BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

07-07-2007, 10:05 AM   #1
aerisolphaln
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '05 G35 coupe 6MT

God-Damned CSL

So in reading the new reviews that have come out in the last 24 hours, a common and recurring theme is "We can't wait for the release of the CSL, which is definitely coming and should be much better than this new M3"

I'm quite disappointed by this and am now very seriously considering other vehicles.

06/2008: M3, 335+Dinan, or ...
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2007, 10:25 AM   #2
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
why? the M3 is a great car all over. the CSL is just greater!

btw, hi 6MTer
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2007, 10:58 AM   #3
nechronics
Lieutenant
Syria
Rep
Drives: M3

it's just so depressing to have all these reviewers say that the real car we've been expecting and drooling over wont be here for 2+ more years and at a higher price premium than what we thought....in the meantime tho, expect a pretty decent crippled version of the car to be available at your dealership soon

god I hope that's not going to be the case....i'm still optimistic tho and there's plenty of hope left in me yet
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2007, 11:21 AM   #4
aerisolphaln
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '05 G35 coupe 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nechronics View Post
....in the meantime tho, expect a pretty decent crippled version of the car to be available at your dealership soon

Nevermind that the crippled version is going to be priced at 60 grand, or higher - way to go BMW.

I really think this will be the M3 that virtually nobody buys because its too over priced AND it doesn't even keep up with the competition.

06/2008: M3, 335+Dinan, or ...
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2007, 11:27 AM   #5
ILC32
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1993 Porsche RSA

Yes, it is troubling to hear that at the press intro, when asked about shortcomings of the car, BMW responded by saying that a CSL was coming.

The possibility that the M3 was purposely diluted to "leave room" above it for a CSL is very disturbing.

The M3, IMHO, should be the best possible package M can put together. Performance and technology should not be held back in order to accomodate the CSL.

The CSL should be released AND DEVELOPED after the standard M3. The standard M3 should be the best that M can do now. The CSL, if it comes, should represent whatever incremental improvements M can develop one or two years hence, and should represent a no-expense spared approach to improving the standard car.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2007, 11:43 AM   #6
RussianM3_dude
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: B7 Audi RS4

IF and it's an if, the CSL would have cost the same as the M3 but would have just been a more hard tuned version a la Benz Classic/Avantgard split for the new C Class... Fine. But if the E46 CSL is anything to go by, it would be VERY expensive. Easily GT3 money. Why then not just buy a 335 AND a used GT3?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2007, 11:58 AM   #7
///Murdock
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 M5, 04 M3

they said the same thing about the e46... stop crying, buy an automatic benz
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2007, 12:00 PM   #8
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerisolphaln View Post
I really think this will be the M3 that virtually nobody buys because its too over priced AND it doesn't even keep up with the competition.
Pretty bold prediction. Not out of the realm of possibility.

But to me, the reason the new M3 was built the way it was, was to appeal to more people, not less. Did BMW blow it? Maybe so - they are not infallable, and sometimes they misread the market. But I really doubt that is what has happened here. I think the car will be a smash hit. And I don't think it will be any further behind the competition than the E46 was compared to the S4 and C32 at the time. On paper, it looks disadvantaged, but still sweeps the comparison tests.

With that I predict the opposite of what you have. I think this will be the single most successful M3 yet, sales wise.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2007, 12:11 PM   #9
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerisolphaln View Post
So in reading the new reviews that have come out in the last 24 hours, a common and recurring theme is "We can't wait for the release of the CSL, which is definitely coming and should be much better than this new M3"

I'm quite disappointed by this and am now very seriously considering other vehicles.

READING.... WHERE....? LINKS...???
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2007, 12:38 PM   #10
MI6
The World is Not Enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Aston DBS-R

This is all such crap.........everybody complaining and listening to crap without ever driving the car....

In less than a year members will be posting how unfreaking beleivable the "M" is and wondering why they ever thought otherwise.

How many cars out there have been trounced by the "Big Bad Mag Editors" and yet stealerships had no problem selling them......

Conversely, we've all seen cars that have been loved by the motoring press and yet were considered less than favorable by the public.....

The new "M" will sell very well, 60k or not. Yes, the competition's gotten better but to those who enjoy and appreciate Bimmers the new car won't disappoint- and I would take the new E90 M3 sedan in Black w/Fox Red and Piano Black trim over some overtorqued, overhyped IKEA'd interior C63 anyday....

Just my 2cnts..........
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2007, 12:43 PM   #11
The CSL
For the love of ///M3
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Peugeot 306 XSI 16v

How many times would magazines say the new M3 is disappointing? None I've ever read.
      07-07-2007, 12:54 PM   #12
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI6 View Post
In less than a year members will be posting how unfreaking beleivable the "M" is and wondering why they ever thought otherwise.

The new "M" will sell very well, 60k or not. Yes, the competition's gotten better but to those who enjoy and appreciate Bimmers the new car won't disappoint- and I would take the new E90 M3 sedan in Black w/Fox Red and Piano Black trim over some overtorqued, overhyped IKEA'd interior C63 anyday....
Well said, until we can actually drive the car ourselves we cant say for sure how great or disappointing it really is.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2007, 01:54 PM   #13
1198r
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2007 E92 M3  [0.00]
Guys, guys, guys....

