BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

11-08-2012, 07:12 PM   #67
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optherion View Post
So my question to you is, what is your next car after the M3? 5-10 years down the road.
I honestly don't know. Here are my requirements:

1. Balanced dynamic performance in all its aspects
2. A feast for the senses... looks, sound, ergonomics, etc
3. Reasonably exclusive
4. Comfortable for medium length drives
5. Some degree of utility

These last two really reflect how I use the car. I need something that is fun but that I can take to our vacation home on the coast which is just over two hours away. There have been times when the trunk of my M3 is full and I think to myself that I am glad I have the space so I can enjoy my fun car on my fun weekend getaway. Again, if this were a Gallardo, it would sit in the garage all weekend while I was away frolicking at the coast, wishing that I had my Gallardo!!! The 2 hour drive to the coast for me is pure driving bliss, and yet if my fun car were an exotic, it would likely have to remain tucked away.

Again, my point is that the real opportunities for driving exotics are so limited that I am questioning the worth of it.

I am thinking of 4 possible cars based on what is out right now to replace the M3 in a couple of years (other than possibly another M3)

1. AM Vantage
2. 991 4S
3. Panamera GTS
4. M6

But again....I still question whether the driving experience is going to be much better. And a car that will give me a significantly better driving experience is much less drivable in real life.
      11-08-2012, 07:25 PM   #68
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post
I agreed with everything you said but this. however, I am not in the fortunate position that you are of being able to afford a 458, so perhaps I would look at the world differently if I were in your shoes.

Ferrari's and the like are definitely a lifestyle choice - it's certainly not about performance. I would care less about the looks/attention you would get while driving it (who cares about the opinion of strangers) than the reputation you would develop among people who know you (though not everyone - some are good enough not to judge). with the forsaken economy that the people who supported Obama have burdened us with, I would feel like a self-indulgent jackass buying a $300k sports car.

in any case, great post.
I know what you mean. I don't even drive my M3 to work. People already see me in my Cayenne GTS. No need to have them see me in an M3 also.

I guess part of it for me is that I didn't come from from money, nor has it come easily to me. It has been hard earned, so although I can afford certain things, I always look for value, to a certain degree anyway
      11-14-2012, 12:57 PM   #69
mattixxg
MKIV
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

I dont think ive ever read such a viewpoint as this when it comes to exotics that one can afford.

Definitely makes you think do you REALLY want what you wish for.

OP presents a ton of great insight and thought than just jumping the gun because you can.

Intelligent and intriguing.

Much respect.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 08:31 PM   #70
car_fan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92involved View Post
I would consider an Aston Martin an exotic, not a supercar, but an exotic.
+ 1 although this particular Aston may arguably considered a supercar or superexotic?

2018 X3 M40i BSM/Oyster/ZPP/ZPX/HK/S6CPA/718M(retired)
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 08:37 PM   #71
e92involved
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_fan View Post
+ 1 although this particular Aston may arguably considered a supercar or superexotic?

There are always exceptions.
      11-14-2012, 11:07 PM   #72
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Arguing that am M3 is more practical than a Ferrari or a McLaren is sort of like arguing that a Citizen Eco Drive keeps better time than a Patek Philippe or a Rene Dubuis. If you make that argument you are probably missing the point.

CA
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 07:44 AM   #73
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
Arguing that am M3 is more practical than a Ferrari or a McLaren is sort of like arguing that a Citizen Eco Drive keeps better time than a Patek Philippe or a Rene Dubuis. If you make that argument you are probably missing the point.

CA
I think the argument is, would you give your baby the evening bath wearing a Patek Philippe? The case may be waterproof, but the alligator band isn't - and you probably don't want bits of baby (sham)poo stuck in the leather seams.

The watch analogy is not adequate IMO. Most daily tasks can be successfully accomplished using any type of watch, but that may not be the case with a low to the ground, loud, 2 seater supercar. If you only drive it 5 times a year, is it better to stay with the M3 as a daily driver and derive X% of the satisfaction?

