BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

11-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #1
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Low Pressure / ICV Issue?

(cross-post for right place)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip View Post
I have another thread where we discussed the codes my car was throwing and possible problems/fixes. You can see that at this link if you'd like to read the detailed back story...
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=683661

Problem: I got a check engine light and my I-Drive reported 'Increased Emissions'.
I've got a 2011 with 11,800 miles and sounds like I have the same issue.

I've been getting rough idle very occasionally for weeks. Then the car died after start-up one morning and I got all of the lights; shut 'er down, restarted and everything was gone. Then I started getting no power on light throttle when going under 10 mph unless I really pushed down.

Now this morning it almost died and then did a big over-rev and the SES and increased emissions lights came on. I shut 'er down, waited, and restarted with no change.

I set up an appointment with a local dealer but it's 2 weeks out. Question is, is this too long to wait with this problem? Should I be asking for earlier appointment (will do that anyway) and/or try a new dealer? Or do y'all think I'll be good until my appointment?

Thanks!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 02:04 AM   #2
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Stop driving the car. Take it in sooner or find another dealer.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----

Last edited by BPMSport; 11-13-2012 at 02:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 02:37 PM   #3
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

If it's ICV issues, I can't think of any damage that can be caused by driving it for 2 more weeks. In my past experience with ICV issues (not with M3), once the first symptoms shows, you have about 2 weeks to get it fixed before this happens:

At one point, the car will be undrivable. Every time the car goes into idle even after a peroid of normal driving, the idle will drop so low to a point where the car will stall. In this case to keep the engine running, you need to constantly have your foot on the gas pedal, needless to say, then this becomes a safety issue and you'll need to get the car towed to the dealer.

Recommendation:
1. Bump up the appointment
2. don't drive your car unless necessary to delay the timeline (not guanteed it'll continue to work in 2 weeks)
3. anytime within the 2 weeks, drop your car off at the dealer, and use a rental car (not ideal, your car will be sitting in the dealer service lot with minimum supervision, unless you can get them to store it inside for 2 weeks)

Last edited by mdosu; 11-14-2012 at 02:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 08:57 PM   #4
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
Recommendation:
1. Bump up the appointment
Thanks fellas! Well I did get the appointment bumped up to Friday and I haven't had to drive it more than 1 mile/day except today: got in this morning to drive 1/4 mile roundtrip (yes there's a reason but I ain't gonna waste time explaining it) and ... no lights!

Suddenly everything is totally fine so, on a risk, I had a 20 mile drive I was putting off but decided to go for it and no problems - only once did the throttle feel sluggish and only for a second or so. But still no more SES or increased emissions.

It will be interesting to see what the dealer says on Friday; going to Gary Wilson @ Mountain View BMW, heard he's good.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 03:02 PM   #5
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If it's ICV issues, I can't think of any damage that can be caused by driving it for 2 more weeks.
Word back is that it's the bank 1 throttle actuator valve. In order to get to it they have to take off the intake manifold I guess so it's not a small job. Also sounds like they have to order the part which will take a day ... not sure where from. Anyway, that's the latest
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 04:53 PM   #6
RBB
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Word back is that it's the bank 1 throttle actuator valve. In order to get to it they have to take off the intake manifold I guess so it's not a small job. Also sounds like they have to order the part which will take a day ... not sure where from. Anyway, that's the latest
Not a big job, just an expensive one. I had bank 2 replaced back in the summer out of warranty for about $1K, and that was with 50% goodwill. Car has been running great since the replacement.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 08:11 AM   #7
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBB View Post
Not a big job, just an expensive one. I had bank 2 replaced back in the summer out of warranty for about $1K, and that was with 50% goodwill. Car has been running great since the replacement.
holy cow....$1k with a coupon! which dealer is this?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 08:22 AM   #8
RBB
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
holy cow....$1k with a coupon! which dealer is this?
BMW of Fairfax. I think the total was around $1,800. Almost 50/50 between the part and the labor, so I paid $900. Its damn expensive for such a small and relatively simple part. I figured I might as well just take it in since I was basically just paying for the part with free labor. I was also under the impression that you had to have the actuator initialized with the dealer software. Now, I'm not so sure if that's the case. They wrote up a blurb on the receipt about the initialization, but W did a nice DIY on the replacement and his appears to be working just fine without initializing. If my bank 1 goes out and no goodwill is given I'll try it myself.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 10:12 AM   #9
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBB View Post
BMW of Fairfax. I think the total was around $1,800. Almost 50/50 between the part and the labor, so I paid $900. Its damn expensive for such a small and relatively simple part. I figured I might as well just take it in since I was basically just paying for the part with free labor. I was also under the impression that you had to have the actuator initialized with the dealer software. Now, I'm not so sure if that's the case. They wrote up a blurb on the receipt about the initialization, but W did a nice DIY on the replacement and his appears to be working just fine without initializing. If my bank 1 goes out and no goodwill is given I'll try it myself.
good to know, thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 07:19 PM   #10
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The final verdict is in. Looks like they reset my adaptive values ... in a quick drive of the car I haven't noticed any difference but have had hardly any seat time and won't get it for 5 days.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0