BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

03-02-2011, 01:46 PM   #23
mr_yogi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Success

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_of_Persia View Post
I found EXACTLY the options I wanted on a CPO one and saved around $40K. have warranty until 2015 as well. I don't think it can get better than that. I am not saying it is easy to find the options you look for in a CPO/used M3s, but it can happen!

2 things:

1) You're a lucky man that you found EXACTLY what you're looking for in a CPO. That is a rarity indeed!

2) You mentioned that you saved $40k. The OP says that the cost is not a concern, therefore saving $40k theoretically doesn't make a difference to him.

However, as stated above, it's also a rarity that someone does this kind of comparo. Usually price is a considerable lever...
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 01:57 PM   #24
Navin323i
Europrojektz East
United_States
Rep
Drives: See my Sig

I was battling this same dilemma about a week ago before I returned back to our site here after a two year absence. My wife convinced me to go with a new one for the following reasons:

1) Going new will ensure I'm the only owner to own this car from the beginning so I'll be able to guarantee that the car is taken care of properly.

2) I too plan on financing this car and I like the idea of getting a full 4 years of maintenance warranty from BMW versus possibly less number of years/miles if I go used.

3) Going new ensures that my wife and I will be able to do some wonderful husband/wife bonding at the Performance Delivery Center in South Carolina to pick up the new M3 together.

I bought my current 323i sedan new as well back in 2000... nothing beats that new car feeling when you first buy that car and start driving it.

Navin

BMW Individual Atlantis Metallic Twin Screw S/C'ed 5spd 2000 323i
SPONSORED BY: BBS | Toyo Tires | DPE | WheelSTO | Vorsteiner | European Auto Source | Bimmertools | GetBMWParts | Race Apeel
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 02:17 PM   #25
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 6MT E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin323i View Post
I was battling this same dilemma about a week ago before I returned back to our site here after a two year absence. My wife convinced me to go with a new one for the following reasons:

1) Going new will ensure I'm the only owner to own this car from the beginning so I'll be able to guarantee that the car is taken care of properly.

2) I too plan on financing this car and I like the idea of getting a full 4 years of maintenance warranty from BMW versus possibly less number of years/miles if I go used.

3) Going new ensures that my wife and I will be able to do some wonderful husband/wife bonding at the Performance Delivery Center in South Carolina to pick up the new M3 together.

I bought my current 323i sedan new as well back in 2000... nothing beats that new car feeling when you first buy that car and start driving it.

Navin
Just one thing about your second point: if you decide to get a CPO, you usually end up having more warranty at the end (2 year or 80K KM extra warranty).

But definitely it is a personal opinion.

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 03:09 PM   #26
piloto
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 - AW/FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by phyek View Post

I plan to keep the car for 4-5 years and possibly for longer time and at that point will purchase a second car. Mileage, this is hard to predict but I'd say somewhere around ~10k/yr.
Then a CPO is probably a great option for you.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 04:34 PM   #27
Nautik
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW M3 DCT

A little off topic but what is the best way to shop for CPO M3s?
      03-02-2011, 04:37 PM   #28
mr_yogi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Success

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautik View Post
A little off topic but what is the best way to shop for CPO M3s?
Visit the dealer websites

Also - Navin - definitely agree on your points (and the wife def agrees on #3)
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 05:05 PM   #29
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 SSII

Is the CPO warranty the same coverage as the original manufacturers warranty or is it more like the 2OP (original owners protection plan) extended warranty?

I found the 2OP warranty to be full of holes and wasn't impressed with it. If the CPO warranty is like this I'd lean even more heavily towards buying new.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 05:16 PM   #30
piloto
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 - AW/FR

^ read up on BMW's website about the CPO warranty. I found it to be less than ideal, but that's just my opinion. It wasn't as solid a warranty as I was hoping for it to be. It seems that certain electrical items, including iDrive are not covered in many respects, or not at all. It's not bad I suppose, but certainly wasn't as solid as what some other CPO warranties (e.g. Volvo, Cadilliac, Audi, VW and Lexus).
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 05:56 PM   #31
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 SSII

Quote:
Originally Posted by piloto View Post
^ read up on BMW's website about the CPO warranty. I found it to be less than ideal, but that's just my opinion. It wasn't as solid a warranty as I was hoping for it to be. It seems that certain electrical items, including iDrive are not covered in many respects, or not at all. It's not bad I suppose, but certainly wasn't as solid as what some other CPO warranties (e.g. Volvo, Cadilliac, Audi, VW and Lexus).
That's what I feared, it sounds like the CPO is a lot like the 2OP warranty. Last time I checked, the 2OP warranty also didn't cover things like the following:

- seals
- gaskets
- wear items (seat leather, etc)
- convertible tops (I think they mean the soft top and not the mechanics, but there was no clarification on this)
- electronics - iDrive, radio, nav, DVD/CD players, etc

The list was a lot longer than this, but this is all I can remember off the top of my head from when I looked at it 4 years ago.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 12:52 AM   #32
phyek
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Mineral White M4

Appreciate the wealth of information everyone has provided. I'll run a few numbers and speak with a few SA's around my area and go from there. I'll keep you guys posted and will run back with any other questions!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 01:23 AM   #33
5RNB419
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: n54 335i

I was in the same situation as you not too long ago. The biggest thing for me was that the car would be properly broken in/taken care of if i were to buy used. If not I was willing to bite the bullet pay the extra cash and purchase new.

I was just lucky and ended up with Golfrrr's previous M3
Love the car, it was kept in immaculate condition.
Appreciate 0