BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

11-07-2014, 07:06 PM   #1
aznclickster
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M

Garage List
  [0.00]
Repair or Total?

Long story short: My insurance wants to Total my car, but At fault insurer wants to repair. What do you guys think?

11-07-2014, 07:10 PM   #2
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

It's up to you... your car will be worth less even if the repair is perfect. But if you really like the car, plan to keep it for a long time and don't care about your car being worth less, you can fix it and drive it.

If you total it, you get a check for the car and you can go buy another one which may be in better condition.
      11-07-2014, 07:18 PM   #3
m3ray
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '09 e92 M3

Total. All the way.

Crash like that is like an onion. Once you start to peel back the layers you'll see what you are dealing with and it will make you cry.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 08:03 PM   #4
quicktwinturbo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Limited Ed Toyota Camry

Glad you are OK.. I think the car is totaled...I wouldn't fix it.. Let me know if you want to sell me ur rear tow hook cover
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 08:17 PM   #5
induscyka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335

That's not bad at all....body work and some suspension components and a new wheel....there is no real damage here
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 08:20 PM   #6
m3ray
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by induscyka View Post
That's not bad at all....body work and some suspension components and a new wheel....there is no real damage here
Lol, a t-bone and broken control arm is no real damage?

The only way to know is when you strip the front end. Dollars to donuts the subframe is shot, the steering rack and probably the right side frame rail. That by itself is close to $8K in parts and labor. That's before you even get to body panels and paint, and of course see what else is broken underneath.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 08:30 PM   #7
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3ray View Post
Lol, a t-bone and broken control arm is no real damage?

The only way to know is when you strip the front end. Dollars to donuts the subframe is shot, the steering rack and probably the right side frame rail. That by itself is close to $8K in parts and labor. That's before you even get to body panels and paint, and of course see what else is broken underneath.
So he's says its not too bad and then you say that there's no way to tell unless you take it apart but now you're listing what it needs? lol people here are funny. And yes this doesn't look like too bad a hit but the salvage will be the kicker. The if the car is in fact a comp package car based on the wheels alone and a newer model than its probably a fixable car. Ops insurance doesn't want to be married to the repairs due to it being an expensive car to begin with and I get that.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 08:32 PM   #8
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep

And yes that loss appears more cosmetic from photos alone and the balljoint will break like that upon impact. Doesn't mean it was a super hard hit. The rt upper rail looks ok, but again the car needs an in person appraisal versus the experts here.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 08:33 PM   #9
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep

I will also bet that car doesn't need a rack or subframe
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 08:45 PM   #10
Konig
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: _

Hard to tell from the photos (though you did a good job of providing them). The bodyside, door, fender, fascia all need serious work - front suspension as well obviously. The real question is how much you got into the body structure on either side of the door, as well as the chassis subframes and their mounting points. Did the airbags deploy?

In any case that's a lot of damage - I'd be crossing my fingers they total it. Best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 08:51 PM   #11
m3ray
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90 View Post
So he's says its not too bad and then you say that there's no way to tell unless you take it apart but now you're listing what it needs? lol people here are funny. And yes this doesn't look like too bad a hit but the salvage will be the kicker. The if the car is in fact a comp package car based on the wheels alone and a newer model than its probably a fixable car. Ops insurance doesn't want to be married to the repairs due to it being an expensive car to begin with and I get that.
You have eyes don't you? Can't you see the broken control arm? The t-bone damage? Logic will then tell you the steering rack and subframe is also compromised. You're right about one thing. People here are funny.

Trying to wish a car not to be totalled, when it should be totalled makes no sense.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 08:53 PM   #12
m3ray
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I will also bet that car doesn't need a rack or subframe
Wrong. If you have ever fixed a BMW through a BMW approved shop, (I have) you would know that the steering rack MUST be replaced. It's a safety issue. If you fix the car through some fly by night shop then you can do whatever you want I guess.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 08:54 PM   #13
induscyka
Private First Class
Rep

They may or may not total it. it's a toss up.....I own an auto repair and collision shop. I'm just giving my professional opinion lol
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 08:57 PM   #14
induscyka
Private First Class
Rep

Insurance companies these days can and will use aftermarket parts , I've even seen used when new can't be stocked for reasonable price. If the subframe is compromised, they will definitely quote out a new one though - I already tried finding a used one before, it's nearly impossible since its specific to manual or DCT. My opinion is that it's body work, control arms, axle, wheel, tire, etc but not subframe. Rack, maybe. They sometime just quote out tie rods believe it or not
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 09:05 PM   #15
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Wrong. If you have ever fixed a BMW through a BMW approved shop, (I have) you would know that the steering rack MUST be replaced. It's a safety issue. If you fix the car through some fly by night shop then you can do whatever you want I guess.
Again depends on impact. Racks don't always require replacement. Did you work at a shop or just have work done? And a hard impact to the wheel may warrant a rack but again this doesn't look too bad (just from pics)

And if you want to compare resumes, I worked at one of the highest volume BMW repair facilities in the northeast. I'm also ppg, chief certified and a high end appraiser. The point was that it's hard to estimate from pics alone.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 09:07 PM   #16
m3ray
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Something to consider is if the car is leased or financed he can't use any aftermarket parts.

I went through a similar wreck and it was right on the margin of being totalled but they ended up repairing it. They used all BMW parts and it was a small fortune.

At this point I hope the OP does fix it. I am intently curious to see what he has going on there and what they quote him.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 09:08 PM   #17
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
You have eyes don't you? Can't you see the broken control arm? The t-bone damage? Logic will then tell you the steering rack and subframe is also compromised. You're right about one thing. People here are funny.

Trying to wish a car not to be totalled, when it should be totalled makes no sense.
We also don't call this a t bone as much as a sideswipe. Keep in mind the balljoint is a weak link in impact. Odds are the insurance company will replace the tie rods and control arm and try and align the car and hope for the best anyways.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 09:12 PM   #18
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep

Third party can't use aftermarket parts on his repairs and they are slim pickings cause it's an m3. Same with used parts.

Good luck op whatever happens! At least you're ok
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 11:06 PM   #19
aznclickster
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Something to consider is if the car is leased or financed he can't use any aftermarket parts.

I went through a similar wreck and it was right on the margin of being totalled but they ended up repairing it. They used all BMW parts and it was a small fortune.

At this point I hope the OP does fix it. I am intently curious to see what he has going on there and what they quote him.
at fault insurance quoted 23k from visual only (bent subframe bolt tossed around too from body shop). here is the driver side rim that hit concrete median:

Quote:
Third party can't use aftermarket parts on his repairs and they are slim pickings cause it's an m3. Same with used parts.

Good luck op whatever happens! At least you're ok
Thanks!
      11-07-2014, 11:19 PM   #20
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I would look carefully at the suspension mounting points before making a decision. If they are damaged, total it. If it's just body work, your call.
      11-07-2014, 11:59 PM   #21
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznclickster View Post
at fault insurance quoted 23k from visual only (bent subframe bolt tossed around too from body shop). here is the driver side rim that hit concrete median:

Thanks!
Wow. That was def a good hit then. In that case they may total it and you'll feel better and just get another!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 12:00 AM   #22
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
I would look carefully at the suspension mounting points before making a decision. If they are damaged, total it. If it's just body work, your call.
True. I have confidence in a Lot of work but still am leery of major suspension mount ares when damaged
Appreciate 0