BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

EXXEL Distributions

11-25-2012, 08:51 PM   #1
CrusherM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 E92 Jet Black

To change or not to change...?

Got low oil light just after arriving at my brother's house on T-Day. Of course no 10W-60 available anywhere. So I got on my bro's computer and came to M3Post immediately and found several helpful posts. I also ... M3 supplemental version and was able to find an open auto parts store that carried one of the reccomended oils for top off in a bind. Castrol Full Synthetic 5W-50. Added half quart and car still read low...added other half qt and of course car then read Max..but OK....

Now my question...I don't think a qt of 5W-50 will be a problem when introduced to 8 other qts of 10W-60 for a short time but my oil change is not due for 7K miles according to the computer. So I came to guys that know. I generally put less than 1K miles per month. Should I go ahead and have the oil changed or just wait it out?

and there will now always be quart of 10W-60 in my trunk...
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 08:56 PM   #2
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

You'll be fine......I wouldn't worry about it.........Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 09:07 PM   #3
CrusherM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 E92 Jet Black

That was what I thought...thanks for the reply.

Funny part was when I went into the O'Reily in Magnolia and asked for 10W-60. Guy looked at me like I had a horn growing out of my head and asked " What does that go in?" I pointed outside to the parking lot and said " That".

Ended up that the sales guy and another of his buddies came out and checked out the car while I was putting in the oil. Pretty cool guys.
Appreciate 0