BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

European Auto Source (EAS)

06-16-2012, 10:04 AM   #1
flip
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

Unwashable dirt on wheel after new tire shine?

So I went to wash my car last Sunday as usual and when I got to my wheels I noticed this weird film that had seemed to kind of bake into my wheels near the tires and I could not wash it off. If I rubbed extremely hard for some time it would do a little bit of good but its still very difficult to get off.

In the past, my wheels have been extremely easy to clean. All of the dirt would just wipe off in one swipe. I wash my car every week and run stock brakes so that is to be expected...

I started thinking what might have changed and the only thing is the tire shine that I'm using. The week before last, I started using the Meguiars Endurance instead of the Meguiars Hot Shine.

Has anyone had any experience with this same issue? Should I simply be more careful when applying the Endurance type tire shine? Should I switch back to my old tire shine?

How might I get this grime off my wheels?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 10:09 AM   #2
bretster
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip View Post
So I went to wash my car last Sunday as usual and when I got to my wheels I noticed this weird film that had seemed to kind of bake into my wheels near the tires and I could not wash it off. If I rubbed extremely hard for some time it would do a little bit of good but its still very difficult to get off.

In the past, my wheels have been extremely easy to clean. All of the dirt would just wipe off in one swipe. I wash my car every week and run stock brakes so that is to be expected...

I started thinking what might have changed and the only thing is the tire shine that I'm using. The week before last, I started using the Meguiars Endurance instead of the Meguiars Hot Shine.

Has anyone had any experience with this same issue? Should I simply be more careful when applying the Endurance type tire shine? Should I switch back to my old tire shine?

How might I get this grime off my wheels?
It looks like dried on tire shine.

Try using all purpose cleaner to strip it, following with a wheel cleaner and agitate it with a brush. Best of luck bro!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 10:32 AM   #3
flip
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Any reason my old tire shine didn't do this? Should I just be more careful when applying this tire shine to not get it on the wheel at all? If so, not sure if its' worth it. The hot shine, I could simply spray on, not worry about overspray on the wheel, let it dry and go. No problems like this afterwards...

I'll definitely try your suggestion for cleaning. I tried a wheel cleaner and it didn't seem to do much so I'll try the all purpose cleaner or something. Maybe simple green?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
I don't like tire shine for this reason, it leaves a mess. Not only that, unless you don't drive the car for a while after, the wheels just sling the greasy stuff all over the sides of the car.

Best way to apply tire wet or shine stuff is to put it on an applicator pad and apply it to the tire. Don't spray it on the tire directly. If you do it in coatings after letting them dry, it tends to wet the tire a little better and make it look pretty nice.

Tire shine, IMO, is good for showroom cars and garage queens, but not very practical for driving.

As for getting that off, SONAX will probably do the trick.
      06-16-2012, 01:00 PM   #5
Martin_D
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ford Super Duty

Gel tire shine will do this...

Grab a MF towel and rub the tire until it is all gone...
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 01:03 PM   #6
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Use a good cleaner/wax that will take that off
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 03:05 PM   #7
flip
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
I don't like tire shine for this reason, it leaves a mess. Not only that, unless you don't drive the car for a while after, the wheels just sling the greasy stuff all over the sides of the car.

Best way to apply tire wet or shine stuff is to put it on an applicator pad and apply it to the tire. Don't spray it on the tire directly. If you do it in coatings after letting them dry, it tends to wet the tire a little better and make it look pretty nice.

Tire shine, IMO, is good for showroom cars and garage queens, but not very practical for driving.

As for getting that off, SONAX will probably do the trick.
I never drive the car right after tire shine, I've learned...

I did use an applicator but I think I sprayed it on the tire directly then used the applicator to rub it in. I'll try spraying directly on the applicator and will just be more careful from now on. My car is not a show car but I do like the tire shine look so I'm gonna keep it up...

I'm going to order some Sonax. I'm all about Ph balanced cleaners...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_D View Post
Gel tire shine will do this...

Grab a MF towel and rub the tire until it is all gone...
Now I know! I'll try a MF towel until the Sonax gets here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
Use a good cleaner/wax that will take that off
Might try wax with the MF towel...

Thanks for all the suggestions!!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 08:39 AM   #8
AutoCon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Toyota Tacoma X-Runner

I use a low duty solvent to remove this kind of stuff, try Tarminator which is available at most auto part stores. After you remove the old dressing a fine polish by hand and wax or sealant will have you good as new.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 12:02 PM   #9
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flip View Post
I never drive the car right after tire shine, I've learned...

I did use an applicator but I think I sprayed it on the tire directly then used the applicator to rub it in. I'll try spraying directly on the applicator and will just be more careful from now on. My car is not a show car but I do like the tire shine look so I'm gonna keep it up...

I'm going to order some Sonax. I'm all about Ph balanced cleaners...
I feel ya. I used to try the same thing, but I was just unhappy with what happened afterwards. I just bought some of those cheapo MF applicator pads from Autozone, spray some Auto Finesse Tyre Dressing on it, then rub it on. Wait for a while to let it set, then do it again. Seems to make them pretty wet looking. They don't get as shiny as they would when you spray it directly on, but you avoid the whole mess it creates.