BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Closed Thread

02-02-2010, 02:34 AM   #177
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF4Rrider View Post
Don't feed the troll. Just another .35i driver who doesn't understand torque vs. force vs. acceleration. Wish I had a dollar for each one of them.
I understand that you bash the n54 any chance you get. And you call me a troll. You don't even drive anything in this disscussion. Hello.

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 07:20 AM   #178
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGoneRogue View Post
The majority of people I know agree that day-day driving is better in the N54's because of the powerband. And FI is always more tunable than NA. These are major factors. They are 2 different cars for 2 different purposes.
You must know all the wrong people then...

You are a troll who has no idea about the M3.
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 10:16 AM   #179
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Who stays stock? Even you have upgrades. I was just saying show some respect when it's due. That's all. The majority of people I know agree that day-day driving is better in the N54's because of the powerband. And FI is always more tunable than NA. These are major factors. They are 2 different cars for 2 different purposes.
How can you even discuss the merit of one car over another when you include modifications. Sorry but to hold any debate on the merits of both cars you have to take them in stock form. After all I believe that was what the OP meant when the thread started.

Also while there may well be more people on this and other forums that would modify their cars, the majority don't and even the ones that do restrict their modifications to a set of wheels, an exhaust, some suspension tweaks and possibly a mild chip tune. It's a limited few that will take their stock car to the extremes where they basically kiss their warranty goodbye.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 10:51 AM   #180
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
How can you even discuss the merit of one car over another when you include modifications. Sorry but to hold any debate on the merits of both cars you have to take them in stock form. After all I believe that was what the OP meant when the thread started.

Also while there may well be more people on this and other forums that would modify their cars, the majority don't and even the ones that do restrict their modifications to a set of wheels, an exhaust, some suspension tweaks and possibly a mild chip tune. It's a limited few that will take their stock car to the extremes where they basically kiss their warranty goodbye.
While I do agree with most of what you have said, the title was very vague. I do apologize for missing the "335is" vs M3 focus. However, I did not feel a desire to post until I read people presenting the view that nothing is faster than the M as fact. Sadly, a good amount of posts in this thread ENTIRELY missed the point. Comparing comfort, fit and finish etc. The title asks which one is faster. And every conclusion stock for stock should be the M. What a silly and baited question in the first place. That begs for trolls. But you cannot act supprised when you hear that with a mild chip tune the N54 is faster. Period.

2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 11:04 AM   #181
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
But you cannot act supprised when you hear that with a mild chip tune the N54 is faster. Period.
Well that was why I questioned your post in the first place, each person's opinion on what is 'mild'. To me that is a 10-15% increase in output at which point I question if such an 335i would be as quick, never mind quicker.

See my point.

I will confess as probably all the other M3 owners (past owner in my case) that it's easier and cheaper to tune the 335i compared to the M3. But in the same breath I would reckon that the M3 as an overall package is much better prepared to cope with an additional amount of power, i.e. the power increase you are suggesting and 335i would need to overhaul an M3.

It's a double edged blade when discussing tuning, well that my opinion based on my limited knowledge.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 11:20 AM   #182
Trier Germany
Banned
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: 2009 E-90 M3 space gray

Thumbs down M hater

Quote:
Your such a troll. Just because you are one of the few people to temporarily be close to the ring, you think thats the end-all be all. It is a great testament to engineering, andthe 135i is not a track car. But in reality, your precious M3 would get owned in 99% of the rest of your daily driving experiences. Once you leave the ring, your slower, heavier, and underpowered compared to the FI N54's. But hey, it's still an M right? So you're still better than the rest of us lol. Until we pull up to you at a stoplight . See you stateside .
99% of he time is a bold statement! I never said we were better than the rest! I stated drag racing is boring. I didn't by my ///M for straightline speed I bought it cause, I like the driving dynamics ability to be mean on a track and drive home in comfort. I'll say it one more time I didn't by my ///M for stop light races. I said meet on a track any track especially the ring and the M3 is far superior car to a 135I or 335I or IS. You driven on the ring and you know for fact you can't even touch the driving dynamics, know matter how many mods you do to your mighty N54 engines! How many back to back laps can you do, with out overheating your oil and get heat soak?

If you want to race M3's from stoplights or in a drag race. You might want to talk to the m3 owners who have superchargers well see if you beat these guys 99% of the time. Tough to swallow your comments now!

