BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

01-07-2008, 10:51 AM   #23
chonko
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X6 50i/2008 X5 4.8i

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
Either way, with your knowledge about BMW's plans to build an M X6 I'd say that there is a 50/50 chance that the pictures are accurate. The other 50% being that they are the V8 TT you speak of. I'm just referencing other topics and websites and their content.

Don't shoot the messenger mate.
The X6M will come with the 5.5 litre V10- that is what I have put together from BMW source.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 07:12 PM   #24
The CSL
For the love of ///M3
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Peugeot 306 XSI 16v

Quote:
Originally Posted by chonko View Post
There is definitely an X6M in the pipeline, as for the X5-M, I don't think it is going to happen.
What shallow bastards BMW are.
      01-07-2008, 07:38 PM   #25
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep
Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
If true, about the X6M, and BMW's announcement of going after more niche markets, I am not really a fan of that move. It is the way of Mercedes.
      01-07-2008, 07:53 PM   #26
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epacy View Post
If true, about the X6M, and BMW's announcement of going after more niche markets, I am not really a fan of that move. It is the way of Mercedes.

BMW would make way more money with the X6M than a M3 CSL. Unfortunately there are so few people who would buy a M3 CSL vs. X6M. They are making the right move financially.....
      01-07-2008, 07:56 PM   #27
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

A 5300 lb SUV with a 370 ft-lb V10?

That one I do doubt quite a bit, but you never know what magic M Division could have in the works there. X6 is probably a little lighter than the X5, but still pushing about 5000lbs, so I suppose I doubt that one too.

But even if that is what is on the way, does this guy (Cosmos) honestly believe that this is the car debuting M-DCT in March? Because, almost certainly that car is the E93, and of course M-DCT will be available on the E90 and E92 also, it just happens to be shown first on the E93.

As for the M3 CSL not being built at all, well that one is more believeable but I suspect we'll see one eventually.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 08:11 PM   #28
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
A 5300 lb SUV with a 370 ft-lb V10?

That one I do doubt quite a bit, but you never know what magic M Division could have in the works there. X6 is probably a little lighter than the X5, but still pushing about 5000lbs, so I suppose I doubt that one too.

But even if that is what is on the way, does this guy (Cosmos) honestly believe that this is the car debuting M-DCT in March? Because, almost certainly that car is the E93, and of course M-DCT will be available on the E90 and E92 also, it just happens to be shown first on the E93.

As for the M3 CSL not being built at all, well that one is more believeable but I suspect we'll see one eventually.

They may be rejigging the V10 for more torque down low.....but hey if you can get a truck to do 8:20, that is better than most cars!

I think on the M5board thread, the speculation cumulated to be the E93 would be the first instance of M DCT on the M3 with the E90 / E92 at some point.
      01-07-2008, 08:18 PM   #29
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep
Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
BMW would make way more money with the X6M than a M3 CSL. Unfortunately there are so few people who would buy a M3 CSL vs. X6M. They are making the right move financially.....
Yes, people buy the AMG versions of the M class. Now I have seen one in person and it was SIC! It was black and just soooo slick.
It just seems like a waste. Those vehicles are more about status than using the provided equipment. That is a Merc thing. That has never been what BMW was about. If they produce a similar type/configuration, then they are treading into the status only realm. Not the pure performance they, BMW-M, are known for. Hence, why they don't do a M version of the 7 series.
      01-07-2008, 08:21 PM   #30
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epacy View Post
Yes, people buy the AMG versions of the M class. Now I have seen one in person and it was SIC! It was black and just soooo slick.
It just seems like a waste. Those vehicles are more about status than using the provided equipment. That is a Merc thing. That has never been what BMW was about. If they produce a similar type/configuration, then they are treading into the status only realm. Not the pure performance they, BMW-M, are known for. Hence, why they don't do a M version of the 7 series.

I have some faith in BMW that they won't pollute their brand. It will be whether the engineers can deliver on "M" performance. Obviously we don't know the metrics they will use but I have faith that if it doesn't perform like an "M" then it won't get the badge.

BMW have been very faithful here, unlike Audi / MB.
      01-08-2008, 01:54 AM   #31
MI6
The World is Not Enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Aston DBS-R

I think Cosmos is more than likely mistaken regarding the E92 CSL. Especially if that info is coming from a supposed BMW NA "M" brand manager.

