BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

06-05-2011, 10:51 PM   #23
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4ces View Post
Usurbrainm3 Innotech setup has me all messed up now. I even pm'd Rimier. That is one step closer to insanity.

Well now I have to our through the threads to gather the skinny on Innotech. The cost is close the BMW performance and it appears from you tube videos that it sounds fairly similar.
It does remind me a lot of the BMW performance exhaust. It's similar in volume if you do just the catback, too. Probably on par or quieter with the valve closed and a bit louder with it open. Similar tone, as well.

With the full exhaust, it's a little louder with it closed (similar inside the car, but louder outside) and a bit raspier. With the valve open, it's REALLY LOUD, like wake the neighboring STATE loud.

But, I sold my Performance exhaust to go for an Innotech. With the stock secondaries and the turner test pipes, it's just about perfect on my car. It's a lot heavier, though, although I can't see 20 lbs making any difference at all.

DSC_3369 by Kit W, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 11:16 PM   #24
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' YMB/Blk F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Flat black paint is going to hide the best, which is what I want in an exhaust, but you can buy black high-temp paint at least in flat and semi-gloss. A matter of personal preference. And if I said 'identical', I meant color not sheen .

The exhaust sounds great, and by painting it black you eliminated 80% of the reason why people don't buy it (awful looks), so you'll sell it soon. I'm very sensitive to drone, and I use the car primarily to travel, so it's a big deal to me. Otherwise I'd have one by now. Sounds really good IMO. But it's loud . No complaints from the neighbors? Take care.

Hmm...you have said twice now that I will soon be selling this exhaust...either you are a stranger who somehow completely knows my whimsical and senseless nature, or you are my wife posing as someone from TX!...

I will assume you are referring to the drone which will eventually drive me to insanity and I will give away all my worldly possessions to people I dont know....
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 11:20 PM   #25
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Usurbrainm3 Innotech setup has me all messed up now. I even pm'd Rimier. That is one step closer to insanity.

Well now I have to our through the threads to gather the skinny on Innotech. The cost is close the BMW performance and it appears from you tube videos that it sounds fairly similar.

Hmm...the Innotech huh?...and you seemed like such a sensible person earlier today......just kiddin ya...the Innotech does sound great...I like the Inno cause you can close the valves but if they were permanently open, I think it would be way too loud for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 12:04 AM   #26
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mact3333 View Post
Hmm...you have said twice now that I will soon be selling this exhaust
And do you know why you haven't sold it? You didn't post a price . Not my fault . OR did I miss it? Didn't see a price anywhere on your first post or title (where it should be). Good luck man.

Last edited by JCtx; 06-06-2011 at 12:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 12:11 AM   #27
Brucewonder
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 yea boi

looking good, need a rear diffuser to finish off the look.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 12:35 AM   #28
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Hmm...the Innotech huh?...and you seemed like such a sensible person earlier today......just kiddin ya...the Innotech does sound great...I like the Inno cause you can close the valves but if they were permanently open, I think it would be way too loud for me.
I had to deal with my sensibilities when I purchased this gas guzzler . Now you got me thinking, I'll put that money into a mutual fund, stock or something sensible. SIKE!

As far as loudness, sure I want to keep it tasteful and the Innotech catback won't be obnoxious.

My car is loud and noisy stock. All I hear is wind and road noise, no exhaust, just wind and road friends. It is most apparent to me when I ride in my wifes 530i. Now that is quiet :-)
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 10:24 PM   #29
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep

took a video with camera mount inside the car...much more quiet from the inside...barely louder than stock from inside at cruising speeds.

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 08:35 PM   #30
dbyrd
DSC Off!
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 6MT ZCP

Man, you've inspired me! I don't have a problem with the appearance of the Corsa, but the black looks great. Did you consider matte black?

I love my Corsa and I experience absolutely no drone. This may have to do with transmission as I have 6MT.
MCS 1WNR with 600/900 spring rates / Vorshlag camber plates / Apex ARC-8s with MSI studs / Stoptech Trophy ST-60/ST-40 / Cantrell Motorsports Brake Duct Kit / Cobalt Friction XR1, XR2s or PFC-11 pads / UUC Corsa axle-back with Fabspeed HFC and x-pipe / Schroth Quick Fit Pros / HANS Sport II / AA green filter / Coolshirt with large bag / Aim SoloDL with SmartyCam / CSF Radiator
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 10:11 PM   #31
roy@acuteperformance
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M4 6MT

Exhaust looks much better ceramic coated black! The Corsa is one sick sounding exhaust
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 10:35 PM   #32
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
That thing sounds awesome, it just looks like the exact opposite - hideous. The ceramic coating does hide that ugliness pretty well.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 10:18 AM   #33
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbyrd View Post
Man, you've inspired me! I don't have a problem with the appearance of the Corsa, but the black looks great. Did you consider matte black?

I love my Corsa and I experience absolutely no drone. This may have to do with transmission as I have 6MT.

The cans are in satin black which is a dull black...tips are semi-gloss black...but in reality, hard to tell the difference.

Not sure if 6MT would cause less drone as Kitw has DCT and he noted no drone...but as noted before, my drone is modest and at 3000-3300 rpm's...no big deal really.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 10:22 AM   #34
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
That thing sounds awesome, it just looks like the exact opposite - hideous. The ceramic coating does hide that ugliness pretty well.

I talked to Corsa once and told them they would sell alot more exhausts for the M3 if it wasnt so ugly...he seemed a little perplexed...I told them 83mm tips are needed and the cans need to go up and not hang down as much so its not as visible...also said the welds are gross looking....they should chrome it after welding.

He said they would keep in this in mind for next time.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 12:02 AM   #35
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitw View Post
Quote:

It does remind me a lot of the BMW performance exhaust. It's similar in volume if you do just the catback, too. Probably on par or quieter with the valve closed and a bit louder with it open. Similar tone, as well.

With the full exhaust, it's a little louder with it closed (similar inside the car, but louder outside) and a bit raspier. With the valve open, it's REALLY LOUD, like wake the neighboring STATE loud.

But, I sold my Performance exhaust to go for an Innotech. With the stock secondaries and the turner test pipes, it's just about perfect on my car. It's a lot heavier, though, although I can't see 20 lbs making any difference at all.
Here is a sound I like from the M performance exhaust but may not be noticeable from an in cabin experience. This robotrenegade video at http://youtu.be/V5eRphD4hBo. Listen to position 1:07 where the two sounds become distinct. I did not notice it in other M performance videos.

Have you noticed similar characteristics from other mufflers.

Such timbres were not apparent in Mact333's UUC.

Another sound I like is the pops/spits which are probably pronounced with catless mods. ???
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 09:52 AM   #36
Muffnbluff
Redline Addict
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW 335 xdrive

Does anyone have any pictures of this exhaust with a type II diffuser in the back? I wonder how well the diffuser would hide the canisters.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 10:27 AM   #37
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffnbluff View Post
Does anyone have any pictures of this exhaust with a type II diffuser in the back? I wonder how well the diffuser would hide the canisters.

Look at my last pic....the camera was 12 inches off of the ground when I took it...you will not notice the canisters if painted black...now if you want a diffuser just for looks thats great but dont think you need it to hide the canisters.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 10:50 AM   #38
Muffnbluff
Redline Addict
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW 335 xdrive

Quote:
Look at my last pic....the camera was 12 inches off of the ground when I took it...you will not notice the canisters if painted black...now if you want a diffuser just for looks thats great but dont think you need it to hide the canisters.
I do like the looks of a diffuser on this car, I think part of it is that it helps the tips stand out on their own from the mufflers.
Appreciate 0