In good old blighty the mags to really trust are Evo and Top Gear. Steved (who writes for EVO) on this forum said he would choose the new E92 over his CSL and Top Gear have said that they will vote the new M3 car of the year....

I cancelled my order on the Nissan GTR after I saw the M3 in the flesh earlier this year - based on the fact the car looked awesome and my gut feel told me BMW have built an awesome car. I am glad the two mags I trust and read have proved my gut feel right.

Enough said:rocks:
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2007, 02:12 PM   #14
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI6 View Post
All owners are armed to the teeth about their cars. Even if it doesn't perform as well as it should.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2007, 02:21 PM   #15
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1198r View Post
Guys, guys, guys....

In good old blighty the mags to really trust are Evo and Top Gear. Steved (who writes for EVO) on this forum said he would choose the new E92 over his CSL and Top Gear have said that they will vote the new M3 car of the year....

I cancelled my order on the Nissan GTR after I saw the M3 in the flesh earlier this year - based on the fact the car looked awesome and my gut feel told me BMW have built an awesome car. I am glad the two mags I trust and read have proved my gut feel right.

So it is, well said IMO.

The M3 must be seen as a whole package; I can tell you; there is no competition for this kind off package, it is truly a class off it`s own!

No it is not a hardcore sportscar, but was it ever? This car can be driven in all disciplines, meaning you can drive it fast if you want to, but you can also drive it in city traffic. This combination is what it did en does stand for, the most succesfull package ever made...............................
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2007, 04:09 PM   #16
The CSL
For the love of ///M3
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1198r View Post
Guys, guys, guys....

Top Gear is not a reputable motoring magazine, when compared to Autocar or Car. It's the widest circulating monthly car magazine and as such, is written to pander to the lowest common denominator.
      07-07-2007, 04:27 PM   #17
1198r
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The CSL View Post
Top Gear is not a reputable motoring magazine, when compared to Autocar or Car. It's the widest circulating monthly car magazine and as such, is written to pander to the lowest common denominator.
I dunno. I've owned Subaru STi, E46M3, Mitsubishi Evo VIII MR and their descriptions of the cars have been pretty spot on
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2007, 04:35 PM   #18
The CSL
For the love of ///M3
United Kingdom
Rep

So they may have been, but any two-bit rag will have positive reviews of universally praised cars, but it seems strange that the majority found something wrong with the new M3 and only two didn't.
      07-07-2007, 04:49 PM   #19
1198r
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The CSL View Post
So they may have been, but any two-bit rag will have positive reviews of universally praised cars, but it seems strange that the majority found something wrong with the new M3 and only two didn't.
Can't dispute that statement but it could be down to the individual drivers. For me Evo mag is the bench mark - they are real enthusiasts and excellent drivers and do tell it as it is. It's good Top Gear agree. For me the fact Steved said he would have a new M3 over his CSL was a big big plus. I have driven the CSL and it is an awesome car, so his statement really helped.

Ultimately though, the real test is when we all individually get behind the wheel for ourselves. I'm still sticking with getting one and when I do, I will certainly be honest enough to say if it's awesome, good or a dog to help others on this forum decide. Of course, what standard of driver I am would count in this opinion. Well, I raced motorbikes for a while and am a member of HPC in UK, so can have some fun in cars....

I'll keep you all posted.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2007, 04:51 PM   #20
The CSL
For the love of ///M3
United Kingdom
Rep

I'm just worried that if I was ever lucky enough to be in the position to own one, I'd test drive it and then find disappointment in it at the pace I'd take it post-test where it would obviously feel nothing short of brilliant.
      07-07-2007, 05:02 PM   #21
1198r
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 M3  [0.00]
I totally agree with you - I had those doubts also, but believe me - if its better than the CSL (and it has to be), I doubt very much we would ever get to the car's limits - or if we did, it would take some days at a track. For every day use and then to switch a button and have fun is a fantastic concept. I'm hardcore in terms of driving feel - I loved my EVO. I am hoping the M3 will just allow me to enjoy my driving and I hope I never get to the point where I think "I got this baby nailed". I hope I learn all the time.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2007, 05:18 AM   #22
The CSL
For the love of ///M3
United Kingdom
Rep

Well that's true, but it depends where you live in england and what roads are available to you. I have Dartmoor and its weird camber changes and emptiness less than 10 miles from me and if I personally was buying a £50k M3, I'd be buying it for how it made me feel out there first and foremost. I'd dearly love one without the electrics (I'd have kept a CSL without radio or A/C too) and just get the M3 in its purest possible configuration. I dearly want to love this car, but it shouldn't be surprising to the people on this board that for some, talk of it being disappointing in the fun stakes is enough to put them off a product. It feels tiring on this board at the moment to battle for the opinion that I want a car for its handling first and everything else is second. That's why I bought an E36 320i as my first car and struggle to keep petrol in the thing, when I could have bought a frugal hatchback and pootled around in it.