BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

05-17-2017, 09:33 AM   #1
R5169
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Unhappy idrive not accepting FSC code on Map Update

I've spent weeks googling this and for the life of me cannot find a single other person who has experienced or talked about this problem online.

I've got a 2009 CIC Premium Navigation e90 M3 that has the latest i-level installed back in 2010 and I bought the maps and FSC code through a supplier here (very reputable and has been very helpful).

When I plug the USB into the glovebox slot, it brings up the FSC code request, I enter the code (have tried 4 other codes through the supplier) and every single time it says "error!" - no other explanation.

After talking with the supplier for a week now, he's of the opinion that theres 2 possible issues here:

1) there is a glitch or bug with some of the i-level updates back when it was originally done and a complete refresh/re-install of that software using MOST Bus Fiber Optic Interface would fix it and allow the idrive to accept the FSC code & maps.

2) my idrive unit is not original to the car and therefor the VIN I provided.

To my understanding and the original owners, the car has never had its idrive replaced. If this is the case then it happened before delivery of the car back when new which I highly doubt happened.

So that leaves me with the only option of getting an i-level update for a 'glitch' that I cannot find not one single mention of on the internet, nor has any mechanic ever heard of.

This is a $185 job, so before I try throw good money after bad I thought I'd ask on here first - does this problem sound familiar to anyone??

Cheers,
R
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 10:44 AM   #2
Dtype
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by R5169 View Post
I've spent weeks googling this and for the life of me cannot find a single other person who has experienced or talked about this problem online.

I've got a 2009 CIC Premium Navigation e90 M3 that has the latest i-level installed back in 2010 and I bought the maps and FSC code through a supplier here (very reputable and has been very helpful).

When I plug the USB into the glovebox slot, it brings up the FSC code request, I enter the code (have tried 4 other codes through the supplier) and every single time it says "error!" - no other explanation.

After talking with the supplier for a week now, he's of the opinion that theres 2 possible issues here:

1) there is a glitch or bug with some of the i-level updates back when it was originally done and a complete refresh/re-install of that software using MOST Bus Fiber Optic Interface would fix it and allow the idrive to accept the FSC code & maps.

To my understanding and the original owners, the car has never had its idrive replaced. If this is the case then it happened before delivery of the car back when new which I highly doubt happened.

So that leaves me with the only option of getting an i-level update for a 'glitch' that I cannot find not one single mention of on the internet, nor has any mechanic ever heard of.

This is a $185 job, so before I try throw good money after bad I thought I'd ask on here first - does this problem sound familiar to anyone??

Cheers,
R
Can you confirm CIC vin?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 11:02 AM   #3
R5169
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtype View Post
Can you confirm CIC vin?
Not at the moment, I'd need to go to a dealer or a person with access to Tool32 or something like that. Unless there is an easier way to check it?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 02:33 PM   #4
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / F30

Quote:
Not at the moment, I'd need to go to a dealer or a person with access to Tool32 or something like that. Unless there is an easier way to check it?
I could've helped you out, but I'm leaving the city today until Saturday. I have a genuine ICOM NEXT A with me that maybe I could generate FSC's for you.

Updating the CIC will require MOST adapter as well and car hooked up to a power supply at 14V, plus an hr or so
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 02:51 PM   #5
Flamesofgold
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:

Cheers,
R
I had a similar issue when I tried to update my 2010 map to 2015. Check firmware of the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 03:00 PM   #6
R5169
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesofgold View Post
I had a similar issue when I tried to update my 2010 map to 2015. Check firmware of the car.
did you end up re-installing the firmware and fix it or just not bother?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 07:04 PM   #7
Flamesofgold
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesofgold View Post
did you end up re-installing the firmware and fix it or just not bother?
I took it to a shop that was affiliated with bimmertech
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 02:59 AM   #8
ccfj1
Tinkerer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 M-Sport

I'd be tempted to pull the 1b code out of the cic using the browser method and this would confirm the fsc enabler code in the cic itself (you can generate your our fsc active code from this too).

You could at the very least confirm the code you have bought is the one the car is expecting.

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 11:17 AM   #9
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
It's either the firmware, or the Cic is not original to the car and the Cic vin is different, only two possible explanations.

Updating firmware will solve the issue if the navi is the proper one that came with the car.

I can send you a cable to pull the Cic vin and 1B certificate, but chances are it's just a bug. Have seen this only a couple times and firmware update has resolved issue.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 12:40 AM   #10
haparide
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

Similar issue

Not jacking (related tho) the thread but I have a similar issue. 2010 e90 but CIC says 2009. anyway I get passed the FSC code portion but when updating I get an error on the last thumb drive.

I've also tried the dvd method and I get the same hang up on cd 3. A local SD Bimmer Shop supposedly updated my CIC. ut not sure if I can tell if he really did update the CIC firmware. (I told him specifically not to touch my BPM dME!)

Any thoughts or ideas would be much appreciated as I have old old old maps and San Diego has a fair amount of new streets. Thanks... And Yes, my stage DOS BPM tune is ridiculously awesome!
Appreciate 0