BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

04-01-2012, 08:50 PM   #1
kwike92
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 CP

Track day

Ok so I have NEVER driven on a track, and now that Im making more money I'm in ally being able to afford to mod my m3 (I'm 24, I'm tryin to hang with the big boys) anyway, where, how and when is the question...

-Where are the tracks?
-How much does it cost?
-Do I need anything other than me and my car to race?
-it's my only car, will this track thing affect the fact that it's my daily ?

Just need basic info..
      04-01-2012, 08:54 PM   #2
kwike92
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Finally*. Sorry for my typo
      04-01-2012, 09:08 PM   #3
Car54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M-Sport Wagon - EBII

Set aside about 30 minutes and read the stuff here: http://www.tarheelbmwcca.org/track.html

Then look here: www.motorsportreg.com for events.

Then come back and ask specific questions.

Welcome to the madness.
      04-01-2012, 09:35 PM   #4
kwike92
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
Set aside about 30 minutes and read the stuff here: http://www.tarheelbmwcca.org/track.html

Then look here: www.motorsportreg.com for events.

Then come back and ask specific questions.

Welcome to the madness.
thank u thank u... i will check these sites out right now
      04-01-2012, 11:30 PM   #5
skxf430
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Driving Miss Daisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwike92 View Post
thank u thank u... i will check these sites out right now
Look at clubs such as BMWCCA and Porsche Owners Club. Their beginner sessions are excellent with very good instructors, and you will learn to track very safely.

No, need to change anything on your car since you are in the beginning stages. As you progress, you may want to change brake fluid, pads and alignment but I would just leave the car as is for now.

Go out there learn and enjoy the experience.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 12:28 AM   #6
kwike92
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thank u thank u. I'm excited to really drive my car..
      04-02-2012, 12:35 AM   #7
tightie
JOSH SHOKRI.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3RS, 964, Raptor

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [7.90]
Come run with Speed District.

Normally 180$ for the day, includes a ton of different things.

May 4th - Big Willow
June 1 - Buttonwillow

http://speeddistrict.com/track-checklist
      04-02-2012, 04:58 AM   #8
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Here are a couple of track event organizers in SoCal. There are a few others, but these 2 host the most events.

Speed Ventures
http://www.speedventures.com/events/Default.aspx

Xtreme Speed Track Events
http://www.extremespeedtrackevents.c...e.listevents/-

Speed District events, of course, are always great.

Don't forget to bring a helmet.
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 12:02 PM   #9
swartzentruber
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Pretty good advice so far. I'd say you'll at least want a helmet, borrowing helmets gets old quick, and not every organization has helmets to lend. It's probably not strictly necessary, but switching to a racing brake fluid and possibly at least a street/track brake pad are decent ideas.

I might get differing opinions since you are a beginner, but if it's your daily, I highly recommend track insurance, unless you are absolutely certain your insurance will over it (and most national carriers won't). Lockton Affinity provides coverage for all (I think) BMW and Porsche driving schools, and others as well.

Also, make sure you have some money set aside for "track contingencies". Things happen at the track, sometime expensive things (even if you get track insurance, coverages have a $2K deductible at least). It's good to have some money set aside in case you need to fix or replace something that the dealer and/or insurance doesn't cover.

Last edited by swartzentruber; 04-02-2012 at 12:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 04:02 PM   #10
kwike92
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzentruber View Post
Pretty good advice so far. I'd say you'll at least want a helmet, borrowing helmets gets old quick, and not every organization has helmets to lend. It's probably not strictly necessary, but switching to a racing brake fluid and possibly at least a street/track brake pad are decent ideas.

I might get differing opinions since you are a beginner, but if it's your daily, I highly recommend track insurance, unless you are absolutely certain your insurance will over it (and most national carriers won't). Lockton Affinity provides coverage for all (I think) BMW and Porsche driving schools, and others as well.

Also, make sure you have some money set aside for "track contingencies". Things happen at the track, sometime expensive things (even if you get track insurance, coverages have a $2K deductible at least). It's good to have some money set aside in case you need to fix or replace something that the dealer and/or insurance doesn't cover.

i see i see, about how much does track insurance cost? and that insurance covers the whole car? so i happen to total my car, itll cover it??? obviously with the 2k deductable? and as far as brake fluid and brake pads.. any particular brands u suggest? and when im done at the track, i can just switch them out right?

forgive me for my rookieness.. lol
      04-03-2012, 01:23 PM   #11
swartzentruber
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwike92 View Post
i see i see, about how much does track insurance cost? and that insurance covers the whole car? so i happen to total my car, itll cover it??? obviously with the 2k deductable? and as far as brake fluid and brake pads.. any particular brands u suggest? and when im done at the track, i can just switch them out right?

forgive me for my rookieness.. lol
Different companies may work differently, I can speak somewhat for Lockton Affinity (which BMWCCA affiliates with), as I've purchased insurance from them (though fortunately haven't needed to use them). They price for the weekend, so same cost of 1 day vs 2 days. Cost of the policy is based on declared value. A declared value of $60k would probably cost around $200 - $300, vs I pay a little over $100 a weekend for my R32 (old and has a lot lower value). Good reason to not track an expensive car. Deductible is higher of $2K or 5% of declared value, so if you declare $60k, looking at a $3K deductible. If you total the car, then yes they'd pay out at that level of declared value minus the deductible.

