BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

11-08-2014, 06:13 AM   #1
Rupes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 (current), E90 330xi (w

To those of you that have been driving for a while - have you noticed how unfriendly the roads have become? I used to think maybe it was because of my car, but I get the same treatment when driving my wife's Honda. People literally think they own the lane and area around their car. For example, construction causes a two lane road to merge into one. Typically you see the zipper effect, but there's always that guy that must be one car length ahead of you and "cuts" in line. Making a normal lane change in moderate traffic? Get ready to be honked at and possibly cut off / brake checked. Speeding in residential areas, running red lights, and just overly aggressive driving in general seem to be happening at a greater frequency.

There's just a lot of really angry people out there and they take it out on their fellow drivers with their 4,000 pound missiles. Don't even get me started on how many people are driving with their heads down texting.

There used to be a communal feeling when driving, but that's been replaced with a rampant feeling of entitlement and individualism. I'll get off my soapbox now, but is anyone else experiencing the same thing where they live?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 07:06 AM   #2
STooK
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Well I'm in nyc so this kind of stuff is normal sadly. It's everyone for themselves out there..be careful.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 07:36 AM   #3
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by STooK View Post
Well I'm in nyc so this kind of stuff is normal sadly. It's everyone for themselves out there..be careful.
Spent a week in NYC with fam couple of weeks ago (really exciting and nice btw!). Being a car guy I was surprised over what seemed to be a busy but yet friendly traffic, I see worse in Stockholm.
Also kept looking for M3's. They are fairly rare over here even being a capitol but under a full week walking Manhattan I only spotted 3 M3's, one E46, one E93 and one F80. Thought you had loads of them given the low(!) pricing vs Europe. Anyhow, lovely visit.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 07:49 AM   #4
Kurt_OH
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Spent a week in NYC with fam couple of weeks ago (really exciting and nice btw!). Being a car guy I was surprised over what seemed to be a busy but yet friendly traffic, I see worse in Stockholm.
Also kept looking for M3's. They are fairly rare over here even being a capitol but under a full week walking Manhattan I only spotted 3 M3's, one E46, one E93 and one F80. Thought you had loads of them given the low(!) pricing vs Europe. Anyhow, lovely visit.
There are only about 26,000 E9x M3 in the US. So yes, they are fairly uncommon. I'm not saying they're collector cars or anything like that. Just that it's unusual to see one, period.

Other than in Munich near the Welt, I've never seen one in Europe.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 08:00 AM   #5
david1504
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 SG ZCP m3

Sadly America has one of the worst drivers education systems, it is so easy to pass the test that a lot of people have no knowledge of road safety, and in the north a lot of states doesn't even have snow driving education, and almost all tests can be passed with an automatic, while most countries in Asia and Europe requires a manual
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 08:10 AM   #6
soberin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E90

I got my license 40 years ago. If I started each day of my 500 mile weekly commute worried about the manners of the other drivers, I wouldn't get out of bed. You just have to be defensive, and do some track days to blow off steam.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 08:29 AM   #7
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Personal i'm thinking it's the worldwide stress caused by the worldwide economical crisis !
It happens all over the world and even ///M3 drivers (case in Belgium) are involved...

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 10:19 AM   #8
V8FunNaturally
Banned
Rep
Drives: Regensburg Factory E92M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupes View Post
There's just a lot of really angry people out there and they take it out on their fellow drivers
Yes, unfortunately very much so. Here down South is the same. Don't get me wrong, the majority of people are still courteous and drive defensively however the number of frustrated, irritable and bad tempered people has increased dramatically. I think it's the normal result of a culture that places self entitlement, self this, self that, above all.

But i disagree on your second point. I also own a honda as a beater and driving the m3 triggers a -whole lot more of - those hateful and jealousy reactions on the road. Some people insecurities shell is very thin. They see red already because you own an m3 and happen to be in front of them - irrational but i don't explain it otherwise- if you only just make one sporty gear change all within speed limit mind you, it is enough for them to switch to full retard and full burning hate against your ostencious german bmw.
Fact is, the m3 is for real and if they don't want to acknowledge that, it is their behavioral problem. I've learned more to recognize dangerous haters on the road who put others at risk and by ignoring and looking down at their provocations. Usually they drive an old full size lexus, or a personal truck or american suv. You never see people driving audi, merc, volvo, corvette, or even mustang doing that. Prius drivers are also nutcases.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 11:51 AM   #9
Sinful
Banned
Rep
Drives: Its black and has 4 wheels

In Texas and I will confirm that people are MAD...lol
Everyone seems to be on medication treating depression and anxiety. etc..
Do you think its humanities focus on being number 1 or your nothing? Or perhaps self worth being defined as networth?
Seems to be the root of sadness for those I talk to ...

