited by Finnegan; 08-11-2009 at 02:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 01:28 PM   #10
Surfclown
Is this thing on?
Italy
Rep

Resounding, NO then. I'm surprised there wasn't even a little debate, but I guess it was a dumb question. I have a tendency to go against my better judgment to save a few bucks, so I REALLY appreciate you guys talking me out of this one - especially the test drive stories. Osteome is right, it is a military sales, very decent price for a new one (invoice) but very little selection of previous year models to choose from on the M3.

It's like a girlfriend, only this time I won't have to worry about who was driving her before me.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 01:57 PM   #11
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 353k+ miles

No way...
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 03:50 PM   #12
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfclown View Post
The regional SA told me that I can build the car how I want and let it be their demo car for a six percent discount off total price. He also said they would pay for the 1200 mile service charge if it reaches that mile mark (service not included until I get back to the states in 2 years). For the e93 I'm looking at 70K turn into 66K.

I'm worried that they won't be strict enough with the break-in requirements since they are trying to sell cars.

Unfortunately he also told me I have to get to Germany for a test drive

What would you do?
I purchased a car from the Military car sales at Agnano before it relocated ( I assume near Gricignano). Don't trust them on this....besides, they cannot control those who test drive the car. I assume a lot of young military guys will probably want a test drive so there is a higher risk of damage or over-reving during the break-in period.

Besides, unless Naples has changed drastically since I was there....there is no way that beautiful ///M3 will not get scratched up...LOL

-SZ
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 06:06 PM   #13
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

HELL NO. especially if you are military sales. which it sounds like you are. if that is the case, you should be able to walk out of there FULLY loaded for 62k. period.
      08-11-2009, 07:05 PM   #14
BMW3R
Bimmer User
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 Mazda3  [0.00]
Quote:
He also said they would pay for the 1200 mile service charge if it reaches that mile mark (service not included until I get back to the states in 2 years).
What do you mean by this? All of the service is covered by BMW up to 60,000 miles.

Personally, I wouldn't care if my car were beat to pieces since I never keep them more than two years. But, if it is a long term investment... no way would I go for that deal.

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 11:16 AM   #15
Surfclown
Is this thing on?
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-ZERO View Post
I purchased a car from the Military car sales at Agnano before it relocated ( I assume near Gricignano). Don't trust them on this....besides, they cannot control those who test drive the car. I assume a lot of young military guys will probably want a test drive so there is a higher risk of damage or over-reving during the break-in period.

Besides, unless Naples has changed drastically since I was there....there is no way that beautiful ///M3 will not get scratched up...LOL

-SZ
It'll probably get a little scratched up while I drive it. But I can't resist because just outside Naples has to be one of the most fun places to drive in the world!

It's now just relocated five hours away in Vicenza, though base is still in Gricignano. Did you have and drive yours here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
HELL NO. especially if you are military sales. which it sounds like you are. if that is the case, you should be able to walk out of there FULLY loaded for 62k. period.
I'm looking at the e93 so mostly loaded for 68 or 69K. Not fully decided yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW3R View Post
What do you mean by this? All of the service is covered by BMW up to 60,000 miles.

Personally, I wouldn't care if my car were beat to pieces since I never keep them more than two years. But, if it is a long term investment... no way would I go for that deal.
SA is telling me that because it's American Spec and sales, the service doesn't take effect until I get back to the states = 450 euro for the 1200.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 11:22 AM   #16
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

Quote:
It'll probably get a little scratched up while I drive it. But I can't resist because just outside Naples has to be one of the most fun places to drive in the world!

It's now just relocated five hours away in Vicenza, though base is still in Gricignano. Did you have and drive yours here?

No, I was in Naples from 1997 to 2001; I was poor and still in the military..couldn't afford an M3...LOL

I did buy my first, second and third Ducati there at Ducati Napoli...I had a 750SS then traded up to a 748 and then a 996. I had a lot of fun riding to Gaeta in the summers.

....I worked at NCTAMS in Capodichino

-SZ
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 11:39 AM   #17
haze gray
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 Coupe / 2011 X5

Not worth it. Test drives in Naples?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 02:02 PM   #18
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d

I test drove a demo last week with only 325 miles on it. I took it out myself. Trust me...you don't want the demo.

I just through $ down on a 2010 with a 39th week build date. Traded in the 2008 335i.

I'll miss the blacklines & insurance went up by $650 a year, but it's worth it.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 04:56 PM   #19
BMW3R
Bimmer User
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 Mazda3  [0.00]
Quote:
SA is telling me that because it's American Spec and sales, the service doesn't take effect until I get back to the states = 450 euro for the 1200.
So does that mean that the warranty starts from the time the car arrives in the US or will it start ticking day one?

I would only caution you that if you plan to keep the car after 60,000 miles, it can be an expensive vehicle if anything were to go wrong. I was just picking my car up at the dealer and the guy in front of me was paying $1800 for service on an out of warranty 328xi.

Also, my car has been in the shop at least 8 times since my purchase one year ago with various fault codes, idle hose issues and so forth. If it continues this trend after 60,000 it could become very costly.

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 04:01 AM   #20
Surfclown
Is this thing on?
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by haze gray View Post
Not worth it. Test drives in Naples?
SA says "maybe" he could set something up, but not too many dealers around here have M3s on their lot. Generally a substantial language barrier as well. I went in to test drive one at East Bay BMW when I was there last October, and the manager was pretty condescending, "preserve miles, serious buyers" etc. Since I knew I wasn't going to buy from him - I didn't want to front like I was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie View Post
I test drove a demo last week with only 325 miles on it. I took it out myself. Trust me...you don't want the demo.

I just through $ down on a 2010 with a 39th week build date. Traded in the 2008 335i.

I'll miss the blacklines & insurance went up by $650 a year, but it's worth it.
Congrats! I should be pulling the trigger in the next few months - I'm developing an obsession.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW3R View Post
So does that mean that the warranty starts from the time the car arrives in the US or will it start ticking day one?

Also, my car has been in the shop at least 8 times since my purchase one year ago with various fault codes, idle hose issues and so forth. If it continues this trend after 60,000 it could become very costly.
Warranty starts from day one - just no oil changes. Good advice on the costs after warranty, I've heard that before too. I don't foresee holding on to it for more than five years, but I guess that could change after owning it.

8 times in a year! Is that common?
Appreciate 0