Surprised no one offered pad/fluid help, though it's not hard to find some answers searching this forum. I don't track my M3, so not the best person to ask about M3 pads. I like Brembo or Motul brake fluids, though you'll likely find ATE fans on here (I'm not).
      04-03-2012, 07:53 PM   #12
kwike92
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzentruber View Post
Different companies may work differently, I can speak somewhat for Lockton Affinity (which BMWCCA affiliates with), as I've purchased insurance from them (though fortunately haven't needed to use them). They price for the weekend, so same cost of 1 day vs 2 days. Cost of the policy is based on declared value. A declared value of $60k would probably cost around $200 - $300, vs I pay a little over $100 a weekend for my R32 (old and has a lot lower value). Good reason to not track an expensive car. Deductible is higher of $2K or 5% of declared value, so if you declare $60k, looking at a $3K deductible. If you total the car, then yes they'd pay out at that level of declared value minus the deductible.

Surprised no one offered pad/fluid help, though it's not hard to find some answers searching this forum. I don't track my M3, so not the best person to ask about M3 pads. I like Brembo or Motul brake fluids, though you'll likely find ATE fans on here (I'm not).
nice, thanks for the insights.
      04-03-2012, 07:58 PM   #13
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Prepare to get hooked. They say it's not a coincidence that "track habit" rhymes with "crack habit."

I second the Porsche Club (PCA) recommendation. They welcome BMWs, their instructors are often excellent, and they tend to be cheaper than NASA, etc. Just do a search for events run by your local PCA chapter on motorsportsreg.com.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 01:36 AM   #14
skxf430
Second Lieutenant
Rep

When getting a helmet, make sure you get a SA rated helmet and not a M (motorcycle) helmet. Many good brands to choose from like Arai, Stand 21, Stilo, Bell, Sparco, etc. and you should try them at a shop to see what fits you best.

Good brake fluid would be Castrol SRF, Motul or Endless.

For brake pads, well known brands would be Endless, Performance Friction and Pagid. All very dependable and have a variety of pad compounds to choose from.

But, as I mentioned earlier, get some good track instruction and as you develop, you can change things out so you can actually tell if the modifications are helping your driving and improving your lap times.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 01:46 PM   #15
kwike92
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skxf430 View Post
When getting a helmet, make sure you get a SA rated helmet and not a M (motorcycle) helmet. Many good brands to choose from like Arai, Stand 21, Stilo, Bell, Sparco, etc. and you should try them at a shop to see what fits you best.

Good brake fluid would be Castrol SRF, Motul or Endless.

For brake pads, well known brands would be Endless, Performance Friction and Pagid. All very dependable and have a variety of pad compounds to choose from.

But, as I mentioned earlier, get some good track instruction and as you develop, you can change things out so you can actually tell if the modifications are helping your driving and improving your lap times.
im pumped... i cant wait to track my car... my other main hobby was fishing...but it seems as if with bringing on this new hobby fishing is gonna be out the door considering im gonna be spending $$$ doing this... lol.

thanks guys for all the support and info.

much appreciated.
      04-04-2012, 07:56 PM   #16
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Wow, fishing? Seems quite the polar opposite of hobbies, not talking deadliest catch shit, but man, talk about yin & yang. Enjoy the car, you're gonna love it!!!
      04-05-2012, 12:30 AM   #17
kwike92
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by klammer View Post
Wow, fishing? Seems quite the polar opposite of hobbies, not talking deadliest catch shit, but man, talk about yin & yang. Enjoy the car, you're gonna love it!!!

haha no deadliest catch shit...

bass and trout fishing, well every season has its own kind of fishing, summer ill go deep sea fishing...but any way, yes i already love the car even just looking at it parked in the garage...
      04-05-2012, 11:46 PM   #18
skxf430
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I am into fishing too. So, not that out of the ordinary!!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 03:26 PM   #19
kwike92
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skxf430 View Post
I am into fishing too. So, not that out of the ordinary!!!!
what kinda fishing do u do bro?