BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-14-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
Muns
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series E90

BMW 3 Series E90: Can the BMW E90 ECU clock be wrong?

BMW 3 Series E90: Can the BMW E90 ECU clock be wrong?

My BMW 330 E90 model was stolen 6 months ago. Some of the investigation results that were given back to me from the insurance company are wrong, but I dont know how I can prove so.

I was given the key fob information by the insurance company. The reports gave back details of the usage of the car, including the last use of time and date.

The information I recieved from their investigation reports are wrong as the time where the key was alleged to be used, it was in my possession at home.

Please advise me - my car has never been serviced by a BMW dealership in the 3 and half years I have owned it, nor has it been connectted to a diogonstic stick to any software source.

In the time of me owning my car, it has been replaced with a new battery due to the current one was in constant drainage.

The only work done to the car in my ownership is simple services. I was told that the key fob information could be wrong because of the internal cluster system or the car ECU set wrong.

The key fob gets the date and timestamp from the instrument cluster ECU unit. The cluster gets its information from the customer setting the date and time in the radio. If it has been set it incorrectly at any point it would be wrong in the key (like when the battery would have been changed, the information would have been reset).

or

The key fob gets the date and timestamp from the ECU unit. The ECU unit gets its timing and date information from the last software update or engine diagnose synchronization from an external computer source, which sets the date and time. If it has been reset by the battery power being taken out of the engine for more than 20 mins, the clock would be reset and would store incorrect information.

I know one of these sources are correct but I need to prove to the company how and why the key fob information could be wrong.

Please can you advise me someone?
Appreciate 0