BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

12-21-2012, 08:33 AM   #45
bimdo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBeast View Post
bmw has approved a new transmission. they say it is coming from florida, so it should be here around xmas and then I probably wont have my car until the end of next week. Is there anything I should check when I pick it up? This all makes me nervous having a transmission go bad after 28k. Will this happen every 30k?
when i got a new transmission on warranty i followed the manual's break-in period for a new or replaced one-not exceeding 5500 rpm for the first 300 miles.then,at the tech's recommendation,i did a break-in trans fluid change at 1200 miles,at my expense.the new one works great.1-2 is still a bit tricky,but much better than before.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 10:05 AM   #46
Mmmm3333
Rep
Drives: E90 m3

A few suggestions

Part of the challenge in shifting the m3 is that the engine is a very free spinning engine which means the revs drop quickly upon the clutch engagement. I find it smoother to "pop" the clutch as the revs are dropping (not after it has dropped). So my suggestions are:

- release the clutch quickly
- from first to second, pull the lever down straight and not towards the driver. Using light pressure helps here....just guide it down
- when starting on a level road or downhill (and not in a terrible hurry), just start in second gear. Once you master the start, it's much smoother and no first-second shift to worry about
Appreciate 0