Last edited by Trier Germany; 02-02-2010 at 11:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 11:35 AM   #183
Trier Germany
Banned
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: 2009 E-90 M3 space gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by acs1.35i
It's an open door. We all know. I am the only one to say it out loud: the .35i is much faster than the M3. Lets face it. It's that simple. Here is just one video:
dragrace 135i vs. e92m3

Drag racing is boring! Lets take this battle to a little town called Nurburg, which happens to have a race track thats 20.8Km long. your precious 135I and 335I would be eaten alive. This race track is the M3's playground and the M3 doesn't play nice! please show some respect for the mighty M3

Read the post Hondgonerouge!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 11:52 AM   #184
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
But you cannot act supprised when you hear that with a mild chip tune the N54 is faster. Period.
But that is not true.

I've owned a 335i with all variations of the Juice Box, starting with the original JB1. The only one that was playing in the same category with the M3 was the JB3 on one of the high boost maps - and that is not what I call a mild tune. If I owned an N54 powered car and wanted to own it for more than 2-3 years, I would not even run any of the high boost maps, from any chip provider - you're setting yourself up for trouble that way, IMO.

Why do you think I ended up with an M3, and not a 135i? Do you think perhaps I like paying $5-10k more, if I could have had the same performance in the 135i?

I'm sorry, but you sound like someone comparing numbers on paper - or internet forums. Have you driven an M3 in anger at all?

(And BTW, the Nurburgring really is the end-all be-all in terms of performance driving. I've been there twice and there is nothing else like it.)
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 11:58 AM   #185
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
I understand that you bash the n54 any chance you get. And you call me a troll. You don't even drive anything in this disscussion. Hello.

I owned a 135i for 8 months (4,000 miles...all in Germany)...tried it as a DD and didn't like it. Does that count??? I don't like the engine because it doesn't have any power where you need it most. That isn't opinion...that is fact. A tune makes it faster in a straight line, but it also changes the nature of the power delivery (more peaky) but still has the upper end power loss as the motor simply can't handle high boost at high rpms without melting. A peaky powerband is not advantegous in cornering. All that aside, the 135i/335i and sure-to-be the 335is are not that fun to drive and there's little you can do to make them fun.

BTW, faster means top speed. Quicker refers to acceleration. I'm sure the OP meant quicker. But in terms of faster, there's no comparison as the .35i cars aren't that stable at high speeds, and the motor looses too much torque at high rpms so they aren't an ideal choice for fast driving. Fast driving is M territory as the motors with their exceptionally flat torque curves make huge power in the upper rpm region. In comparison, my Z4 M is more stable at 175 mph than my 135i was at 140. I blame the 135i's instability on the high(er) CG and box-like aerodynamics. Bought the CF rear spoiler to try to improve it but shortly thereafter decided to dump it (car) so never mounted it. Perhaps the rear lip would have helped?

Last edited by MVF4Rrider; 02-02-2010 at 12:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 12:57 PM   #186
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
In comparison, my Z4 M is more stable at 175 mph than my 135i was at 140. I blame the 135i's instability on the high(er) CG and box-like aerodynamics. Bought the CF rear spoiler to try to improve it but shortly thereafter decided to dump it (car) so never mounted it. Perhaps the rear lip would have helped?
Not really - or maybe perhaps a little.

But my 335i was also unstable over 140 mph compared to the M3 - I put that down to suspension calibration & geometry, tires and aero - in that order.

Do a suspension/wheel/aero on the 135i and it should be fine.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 06:55 PM   #187
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Not really - or maybe perhaps a little.

But my 335i was also unstable over 140 mph compared to the M3 - I put that down to suspension calibration & geometry, tires and aero - in that order.

Do a suspension/wheel/aero on the 135i and it should be fine.

135i is a tall car in comparison to a 335 and especially my Z4M. It drifts around at high speeds. And when I refer to high speed I'm talking sustained high speed...not just quickly hitting a mark and backing off. Could be the narrow front tires (lacking grip) or just funky aerodynamics. Ultimately I didn't like the light steering feel at high speeds, but mine didn't have the steering option to auto adjust steering effort between high and low speed driving. I'm not saying .35i's suck. There are just driving characteristics which fail to live up to M standards. Making these cars faster won't make up for all the other shortcomings (compared to M models). It is what it is.
      02-03-2010, 03:46 AM   #188
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Making these cars faster won't make up for all the other shortcomings (compared to M models). It is what it is.
Who ever said it would? Is that even what the title asks? And who the hell sustains high speeds like that? The few G.I.'s that are stationed in Germany? Get real. No one can use an M3 at its potential daily. This is the mentality that people see and in turn stereotype Bimmer drivers by. Get off the M badges' nuts. A good car is a good car. And both cars are good. Threads like these should get locked after a mod sees the title. All you guys do is pump eachothers egos and reassure yourselves the M on your boot compensates for what you truly lack. And you personally should get a real M and leave that hairdressers car to the fruitloops.

