BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

10-18-2013, 03:14 PM   #67
trucheli
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Porsche 911 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzentruber View Post
I think you are forgetting Florida vehicle sales tax, which is 6%, as well as other various registration fees. You may not be losing a ton of money every year when you do this, but it's certainly not a profitable endeavor unless you are selling to a moron. Florida does have the sales tax trade-in exemption, but most dealers aren't going to give a great trade-in value on a one-year old car, and if you go private party like the OP mentioned, you are paying full sales tax on each new car. I still have to wonder if this is going to be your strategy, that a one-year lease wouldn't actually make more sense, but if you've convinced yourself this is financially smart, I'm sure none of us are going to change your mind.
Let me put it this way, I only pay taxes on the difference of my sell price and purchased price. FYI I am a financial professional so I am know what I am doing. Let's just leave it at that. No need to question my business sense.
      10-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #68
trucheli
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techjunkie666 View Post
How do you build equity in a car? I have never been able to do that. And I always do a tough bargain on buying cars. Would love to learn your secret.
Very simple you buy low and sell high, just like the stock market.
      10-18-2013, 03:21 PM   #69
trucheli
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenSteven View Post
Ok, so let's assume this strategy lets him jump into a new car every 9 months or so with no loss or additional money invested. Plus he has a reason to travel to Germany every 9 months, so those costs don't count either (most or all of the ED savings go towarda the rest of the trip).

It still doesn't make much sense to jump into a shittier car? I guess it's just the closest new ED thing available to the eventual M4? Does your vocation require you to beat on your vehicles to necessitate such an attrition rate? If not, do you even get to experience these cars when you're spending most of your time breaking in new engines? Is there a connection formed with any of these cars or is it just an endless routine of keeping up with the Joneses to always have the latest thing? Does this need stem from an inferiority complex or just being a poseur? Both?
The cost of traveling to Germany is irrelevant because that's my vacation and I would have spend the money anyway even if I didn't pick up the car. The difference is that I can travel with my vehicle all over Europe without having to do the tourist thing. But that's just me.
      10-18-2013, 03:29 PM   #70
trucheli
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

It still doesn't make much sense to jump into a shittier car? I guess it's just the closest new ED thing available to the eventual M4? It still doesn't make much sense to jump into a shittier car? I guess it's just the closest new ED thing available to the eventual M4? Is there a connection formed with any of these cars or is it just an endless routine of keeping up with the Joneses to always have the latest thing? Does this need stem from an inferiority complex or just being a poseur? Both? [/QUOTE]

It still doesn't make much sense to jump into a shittier car? I guess it's just the closest new ED thing available to the eventual M4?
This is correct!!

Is there a connection formed with any of these cars or is it just an endless routine of keeping up with the Joneses to always have the latest thing?
I have built a connection with 4 M3s and I will keep building it. That's why I am here talking about my experience. It's not about having the latest, simply a business decision that allows me to own a great vehicle at the lowes cost. Let's assume that at the end of the 9 months I am upside down $3000. The cost of ownership is only $333 a month. Let me know about anyone who owns an M3 and has a $333 dollar payment.
      10-18-2013, 03:32 PM   #71
Hedoniste
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | M135i

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M235i
Coming from an f30 335i myself, it's pretty easy to see how some may make the switch back to a 3/4 series.

I like the M3 a lot. BUT ... in my short time with the e92 M3 I am quickly coming to the realization that you are really wasting a ton of money and leaving a lot of power and performance on the table if you are driving this car on public roads or for commuting. Bottom line. Coupled with the poor MPG, higher insurance rates and payments, I can easily see how the 435i or 335i might be a better decision for most and offer a competitive alternative. The M3 is either an outstanding track car, an amazingly fun weekend toy or an unreasonably expensive and unpractical DD (for most). Not everyone has money to throw to the wind.

Having said that, the N55 engine coupled with the 8 speed ZF8 in the newer cars feels (notice I said feels) quite a bit faster and more responsive than the e92 M3. It's not like you're downgrading to a Honda. It also happens to be more liveable in daily driving, the interior is light years ahead of the e9x generation and can be had for almost half what you're paying to run and upkeep your M3. Where the M3 shines is V8 soundtrack, WOT pulls, aggressive cornering, precise steering, high speed handling and stunning looks. None of which matter that much in the case of a daily driver.

If you just have one car and you need it to do everything well, the M3 is a bad decision IMO. If this is a second car (weekend, track, Fun, ...) it's great.

What is unique to the e9x generation is the better steering and handling. The f30/32 leave a lot to be desired in that department, but again, you don't need an M3 for that. The 335i e90/e92 were already fine.

Proceed with the snark comments and M3 superiority complex jokes.
I totally agree with you. M3 is not a good DD. I fund 335i or M135i way better DD.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 03:38 PM   #72
trucheli
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD-E93-11 View Post
About as much sense as changing one's car every year to build equity.
To me makes perfect sense. The rest of you keep leasing your vehicles and be happy with that. This thread took the wrong turn. Maybe it was my fault by giving too much information about something that I needed to keep to myself. It doesn't matter if I am able to make a profit on my cars. I wonder why you guys don't question all the BMW dealers that are making a profit.

Let's talk about the cars instead of my way of doing business.

Enough said.
      10-18-2013, 03:39 PM   #73
EvenSteven
Banned
Rep
Drives: '11 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucheli View Post
The cost of traveling to Germany is irrelevant because that's my vacation and I would have spend the money anyway even if I didn't pick up the car. The difference is that I can travel with my vehicle all over Europe without having to do the tourist thing. But that's just me.
Well then that's awesome, and I'm super jealous! My apologies if I came across as harsh before. I still wonder about going from an M to a 3/4, but whatever, I guess. I couldn't do what you do, I get attached to my vehicles. A new car every year strikes me like always just driving a rental. I would rather have an M3 there (6MT), and another one here in the States (DCT), rather than the dubious privilege of providing an endless stream of low mileage entry-level CPOs for BMW NA. Then again, I'm sure their future owners are grateful to you for the savings.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 03:42 PM   #74
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Leasing wouldn't work for my case since I change my cars every year. Besides, why piss money away on a lease when I can build equity by purchasing.

So the travel is free? The sales tax is zero? You really find someone to buy a one year old depreciated car above ED pricing? Whatever this is just weird but if it works for you then great! So then we're back to the choice for 435i over M3 because you couldn't wait a year? Also weird. Then what motivated you to post about this on here? Seems rather attention grabby.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 03:50 PM   #75
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

10-18-2013, 03:59 PM   #76
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
and I will be moving to the 4 threads.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 04:02 PM   #77
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Quote:
Very simple you buy low and sell high, just like the stock market.
?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 04:02 PM   #78
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post

So the travel is free? The sales tax is zero? You really find someone to buy a one year old depreciated car above ED pricing? Whatever this is just weird but if it works for you then great! So then we're back to the choice for 435i over M3 because you couldn't wait a year? Also weird. Then what motivated you to post about this on here? Seems rather attention grabby.
EQUITY??!?! The logic and understanding of depreciation is fuzzy on OP's end.

this thread now needs a double dose of:

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 04:08 PM   #79
cambit
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 COUPE

why would you build equity by purchasing a depreciating asset. And at the tail end of production no less.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 04:12 PM   #80
gymtime
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

The numbers are not making any sense to me
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 04:21 PM   #81
HeartMD
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 MW,ZCP E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildbright View Post
Maybe he could not afford the payments.
LOL possibly. I could understand if he had the car for a year or two and then possibly got tired of the high gas cost or the possiblity of the over the top out of warranty expenses, but too just sell a brand new car to get another one?!
2011.75 E92 MW/BB extended,ZCP,ZP2,ZCV, IPOD,BMW APPS, Heatedseats,6MT, Edition Black Chrome Grills & Side Gills, CF splitters, CF performance spoiler, CF mirror caps, Turner black anodized pedals, Akropovic Evolution exhaust w/CF tips, Still Undecided on tune, AFE Pro5r, AFE intake scoops, LUX H8
2009 E92 JB/Black 335 xdrive (retired)
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 04:23 PM   #82
MWM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSSIIM3 View Post
peasant
Downgraded to a peasant, indeed.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 04:23 PM   #83
HeartMD
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 MW,ZCP E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post

Very true. It just doesnt make any sense. I think I smell a troll going about his trolling.
2011.75 E92 MW/BB extended,ZCP,ZP2,ZCV, IPOD,BMW APPS, Heatedseats,6MT, Edition Black Chrome Grills & Side Gills, CF splitters, CF performance spoiler, CF mirror caps, Turner black anodized pedals, Akropovic Evolution exhaust w/CF tips, Still Undecided on tune, AFE Pro5r, AFE intake scoops, LUX H8
2009 E92 JB/Black 335 xdrive (retired)
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 04:45 PM   #84
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartMD View Post
LOL possibly. I could understand if he had the car for a year or two and then possibly got tired of the high gas cost or the possiblity of the over the top out of warranty expenses, but too just sell a brand new car to get another one?!
I know agree with you. It's not the most fiscally responsible thing I have heard today. Lol I'll be honest I bought the 335i and now I am hungry for the M. I thought you never buy the old model when the new model is out. I kick myself all the time.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 04:55 PM   #85
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M235i View Post
If you just have one car and you need it to do everything well, the M3 is a bad decision IMO. If this is a second car (weekend, track, Fun, ...) it's great.
TOTALLY disagree with this! The M3 is the PERFECT car to do everything!

I take it to work, to the hardware store, to the beach, on road trips, in the canyons, on the track, etc. It is fast, comfortable, quiet, luxurious, composed, and many many other positive automotive adjectives.

The ONLY compromise is the fuel economy. But what do you expect.
      10-18-2013, 04:57 PM   #86
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M235i View Post
Coming from an f30 335i myself, it's pretty easy to see how some may make the switch back to a 3/4 series.

I like the M3 a lot. BUT ... in my short time with the e92 M3 I am quickly coming to the realization that you are really wasting a ton of money and leaving a lot of power and performance on the table if you are driving this car on public roads or for commuting. Bottom line. Coupled with the poor MPG, higher insurance rates and payments, I can easily see how the 435i or 335i might be a better decision for most and offer a competitive alternative. The M3 is either an outstanding track car, an amazingly fun weekend toy or an unreasonably expensive and unpractical DD (for most). Not everyone has money to throw to the wind.

Having said that, the N55 engine coupled with the 8 speed ZF8 in the newer cars feels (notice I said feels) quite a bit faster and more responsive than the e92 M3. It's not like you're downgrading to a Honda. It also happens to be more liveable in daily driving, the interior is light years ahead of the e9x generation and can be had for almost half what you're paying to run and upkeep your M3. Where the M3 shines is V8 soundtrack, WOT pulls, aggressive cornering, precise steering, high speed handling and stunning looks. None of which matter that much in the case of a daily driver.

What is unique to the e9x generation is the better steering and handling. The f30/32 leave a lot to be desired in that department, but again, you don't need an M3 for that. The 335i e90/e92 were already fine.

Proceed with the snark comments and M3 superiority complex jokes.
You are right "FEELS" is the key word here. It is not in reality.

Just like the Honda S2000. Feels fast and loud but it is dog sled slow IMO and always will be in OEM trim.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 05:00 PM   #87
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Ryder View Post
This goes against everything we say and know about the E9x M3. This is probably the best feature of the car. We've had guys load Christmas trees, load up at Loews, and then head to the track. C'Mon Man .........Phil
I disagree with you. MOST, and I say most folks should have multiple vehicles IMO for different things. Snow duty, hauling, long distance driving, track time, etc... The M3 is not the ideal candidate for all of this. I know because in 30 inches of snow on the road a slammed California M3 in Maine will go nowhere except to sleep in the garage. Tell me how I know? Shoveling hundreds and hundreds of pounds of snow off my driveway every winter so I can get my X5 out to the road. The M3 cannot do the hard duty. This is a fact.

I see so many hundreds of young owners on this site dump thousands of dollars into this car and its the only vehicle they own. Anyone can do that.. lol Been there done that man and learned from that experience. Sorry..

The bigger thing is if my TL goes down I have an M3 and X5. If my M3 and TL go down I still have my X5. So there is always a back up and absolutely no excuse for missing work. lol

Last edited by Endless619; 10-18-2013 at 05:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 05:05 PM   #88
GVIFlyer
Large Member
Rep
Drives: '19 Porsche C2S Cab_M3 DCT ZCP

The way BMW leverages their leases and manages the money factor, they are probably the most cost-effective way to drive a BMW - you pay for what you use. But, I just can't do it - with a leased car I don't feel like I own it - I just feel like I'm managing an asset for somebody else.
Appreciate 0