To me, if you can truly afford and exotic then you probably can afford an M3 also. Problem solved.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 02:07 PM   #74
KKM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 m3 + r8 v10

I bought and sold a gt3 after 2 months, it was a great car just way too uncomfortable to drive frequently. I just replaced it with a 2011 Audi r8 5.2 FSI. An affordable super car that you can drive everyday. What a car!!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 02:37 PM   #75
Port Canaveral M3 driver
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 E92 M3 & 05 BMW R1200GS

Garage List
Two things. First of all I enjoyed everyone's input on this subject. Secondly, I think it is more about the driving experience than the actual car, although looks do not hurt either! I thought I wanted a vet, many years ago and took a test drive in a used vet with an asking price of around 80K The bottom line was I just did not like the feel of the whole experience, although the car "looked cool". It just was not fun. The vet interior was so cheap. The 2013 M3 is very comfortable and fun to zip around in and I mean ZIP! It always feels right. If I really need super car power, all I have to do is bolt on a SUPERCHARGER and adios amigos to just about anything on the road and the price is reasonable plus I still have a car that can corner very well! The M3 is a solid package. Plus, you can get maintenance done in a pinch, unlike so many exotics.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 03:36 AM   #76
nez
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

Blah blah blah. The 458 makes me crack a fat everytime I see one. I couldn't give a shit if it wasn't as good a daily as an m3, I'll swap them over in a heart beat if I could.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 05:23 AM   #77
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post

CA
Forget about practical. That is not my point. Even as a toy, the M3 is far more usable than an exotic would be. It provides 90% of the pleasure with only 10% of the pain. There is just such a huge diminishing value to getting that last 10% of "exoticness".

What's the benefit of a $10k watch if you never actually wear it because you are afraid of every little scratch. On the other hand, you could get a $1k watch (still not cheap, but not over-the-top, much like an M3) and wear it much more often.
      11-17-2012, 05:41 AM   #78
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I think everyone of us is driven for the next best. Whether it be mods, detailing perfection, moving up in our jobs, expensive watches, or owning a dream super car.
I agree. Many of us are driven for "more". I have been my whole life. But what happens when you get to a point where going to the next step also starts getting you disproportionately greater potential hassles, or seriously diminishing returns? Isn't it better to remain in life's "sweet spot"?
      11-17-2012, 09:59 AM   #79
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
I agree. Many of us are driven for "more". I have been my whole life. But what happens when you get to a point where going to the next step also starts getting you disproportionately greater potential hassles, or seriously diminishing returns? Isn't it better to remain in life's "sweet spot"?
I am totally with u on this. I used to fantasize abt exotics, but now that i own these 2 fine M cars, I don't feel such a strong want for exotics anymore. Diminishing return just ain't cool.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 12:49 PM   #80
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

i had the pleasure of driving a 458 Italia for about an hour a few months back. it's a very comfortable, livable car that will put a grin on your face that an M3 never will. it's not any lower than my kW equipped M3, and the 7-year maintenance eliminates the biggest objection to owning a Ferrari.

the only downside is 2 less seats and it's not for people who don't like attention. it may be diminishing returns performance-wise, but the car gives you a feeling that no BMW does
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 02:47 PM   #81
fuzzybam
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB GLE350

Well, to throw a wrench in the cogs of that... The 7 year maintenance with Ferrari is awesome; I agree. However, not every city has a Ferrari dealership and I believe he stated the nearest dealer is ~85 miles away. I'm not up to snuff on the Ferarri service intervals, but I'm guessing they are much smaller than an M3's and a 170mile round trip for service adds up.

That being said, if I honestly could afford a 458 Italia and not have to worry, I would get one in a heartbeat. When reality sets in, I know that the M3 is about as high of ownership as I will achieve and be comfortable. I don't make 250k+ and I don't have the disposable income to support the Ferrari lifestyle.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 03:38 PM   #82
IFX
Banned
Rep
Drives: AW e46M/N54

Quote:

This is a good question, I'm pretty much willing to settle for an average or (sweet spot, comfortable) lifestlye (house, clothes etc.) But not for my vehicle. I feel like this would be the one item that would classify as overly expensive for me. Nothing provides the excitement like an exotic. Some are into expensive houses, clothes, and watches... for some it's cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 11:15 PM   #83
991brothers
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT3 RS