2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 04:04 AM   #189
Donbona
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 DCT 2008

Who cares which is faster... would you prefer to be in a 35i or this----->
Attached Images

M3 E93 DCT, Space Grey,BC HB29 Forged Deep Concave Wheels, Ericsson Amuse F/R Bumper, Evolve Full Exhaust System, INTRAX Coilovers, STOPTECH BBK, Performance Steering Wheel,Custom Red/Black Leather Seats,///M3 ||Bimmerpost M3 Car Of The Month May - 2010SOLD
2010 R35 GTR
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 04:08 AM   #190
GTAStradale
Enlisted Member
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: M3 CSL

Moderator - please close such useless threads.

Guys, how dont you get bored with such useless discussions? Discussions like these make me feel like changing the forum.

- both cars are good. fullstop.
- M3 is faster, more expensive and more focused than 335is. fullstop.

Whoever thinks 335si is faster, get off this forum and join E90 post to cure your disease.

Keep this forum for E92 enthusiast to share their ideas about M3s and help each other enjoy these cars more.

Sorry if this sounds rude, but I am getting sick when I see such useless thread.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 04:12 AM   #191
Donbona
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAStradale View Post
Guys, how dont you get bored with such useless discussions? Discussions like these make me feel like changing the forum.

- both cars are good. fullstop.
- M3 is faster, more expensive and more focused than 335is. fullstop.

Whoever thinks 335si is faster, get off this forum and join E90 post to cure your disease.

Keep this forum for E92 enthusiast to share their ideas about M3s and help each other enjoy these cars more.

Sorry if this sounds rude, but I am getting sick when I see such useless thread.
+1
M3 E93 DCT, Space Grey,BC HB29 Forged Deep Concave Wheels, Ericsson Amuse F/R Bumper, Evolve Full Exhaust System, INTRAX Coilovers, STOPTECH BBK, Performance Steering Wheel,Custom Red/Black Leather Seats,///M3 ||Bimmerpost M3 Car Of The Month May - 2010SOLD
2010 R35 GTR
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 04:20 AM   #192
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbona View Post
Who cares which is faster... would you prefer to be in a 35i or this----->
Clean car. I wouldn't take a drop top for anything though. Do you know how much that weighs? And torsional rigidty goes out the window. But it does look good.

2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 05:30 AM   #193
Donbona
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Clean car. I wouldn't take a drop top for anything though. Do you know how much that weighs? And torsional rigidty goes out the window. But it does look good.
3775lb, but I lost weight by adding a titanium exhaust system and also a couple of other mods to take the car up to 460bhp. But at the end of the day im a poser and like to be seen cruising aswell as putting the pedal to the floor when needed!
Look I like the 35's, I think they look good and perform well but like the previous guy said the disscussion is pointless, there will be no winner as nobody will back down. Lets just enjoy our rides and have fun
2010 R35 GTR
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 05:31 AM   #194
Donbona
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
3775lb, but I lost weight by adding a titanium exhaust system and also a couple of other mods to take the car up to 460bhp. But at the end of the day im a poser and like to be seen cruising aswell as putting the pedal to the floor when needed!
Look I like the 35's, I think they look good and perform well but like the previous guy said the disscussion is pointless, there will be no winner as nobody will back down. Lets just enjoy our rides and have fun
2010 R35 GTR
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 05:50 AM   #195
Epik
Awesome & Likes Cookies
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M5

Who cares about the added weight when the buyer wants to enjoy topless driving.

I like how coupe fanboys like to pretend the slight additional weight ruins the car as if they're driving a GT3 RS or something.

You are driving a cushy 4seater hellooo.
      02-03-2010, 06:12 AM   #196
Donbona
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epik View Post
Who cares about the added weight when the buyer wants to enjoy topless driving.

I like how coupe fanboys like to pretend the slight additional weight ruins the car as if they're driving a GT3 RS or something.

You are driving a cushy 4seater hellooo.
2010 R35 GTR
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 07:05 AM   #197
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Despite my request earlier in this thread, it doesn't seem to be possible to discuss a topic like this in a mature manner. Hence, this thread is closed.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread