BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

EXXEL Distributions

07-29-2009, 01:39 AM   #45
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Topshelf, period.

Moton

All other coilovers can bow down to the Moton setup.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 06:49 AM   #46
08M3
MY 4TH M
Rep
Drives: 08M3 AW

Quote:
Any updates?
Did you finalize your ride height?
STALKER, I sent you a PM.

I finally adjusted the height recommended and the car is really street friendly. I can then adjust the rebound and compression and make it a solid track setup. I have worked with Motons before 3-ways w/remote canisters and this kit is sooooo user friendly you really don't need to be an engineer to install and adjust you just need time for setup and make sure to make plenty of notes.

I went to the track with a note book and what I did is write down base setting how the car feels during street driving (bounce, firmness, response) and then track driving. I have done that with every click/height change/tire pressure every setting and every drive what that does is lets me know what setting I feel works with my driving the next time out I will start recording lap times. seat of the pants feel doesn't matter as much as the best lap time.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 10:57 PM   #47
Nexlevmm
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SG E92 M

looks good, Let me know how low they get, i may consider grabbing these up.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 11:15 PM   #48
JC919
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08M3 View Post
STALKER, I sent you a PM.

I finally adjusted the height recommended and the car is really street friendly. I can then adjust the rebound and compression and make it a solid track setup. I have worked with Motons before 3-ways w/remote canisters and this kit is sooooo user friendly you really don't need to be an engineer to install and adjust you just need time for setup and make sure to make plenty of notes.

I went to the track with a note book and what I did is write down base setting how the car feels during street driving (bounce, firmness, response) and then track driving. I have done that with every click/height change/tire pressure every setting and every drive what that does is lets me know what setting I feel works with my driving the next time out I will start recording lap times. seat of the pants feel doesn't matter as much as the best lap time.
Thanks for the review, and please keep updating as I'm looking at this system for a future purchase.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2009, 06:25 AM   #49
08M3
MY 4TH M
Rep

I'm still working on setup I'm close just waiting for James on a couple of things, I found a nice track rim so trying to sell some off - in for sale forum - the stuff I don't need any more to get tires and want to change the seats and add a harness, I found that I slide around in the seat alot now.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2009, 12:32 PM   #50
08M3
MY 4TH M
Rep

After a world of adjustments and setting changes (some issue) I have been able to dial the suspension in. My first thought was this kit was a bit soft but it was only because of the ride height (too low) after going with the setup that was recommended by JC and the alignment setting the car felt better roll was reduced brake dive reduce I was able to adjust for rear squat on throttle. I changed over to the track wheels and tires 18x10 all around with 275 sport cups and was very quick to find out that the brakes are NOT up to spec. My braking points changed so quickly with this kit that I almost had to learn a different line, I could late brake and turn in at such a different speed I was amazed, I could throttle steer the car through the corner without fear of having the car snap steer. That could be just because of the tires but the firm planted feeling was the suspension. Turn 2 at Mosport is a VERY fast almost a guess of a left down hill turn dropping 2 or 3 stories, before the Motons with H+R's I was braking at the top of 2 to scub speed and holding on, when I would get into the bowl the car would settle/squat so hard that I was hitting the bump stops and bouncing. Again with the Motons this bouncing would not occur, judging on pre speeds before Motons in turn 8 I was braking and hitting the apex at around 90/100-110/130km (depending on how much that lap i was going to risk)and it felt unstable with the Motons I was power on at 130km driving through at 135-145(could have gone faster I think but not willing to push it)

Now the biggest plus in this is after the day was done I crawled under the car set rebound and compression at 0 and drove home with no issues or harshness. I did find out that I have alot of adjusting still to do for the car to be perfect, I NEED seats I slide around alot now that the car is more planted, The brakes are very quick to over heat now that I can brake so late but most of all this kit has allowed me to push my car well past the norm and made me understand that I need to learn the car all over again.

If their was a better kit out, it would only be the Moton CS's with different spring rates but then you lose the point of this kit, the streetable daily friendliness.

back to track in 2 weeks to see how it is on a slower tight course.

Oh and 275's do rub the front wheel area (somewhere) under heavy load I could hear and see the smoke in turn 8 and 1!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2009, 01:46 PM   #51
BarryC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Quote:
After a world of adjustments and setting changes (some issue) I have been able to dial the suspension in. My first thought was this kit was a bit soft but it was only because of the ride height (too low) after going with the setup that was recommended by JC and the alignment setting the car felt better roll was reduced brake dive reduce I was able to adjust for rear squat on throttle. I changed over to the track wheels and tires 18x10 all around with 275 sport cups and was very quick to find out that the brakes are NOT up to spec. My braking points changed so quickly with this kit that I almost had to learn a different line, I could late brake and turn in at such a different speed I was amazed, I could throttle steer the car through the corner without fear of having the car snap steer. That could be just because of the tires but the firm planted feeling was the suspension. Turn 2 at Mosport is a VERY fast almost a guess of a left down hill turn dropping 2 or 3 stories, before the Motons with H+R's I was braking at the top of 2 to scub speed and holding on, when I would get into the bowl the car would settle/squat so hard that I was hitting the bump stops and bouncing. Again with the Motons this bouncing would not occur, judging on pre speeds before Motons in turn 8 I was braking and hitting the apex at around 90/100-110/130km (depending on how much that lap i was going to risk)and it felt unstable with the Motons I was power on at 130km driving through at 135-145(could have gone faster I think but not willing to push it)

Now the biggest plus in this is after the day was done I crawled under the car set rebound and compression at 0 and drove home with no issues or harshness. I did find out that I have alot of adjusting still to do for the car to be perfect, I NEED seats I slide around alot now that the car is more planted, The brakes are very quick to over heat now that I can brake so late but most of all this kit has allowed me to push my car well past the norm and made me understand that I need to learn the car all over again.

If their was a better kit out, it would only be the Moton CS's with different spring rates but then you lose the point of this kit, the streetable daily friendliness.

Oh and 275's do rub the front wheel area (somewhere) under heavy load I could hear and see the smoke in turn 8 and 1!

Thanks for the info! Looking forward driving my car on the track this weekend! Would you mind PMing me your damper setting for the track? Also, what et is your wheel? I've got a set of TR Motorsport MT-1s with 275/35/18 Nitto NT-01s and I'm trying to see if I'm going to have a rubbing issue too.

Thanks!
Barry
      09-09-2009, 06:43 PM   #52
RickyBobby
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

You guys are making me so anxious to get mine in. I'm installing mine piece by piece after hours and should have it all ready for laguna seca next week!
08M3, I'm assuming that you're running track pads? I was hoping that my race pads would be sufficient because I don't plan to upgrade brakes! And yes my knees are still bruised from my last track day in stock form. I will not give up my heated leather so it seems that track days will become even more interesting now with the motons. Perhaps Velcro on my pants?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2009, 09:18 PM   #53
dawgdog
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2016 GT3

I do not have the driving ability to warrant such a suspension upgrade but would love to do it anyway. Thanks for sharing.
      09-09-2009, 11:16 PM   #54
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:

Thanks for the write-up.
Sounds like you need some Scroth belts and some PF pads.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2009, 11:40 PM   #55
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

It sure does look good, hope it performs just as well.
      09-10-2009, 05:56 AM   #56
08M3
MY 4TH M
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like you need some Scroth belts and some PF pads
I'm working on something now for seats and a harness and NO air bag light let you guys know what I decide, as for PF pads I want more.....
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2009, 09:25 AM   #57
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep
Drives: slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
You guys are making me so anxious to get mine in. I'm installing mine piece by piece after hours and should have it all ready for laguna seca next week!
08M3, I'm assuming that you're running track pads? I was hoping that my race pads would be sufficient because I don't plan to upgrade brakes! And yes my knees are still bruised from my last track day in stock form. I will not give up my heated leather so it seems that track days will become even more interesting now with the motons. Perhaps Velcro on my pants?
off topic -- who r u running with @ Laguna next week??
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2009, 10:07 AM   #58
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
I'm working on something now for seats and a harness and NO air bag light let you guys know what I decide, as for PF pads I want more.....
Go BIG or go home, ehh. Keep us updated on that too!!
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0