Quote:
True some times and most often they do. Im not sure why so many people get upset that another persons car "sits" lol. Some people drive them, and others buy 10 FORD GT's and never drive them only to list them on ebay 7 years later. The 458 was a trophy to me. But it was also a quick car to flip and own for 6 months. I don't see myself being another Ferrari owner. The attention is not me. Been there done that. I only say that because I have found such love for the ZR1, GT-R and other cars you can beat the living crap out of and give you just as much speed and sense of thrill. While the ferrari was a trophy to me, its also a "look at me status" which many people do like. When I go to the golf club for lunch or dinner, everyone sitting there has cigars and pays attention to "who drives up in the most expensive Rolls Royce" etc. I hate that. I have contemplated getting a turbo diesel Golf that runs off fast food restaurant oil and smells like tortilla chips when I pull up.

The Carrera GT was an absolute marvel I would look over and discover something new on it everyday. The insane amount of carbon work in the front end. The shifter is in the perfect location. You take your hand off the wheel and move it to the right about 4 inches and you instantly feel the shifter. Perfect placement. It makes me wonder why any cars put them down on the floor or so low. Its sound gives you chills, it is the highest perfection of Porsche engineering and represents a huge display of Porsche ability to make a performance machine.

On the other end, my business partner has an F40 and F50 in his garage. Each with less than 2000 miles. He never drives them. They are beautiful cars but they symbolize how far he has come and to him they are trophies of an era 1985-95 when he was incredibly successful. The peak in his career. They were cars he dreamed of. He is the original owner. He could tell me EVERYTHING about the car. His factory tour in italy, how he test drove the f40 and went to a week racing school at Ferrari test track, put on by Ferrari and their formula one drivers of that era. I have been begging to drive one, but we will see after the last $10,000 hose replacement service. My chances look slim.

Every car I have owned has been a progression towards moving up to something even better. Even my job is that way. What can I do better today to get farther ahead. The M3 is probably the ONLY sports car that I could live with everyday. It has the least amount of tendencies that get annoying. Great ride, good amount of power, beautiful sound. Nav works great and phone always works, heated seats. It is a brilliant car and the whole package. However I could care less when I walk out in the garage and see the Ferrari sitting. It was my dream car since I was 10 and I often do just walk outside every morning with a cup of coffee and stare at it. I have driven it on the track, but to me, its the progression of wanting more. Owning one or setting your goal on the next better thing is how all of us on Bimmerpost are the same and share the love of cars. We go from 328 to 335, then to M3's etc. I think everyone of us is driven for the next best. Whether it be mods, detailing perfection, moving up in our jobs, expensive watches, or owning a dream super car.

So my question to you is, what is your next car after the M3? 5-10 years down the road.

I agree with you on those points. Thank you for your stories. It is cool to hear from enthusiast that has experienced super/exotic cars. My M3 was a trophy to me. Owning an $85k car at 20 years old.....i felt that i made it...but....

I got rid of my M3 and i thought i would be going to something more but to be honest I wanna just go back to it since its the everyday sports car.

5 to 10 years? I dont know but in reality i think of having a family so id probably still have something like M car but with four doors. I do really love the Aventador. The cuts and the sound of that Lamborghini give me chills. Have you driven one of those?
2022 BMW M5 Competition - 2016 GT3 RS UltraViolet -2018 GT3 Chalk - 2016 GT3 Lava - 2015 GT3 Guards Red - 2018 Audi RS7 - 2016 F80 M3 - 2015 GT3 Black - 2015 GT3 Carrara White - 2016 991.1 GTS - 2012 997.2 GTS Cabriolet - 2011 E92 M3 - 2006 E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 02:25 AM   #84
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 Touring

Garage List
Quote:
I have contemplated getting a turbo diesel Golf that runs off fast food restaurant oil and smells like tortilla chips when I pull up.
LOL! I like it.
      11-18-2012, 08:19 AM   #85
S65NAPWR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
It's true, we are all looking to the horizon to the next great car we might own (exotic, vintage, etc.). We're enthusiasts, it's who we are.