Last edited by Sinful; 11-08-2014 at 11:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 12:14 PM   #10
m3ray
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '09 e92 M3

Quote:
+1

Holiday season too. Big contributor to road rage.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 01:27 PM   #11
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Driving has become a chore, so the anger surfaces when self-focused people are just seeing their point B. Around here, it's the "imported" drivers that are the worst, and they know it too.
      11-08-2014, 05:35 PM   #12
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Around major metropolitan areas...drivers will usually be kind of aggressive. But Texas...I've found that the drivers are actually pretty courteous. Move up here to Wisconsin...people are straight a$$holes. Its war on the roads here.

But I think the traffic congestion breeds a lot of anger. Cops really need to enforce left lane laws. What PISSES me off is when you finally clear a back up and its just open road...why the hell was there a slow down to begin with??? I've seen plenty of cases where an idiot in the left lane causes a slow down on the highway. Its usually some ditzy college girl or a CRV/RAV-4 mom. Those crossover utes are the worst.

In Texas it was usually a beater with a Mexican driving causing the jam. Call me racist and sexist...just callin' it how I see it.

But the one thing that used to get me into instant rage mode was the morons in these donks (lifted caprice classics with 30" wheels) causing a traffic jam because he can't make a left turn because he turned his car into a piece of sh1t.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 07:08 PM   #13
///WeissBisBlau
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘21 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsweet View Post
...driving the m3 triggers a -whole lot more of - those hateful and jealousy reactions on the road...
So true. It just is. Right after I got mine, had a "deal" with this jackwagon--whom I JUST PASSED (per a normal, everyday, interstate overtake, from the left lane, he in the middle of three)--in some Ford...something. I watched in amazement as I simply toodled along at my interstate speeds as he took off and started weaving in and out of traffic ahead of me, cutting people off, making them slam on brakes, etc, wedging into spaces I have no IDEA how he pulled off... Finally, as traffic forced me to be right behind him (), I made like the "cease and desist" gesture. Miraculously, he didn't shoot me, and then he calmed down and went on his merry way. Fool was gonna get somebody hurt. And for what? I had done nothing to the dumbass. The ONLY thing I can figure is that he did not share my passion for the brand, nor my brand new from-the-factory M3.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2014, 12:52 AM   #14
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
Come to Seattle.

The Pacific Northwest hosts the biggest number of idiots with no driving skills (but plenty of bicycling skills) in the nation IMO.

I have driven in TX, NYC, CA, FL and WA State takes the cake.

Left Lane is not considered any different than any other lane (if flashed, they will slam on their brakes)
And it is very common for someone to take a left turn in front of you when you are doing 50MPH.
We have one of our biggest accidents on sunny days when all the morons are looking at the beauty of the scenery & etc.

Peace :-)
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2014, 07:41 AM   #15
Kurt_OH
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Prius drivers are also nutcases.
I've encountered many Prius drivers who drive fairly fast, and others who creep. One thing they seem to have in common is a determination to prevent you from going faster than them. They seem to live to be a rolling roadblock, staying in the left lane next to another vehicle as cars stack up behind them.

I really dislike that passive aggressive BS.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2014, 07:42 AM   #16
MTrezzz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lime Rock Edition

Quote:
+10000 NYC has some crazy people out their.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2014, 08:14 AM   #17
Saandiaago
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_OH
Quote:
Prius drivers are also nutcases.
I've encountered many Prius drivers who drive fairly fast, and others who creep. One thing they seem to have in common is a determination to prevent you from going faster than them. They seem to live to be a rolling roadblock, staying in the left lane next to another vehicle as cars stack up behind them.

+1
I agree. I routinely see Prius drivers going 80-85 here. Or 75 who then speed up as you try to pass them. I've noticed toyota corolla drivers speed as well. Lots of mean people out there. When I was younger I would get into it. I don't do that anymore. Not worth it. I once had a guy wave one of those "club" security devices at me. I guess he was going to hit me over the head with it?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2014, 08:18 AM   #18
Rupes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 (current), E90 330xi (w

Ha! The club. Do people still use those?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2014, 09:36 AM   #19
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_OH View Post

All fucking prius must fucking die.
      11-09-2014, 01:17 PM   #20
Konig
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: _

California has the worst drivers I've across thus far, which is a shame since I commute here. My favorite technique is something I've named "the California trifecta," which is where the person is (1) in the left lane, (2) going at/below the speed limit, and (3) has their high beams on.

When I commute in my Miata, I'm practically invisible. In the M3, I've been flipped off regularly and had people actually try to run me off the road.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 10:26 AM   #21
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_OH View Post

All fucking prius must fucking die.
Amen!
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 11:19 AM   #22
Kurt_OH
Captain
United_States
Rep

I just drive the speed I want to go, and get over if a car catches up to me from behind unless I'm in traffic. I do this whether they're polite or riding my butt. Just don't need the drama and I take pride in good driving, especially around bad drivers. Keeps me and my car safe, and hopefully gives LE something to do besides worry about me!
Appreciate 0