We have already seen spy shots (posted many times) of a Melbourne Red CSL prototype and Gerhard has already stated repeatedly that an E92 CSL will be made so I see no reason why it would not.

We shall see........
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 02:06 AM   #32
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36jakeo View Post
As a sidenote, did you see how big those front wheels were on the red CSL? I'm definitely thinking Carbon Ceramic brakes on that puppy.
I wouldn't count on that. BMW brakes are IMHO simple and effective for all but the most severe track work. Since BMW will not be using Brembo on the E9X M3 (could be a 2009+ change to options though) the next change we will see will be Brembo calipers on some other BMW models (in conservative BMW colors - meaning silver/black probabaly - and this is straight from the article about the new supplier agreement). Their floating aluminum hat rotors are already pretty trick. Knowing that they don't spend an absolute fortune on their brakes, carbon ceramic rotors almost for sure not going to be on the CSL.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 02:14 AM   #33
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI6 View Post
I think Cosmos is more than likely mistaken regarding the E92 CSL. Especially if that info is coming from a supposed BMW NA "M" brand manager.

We have already seen spy shots (posted many times) of a Melbourne Red CSL prototype and Gerhard has already stated repeatedly that an E92 CSL will be made so I see no reason why it would not.

We shall see........
+1. Direct comments like "their will always be a M3 CSL" or something like that is what Gerhard said. There will be an M3 CSL and the red mule was very likely a CSL mule.

As far as the M SUV thing I agree with T-bone. M can build an SUV worthy of the M badge. Again it will have power and class/status like the AMG SUVs but is will also have excellent (class leading in fact) handling for an SUV. I'm not sure how many Porsche Cayenne's (and the pricey Cayenne Ss and Turbos)and AMG SUVs are packed on to the streets of the rest of the country, but they are a lot more plentiful than M3s around So Cal. There is a significant financial gain to be made here, BMW is growing and this is a totally obvious growth path. It will happen. I'dnever buy one as many here on the forum wouldn't either but it will happen.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 05:39 AM   #34
lakerfan007
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by The CSL View Post
Get my facts straight? You don't even have a source to show me? Besides, the spy shots I've just seen of a supposed X5-M could be nothing more than a successor to the X5 4.8is. It also has the front bumper from the X6, so could have been a cooling mule. I'll quite happily eat my words when I see it, for sale. By then, M will be worth nothing, regardless of how good they make it. It's still an SUV.
I'm with you on this, the X5 with the "M modifications" could just have been the next generation of X5's with the 4.4TT that the X6 XDrive5.0 has. There is no reason for M to divert from their plans and build an "M" X5 or even X6, they know the people who like the "M" niche in the market and selling out to build X5M's just isn't something they'd do.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 05:47 AM   #35
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
I think if there is to a SUV with an M badge on it the car will be an X6 and not the X5.

I also think it will not go down the N/A engine route as for such a heavy machine the engine size would need to be bigger than they currently have in an M model. I reckon we may see the first M car to be running a twin-turbo unit under the hood.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 12:43 AM   #36
e36jakeo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 6 Speed MT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
I wouldn't count on that. BMW brakes are IMHO simple and effective for all but the most severe track work. Since BMW will not be using Brembo on the E9X M3 (could be a 2009+ change to options though) the next change we will see will be Brembo calipers on some other BMW models (in conservative BMW colors - meaning silver/black probabaly - and this is straight from the article about the new supplier agreement). Their floating aluminum hat rotors are already pretty trick. Knowing that they don't spend an absolute fortune on their brakes, carbon ceramic rotors almost for sure not going to be on the CSL.
If BMW targets the GT3 as their main competitor (and prices the car at near $100K US) ZR1 will have the CC brakes).

I agree the floating aluminum hat rotors are very nice. I have the Euro-E36 M3 floating rotors on my M3 (that is a pure track car) and, with some Performance Friction 01 track pads, they work incredibly well. BMW does a great job with single piston brakes - I think it is more the fad factor driving them to put the 6-piston Brembos on the 1-series (although they may be slightly better than the brakes on the 335i and perhaps as good as the M3's brakes).