BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

04-11-2011, 05:48 PM   #45
xiliy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ride BMC

Nice, keep us in a loop.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 10:58 AM   #46
knifegun
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Hogan View Post
^^ thanks for the correction. I've loved KW ever since I had KWV2's on my 335i. I couldn't be happier with the KW coil sleeves so far. As far as the spring rates go, I don't believe KW reveals rates for these coils but I am not certain of that.
You stated the ride quality was about the same as stock which is good to hear. How much of handling improvement did you notice? Was it significant? Did you test out the stock versus KW setup on the same windy road pushing it?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 01:33 PM   #47
Hollywood Hogan
Captain
Rep
Drives: Sold: '13 RS5

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiliy View Post
Nice, keep us in a loop.
I went back to sonic to get the coilovers adjusted and just decided to drop them all the way as low as they can go. They look REALLY good now. The ride is slightly harsher now which is expected but still quite close to stock in my opinion. The front and rear tires are now tucked under the fenders but does not have a "slammed" look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knifegun View Post
You stated the ride quality was about the same as stock which is good to hear. How much of handling improvement did you notice? Was it significant? Did you test out the stock versus KW setup on the same windy road pushing it?
I definitely feel that the car does handle better. I take one specific route nearly every day which has a nice S curve and the car plain and simple, handles better, feels more planted, and has less body roll. I have never been to a track before so I cannot guess how it would handle in that scenario but it is more than enough for me on the street.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 02:50 PM   #48
knifegun
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I went back to sonic to get the coilovers adjusted and just decided to drop them all the way as low as they can go. They look REALLY good now. The ride is slightly harsher now which is expected but still quite close to stock in my opinion. The front and rear tires are now tucked under the fenders but does not have a "slammed" look.

I definitely feel that the car does handle better. I take one specific route nearly every day which has a nice S curve and the car plain and simple, handles better, feels more planted, and has less body roll. I have never been to a track before so I cannot guess how it would handle in that scenario but it is more than enough for me on the street.
Good to hear. Sounds like the KW setup was perfect for you. I like my Dinan suspension. However, on Laguna Seca, it feels soft especially after the corkscrew. If you don't track your car, I bet you would not even feel the standard M3 suspension as being "soft". Cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 05:39 PM   #49
jimmy ny
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw m3

With your KW coilsleeve kit, do you notice the different settings of the EDC? Or do they all feel the same from comfort to sport.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 06:56 PM   #50
knifegun
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy ny View Post
With your KW coilsleeve kit, do you notice the different settings of the EDC? Or do they all feel the same from comfort to sport.
If you are asking me, I don't know. Sonic MS was very cool and allowed me to change my mind and go with Ground Control.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 01:46 PM   #51
ki__
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C 6MT

Garage List
Hollywood, how slow do you have to go over bumps now?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 02:53 AM   #52
Hollywood Hogan
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy ny View Post
I still do notice the different settings with the EDC. The bumps are definitely more rough in Sport mode than if I was on Comfort Mode. Although the difference may not be as big as when I was on OEM springs but I feel the difference is still definitely noticable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacknRedi View Post
Hollywood, how slow do you have to go over bumps now?
I've always tried to avoid or go slow through bumps even before I was lowered. It's just a natural instinct I have from having lowered so many car prior to the M.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 10:42 AM   #53
ki__
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
've always tried to avoid or go slow through bumps even before I was lowered. It's just a natural instinct I have from having lowered so many car prior to the M.
Yeah I go very slow over bumps with OEM ride height..

Thanks though. I have to go over at least 3 bumps every morning and every night so I am contemplating on what to do.

The just springs idea is nice because its inexpensive, but I am scared of the long term effect it might have on the shocks.

And V3's would be ideal, but I like the EDC function somewhat, and dropping 3k is a lot.

Thanks for the write up, makes me consider this even more now.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 11:17 AM   #54
Hollywood Hogan
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I go very slow over bumps with OEM ride height..

Thanks though. I have to go over at least 3 bumps every morning and every night so I am contemplating on what to do.

The just springs idea is nice because its inexpensive, but I am scared of the long term effect it might have on the shocks.

And V3's would be ideal, but I like the EDC function somewhat, and dropping 3k is a lot.

Thanks for the write up, makes me consider this even more now.
No prob

I definitely understand you about the V3's. I was looking for a used set and couldn't find any and wasn't ready to drop 3grand on a new set. I still might get the V3's one of these days if I find a good deal on a used set. I would say the new look of the car is definitely worth having to go slow over a few bumps!

For reference this is the lowest setting on my E93

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 01:53 PM   #55
ki__
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
No prob

I definitely understand you about the V3's. I was looking for a used set and couldn't find any and wasn't ready to drop 3grand on a new set. I still might get the V3's one of these days if I find a good deal on a used set. I would say the new look of the car is definitely worth having to go slow over a few bumps!