To answer the question, I do know I will always want to own a car similar in purpose to the M3. It's the right balance for the everyday, go anywhere sports car. I might have a F-car and P-car in the stable one day, but for very different reasons.

Last edited by S65NAPWR; 11-18-2012 at 09:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 08:37 AM   #86
alms211
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Exotics are something I really used to think about alot but the older I get the more hesitant I become that if I ever get in the position to own one...would I pull the trigger? I don't think that I would if I had to decide today. A Ford GT or F430/458 would be tops on my list if I ever did. I really think I would be just as happy with a 993 Turbo as a weekend car. Save for the CGT, Porsches are not exotics IMO.

In the meantime, I just enjoy the hell out of my M3. Every day that I drive it I get a big smile on my face watching the RPMs rise to 8,000+. If the music all stopped today, I would not regret one thing.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 11:02 AM   #87
Aro1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 DCT, F80

Quote:
Forget about practical. That is not my point. Even as a toy, the M3 is far more usable than an exotic would be. It provides 90% of the pleasure with only 10% of the pain. There is just such a huge diminishing value to getting that last 10% of "exoticness".

What's the benefit of a $10k watch if you never actually wear it because you are afraid of every little scratch. On the other hand, you could get a $1k watch (still not cheap, but not over-the-top, much like an M3) and wear it much more often.
Sorry but I don't think an M3 provides 90% the driving experience of an exotic such as a 458. It's not "90-95% of what the exotics are in terms of exclusivity, style, and pure performance." That's fan boy talk at it's best. No way. I have driven one as well as several other exotics and there is no comparison. This is really apples and oranges. Let's face it, if a true car enthusiast can really afford an exotic (especially a brand new one) then they would add one to their stable in addition to other cars such as an M3, SUV, etc. Why? Because they can and because it's something they enjoy...same with any high end watch. Even if it's only driven occasionally, it's worth it. No offense, but in my experience most anesthesiologists and physicians in general cannot "afford" an exotic, esp. a new one, unless they are living beyond their means, retired, or doing something on the side. To really "afford" these cars without having to worry about maintanance or depreciation you probably need to be comfortably pulling in well over a million, excluding any major expenses/debts.

So to answer your question, if you can really afford an exotic then fantasy isn't better than reality.

Last edited by Aro1; 11-18-2012 at 01:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 10:09 AM   #88
Optherion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Prancing Horse

Quote:
Why remain in the same place? In a sense it is nice to be in a sweet spot in life. Cant complain about that! So many times I remember only having enough to get month to month. But I would say No. Why remain where you are?

But this reminds me of 2 people I know. 1, My employees that complain they don't want to make more money when I give them a raise cause it will bump them up in a tax bracket or make their kids not qualify for free shit from the state. Then theres my friends that count on their 3-5% pay increase every year and say "ok I can own a M3 in 20 years." Which to me is depressing.

Whats wrong with paying more taxes for a few years if in the end you will keep growing ? Raise after raise. But there is a good point to admitting you are content for once. That is great to sit back and say "look how far I have come, I did it, and I got my car". Enjoy that. But always press on. I absolutely agree with you guys. I too will always have a car that does everything. For me right now its the GT-R. Its not a supercar. Its a Nissan. But it has a huge trunk, a backseat for midgets and your coat, decent on the freeway, and a ton of power for the twisty roads. It wont ever be a Ferrari, but it will wow you with performance while on a conference call.

The best thing about the M3 is that it really does beat the class it is in by miles. The interior I think is better than the mercedes, the handling much better, more nimble than a bloated S5 or RS5 and BMW maintenance is the reason I have a 7 series and x5 for every single day. With all this being said. My absolute favorite car I have ever had the pleasure of driving and owning a toss up between the CGT and the Ford GT. Why? Because I had the chance to borrow a F40 for a week, and nothing on earth has had the same feeling close to that other than those cars. Rear engine, stripped interior, and manual transmission. It makes you feel like Al Unser JR when you rip off a glorious downshift to hear those engines. Like one person said, a supercar brings out super-emotions and a depth of feeling you will never feel in the M3. Its not super number and super performance, its the goosebumps for me.

Last edited by Optherion; 11-19-2012 at 10:51 AM..
Appreciate 0