For reference this is the lowest setting on my E93

Loving that shot of your car!!! Wow.. I really like how it sits.

This is all the way down?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 02:35 PM   #56
Hollywood Hogan
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Loving that shot of your car!!! Wow.. I really like how it sits.

This is all the way down?
Yup thats the lowest setting. I had my buddy drive my car around a few times so I could see how it looks when its moving and it looks really good IMO
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 11:16 PM   #57
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

IMO, the biggest benefit of the GC kit is the reduced stack height of the front upper mount which increases suspension travel. Maintaining suspension travel is the most important thing to ride quality when lowering a car. Looks like the KW kit uses the stock upper mounts. Therefore, if you drop the car 1", it loses 1" of suspension travel. On the GC, you are maintaining more of your suspension travel even when the car is lowered.

I don't have either product on my current car, but I've had a GC coilover kit on one of my prior vehicles and it had amazingly great ride quality despite very high spring rates... this is because it didn't bottom out nearly as much as a car with lower or progressive rate springs.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 08:44 AM   #58
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' YMB/Blk F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo View Post
IMO, the biggest benefit of the GC kit is the reduced stack height of the front upper mount which increases suspension travel. Maintaining suspension travel is the most important thing to ride quality when lowering a car. Looks like the KW kit uses the stock upper mounts. Therefore, if you drop the car 1", it loses 1" of suspension travel. On the GC, you are maintaining more of your suspension travel even when the car is lowered.

I don't have either product on my current car, but I've had a GC coilover kit on one of my prior vehicles and it had amazingly great ride quality despite very high spring rates... this is because it didn't bottom out nearly as much as a car with lower or progressive rate springs.
Very true about GC kit hence I went with GC...but Dinan kit uses shorter bump stops and shaved guideposts/spring perch hence they maintain the 3/4 inch suspension travel.

But nobody has confirmed whether the KW uses shorter bump stops or shave guide posts.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 08:58 AM   #59
Fsarc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E92 M3 LMB

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...7&postcount=34
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 05:42 AM   #60
geert
Rep
Drives: e92 m3 dkg

hallo, i'm from belgium
i whant to buy this kit from kw in belgium.i drive on 20" wheels.what wheels do you have?can you post 2 photos in close up from you wheels and body front and rear, so i can see how low it is whit the suspension on its lowest.i whant my back wheels in two the body of my car. sorry for my engles
thanks mate...
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 04:52 PM   #61
aka_phox
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Convertilble

nice!

'11.5 SG E93/6MT/ALL BOXES CHECKED
BLACK GRILL/BLACK SIDE GILLS/15% TINT/PAINTED REFLECTORS/SPACERS/ANGEL iBRIGHTS/20'' VOSSEN CV3/VINYL WRAPPED SHADOW LINE TRIM/ETS-POWER TUNE/
///M-FLIGHT MEMBER
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 08:09 PM   #62
EliseRR
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: SSP R35, SS 987 GT4, C63 Vert

Anyone knows how does KW coil over compare with non-EDC stock in terms of comfy level? Is it going to be very stiff? My wife is going to drive the car most of the time so I don't want her to complain me about it.

Darwin, please pm me an installed price of KW.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 08:14 PM   #63
Cal@Sonic MS
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliseRR View Post
Anyone knows how does KW coil over compare with non-EDC stock in terms of comfy level? Is it going to be very stiff? My wife is going to drive the car most of the time so I don't want her to complain me about it.

Darwin, please pm me an installed price of KW.

Thanks
The KW S/O kit utilizes progressively rated springs, so the ride retains 90-95% of OEM comfort levels.

You got PM.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 05:10 AM   #64
aka_phox
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal@Sonic MS View Post
The KW S/O kit utilizes progressively rated springs, so the ride retains 90-95% of OEM comfort levels.

You got PM.

Where I live, I usually drive on average 120mph and up when im on the highway. Will I feel any difference driving at these speeds on the highway with this modification? I dont want to be bouncing around at 130mph....

BLACK GRILL/BLACK SIDE GILLS/15% TINT/PAINTED REFLECTORS/SPACERS/ANGEL iBRIGHTS/20'' VOSSEN CV3/VINYL WRAPPED SHADOW LINE TRIM/ETS-POWER TUNE/
///M-FLIGHT MEMBER
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 12:12 PM   #65
Cal@Sonic MS
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_phox View Post
Where I live, I usually drive on average 120mph and up when im on the highway. Will I feel any difference driving at these speeds on the highway with this modification? I dont want to be bouncing around at 130mph....
The car will feel more planted and slightly firmer due to lower center of gravity, but there should be no bounciness.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 12:23 PM   #66
aka_phox
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal@Sonic MS View Post
The car will feel more planted and slightly firmer due to lower center of gravity, but there should be no bounciness.
copy that!

///M-FLIGHT MEMBER
Appreciate 0