BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

11-28-2012, 12:52 PM   #177
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakred View Post
I was a huge advocate of the 6 speed manuals, especially during the SMG era of BMWs. After owning a DCT transmission and driving the DCT M3, the prospect of shifting manually just seems silly to me. It doesn't help that BMW manual transmissions are pretty rubbery in shifter feel.
For me it's just about keeping my two foot busy!

Last edited by Alex07M3; 11-28-2012 at 02:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 09:12 PM   #178
Crisp
Lieutenant Colonel
Albania
Rep
Drives: F95 X5M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
Nothing out there rewards you more than a miata. Ok...Maybe the FR-S/BRZ.

The M3 is still a point and shoot car. Quite simply, if you need to learn the essence of driving in the format you mentioned..Miata is where its at and let's be honest..world's cheaper to own.

Ha!

Now that's a "hold on to your seat!" type of ride.

A close friend of mine picked up a miata just for track and auto-x events. I made fun of him for it up until the day I drove the thing....I fell in love!
What a ride it is. With no traction, no ABS and super light weight, it's the funnest car I have ever tossed around and so easy to handle precisely once you get the hang of it. I'm talking about oversteering through a turn with precision including full lock drifts and knowing exactly how the car is going to behave.

That's one of the reasons why I decided to switch from an M5 to an M3... that precision and involvement is addicting!
      11-28-2012, 09:17 PM   #179
Crisp
Lieutenant Colonel
Albania
Rep
Drives: F95 X5M

Garage List
Quote:
I was a huge advocate of the 6 speed manuals, especially during the SMG era of BMWs. After owning a DCT transmission and driving the DCT M3, the prospect of shifting manually just seems silly to me. It doesn't help that BMW manual transmissions are pretty rubbery in shifter feel.
I guess you can say it is silly because you will obviously shift much slower than with a DCT, your shifts will never be as smooth, you will never be as fast on the track, etc., but you are a lot more involved with the car and it's a lot more fun (unless you're sitting in traffic every day to and from work).
      12-05-2012, 08:49 PM   #180
PSTM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT-R, CTS-V Coupe, 750i

Did the same thing. Went from an M3 to a brand new GTR. Love it.
I am about to get into another M3 as a DD. I miss the car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 09:47 PM   #181
gonoyaro11
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Woo

gl
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 08:50 AM   #182
attila
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mclaren 650s, 2015 GTS4,

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
Nothing out there rewards you more than a miata. Ok...Maybe the FR-S/BRZ.

The M3 is still a point and shoot car. Quite simply, if you need to learn the essence of driving in the format you mentioned..Miata is where its at and let's be honest..world's cheaper to own.
+1 for the Miata!! Several times I end up driving more my wife Miata on the track than the GT3RS. (When she comes out to drag me home) It is genuine fun on the track, especially in the wet!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 09:24 AM   #183
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSTM3 View Post
Did the same thing. Went from an M3 to a brand new GTR. Love it.
I am about to get into another M3 as a DD. I miss the car.
Could you elaborate a bit and compare the cars further? Always interested in first-hand impressions from people who actually own(ed) both cars
Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Öhlins Road & Track / M3 Suspension Parts / Solid Subframe Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Racing Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU / COBB Pro-Tune
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 12:36 AM   #184
fuzzybam
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB GLE350

Cars I lust over in no particular order: M3, GTR, and GT3/GT3RS
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 11:07 PM   #185
Beemw335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

The m3 obviously cannot compete with the gtr performance wise.
However, its a more luxurious, more comfortable and a much better daily driver than the gtr.
Lets not forget the glorious exhaust note of the s65.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 11:23 PM   #186
Chriskm3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Wanna trade for a m3?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 06:59 PM   #187
roadmax
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe

Re

Good choice with GTR, congrats OP.
Since you are familiar with both I am curious to know how is the back seat of GTR compared to M3?
Can 2 adults be seated comfortably in a back set of GTR?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #188
alms211
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
I agree 100%. The DCT in the M3 is fantastic and the GT-R's is brilliant as well. Porsche PDK is equally as nice. I don't see me ever going with a manual again...unless I get my hands on a 993 Turbo or 993S.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #189
TeRRoRiFiC35
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Car

I thought I might as well ask this in here since I have been debating between getting a new E92 or a used GTR. I have been going back and forth between the two because the M3 and the Skyline have been childhood dream cars for me. I'm not waiting for the M4 to come out because my faith in the new motor setup is, well, you can take a guess. These are the main uses for the car:
1) Taking some of the DD responsibility when it is nice outside. My drive each way is about 30 miles, 13 of which is heavy stop/go traffic while the other 18 is pure highway.
2) Very little track use.
3) Full time weekend car except during the winter.

Each one has it's stuff that I like better. The M3 overall has a better interior and exterior (but I also like the GTR's exterior). The GTR has more HP and torque. The GTR is less seen than the M3 to where no one is going to confuse it for a lesser model. Manual transmission is not a breaking point for me because of the stop/go traffic. Backseat room is also not a selling point because I don't like having people sit behind me either. Trunk space also doesn't matter. Obviously in one situation I get a brand new car and the other I put my faith in that the previous owner took care of the car. The BMW paint is better than the Nissan paint (especially comparing the two). Maintenance costs between the two are on different spectrum's.

Anything that I haven't thought of could be helpful in making my decision.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 02:42 PM   #190
alms211
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Actually - I don't think there is much of any difference in paint quality. BMW has just as much orange peel as the GT-R. GT-R's paint may be a tad softer though. Interior wise - I like the layout of the M3 better and the bits/pieces look at bit nicer but the M3 doesn't have any leather on the dash either. I wouldn't let the interior drive my decision here. The GT-R isn't anywhere near Corvette bad.

I think all you have left out are the mechanical noises and perhaps some ride quality compromises that you get with the GT-R. My research has indicated that some of those issues can be remedied (sp?) with non runflat tires and the mechanical noises aren't that bad with upgraded tranny fluid????

The GT-R will be more expensive to maintain but I really don't think it is as much of a delta as you think.

The GT-R has really grown on me in the looks dept. Also think it looks much better in person than in photos. It will definitely garner more gawks than the M3 if that is something that is important.

For your intended use I'd give the GT-R much consideration. What have you been driving and what are you accustomed to? American, Euro, Japanese, British,..? I think that may play a role in which one you will like better as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 03:45 PM   #191
TeRRoRiFiC35
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by alms211 View Post
Actually - I don't think there is much of any difference in paint quality. BMW has just as much orange peel as the GT-R. GT-R's paint may be a tad softer though. Interior wise - I like the layout of the M3 better and the bits/pieces look at bit nicer but the M3 doesn't have any leather on the dash either. I wouldn't let the interior drive my decision here. The GT-R isn't anywhere near Corvette bad.

I think all you have left out are the mechanical noises and perhaps some ride quality compromises that you get with the GT-R. My research has indicated that some of those issues can be remedied (sp?) with non runflat tires and the mechanical noises aren't that bad with upgraded tranny fluid????

The GT-R will be more expensive to maintain but I really don't think it is as much of a delta as you think.

The GT-R has really grown on me in the looks dept. Also think it looks much better in person than in photos. It will definitely garner more gawks than the M3 if that is something that is important.

For your intended use I'd give the GT-R much consideration. What have you been driving and what are you accustomed to? American, Euro, Japanese, British,..? I think that may play a role in which one you will like better as well.
Originally from HS till about 2+ years ago it was mainly Honda's.. A couple of built EG hatches, EM1, DC2, and an EM2 (EM2's are the 01-05 Civics which are complete trash FYI if you are ever looking for a cheap DD). For the past 2 years I have been driving a '11 G37x sedan. Modability of the AWD G's is sad to put it nicely. In those two years I have grown to hate sedans because it has unneeded space for me in the rear since I don't have any kids(that I know about) and since the backseat doesn't go down it has been kind of pointless. The paint on the Infiniti's is the same thing they use on all the Nissan's, I know how bad it is since I complained to the dealer within a week about it chipping. Originally 2 years ago I was going to buy a M3 but decided against it at the time since I was looking for a new job. Since then I have gotten a better job that pays a lot more (it's also less than half the distance away from my house compared to the old job).

With that, ride quality is not going to be a concern based on me knowing I will be swapping the stock suspension of either car. The worst ride I have ever had was on my old slammed EM2 with BC Racing coilovers (going from KW Variant to BC was such a mistake). I also don't plan on keeping the stock run flats with the GTR if I get that.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 04:22 PM   #192
Archiebabes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5, Huracan EVO, R35 GTR

New pics of the GTR with Carbon Fiber Aero Parts

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 05:05 PM   #193
kchu221
JDM whore
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2009 997.1 Turbo

looks good, what lip and side skirts is that???
      03-06-2013, 05:32 PM   #194
AlteredBe4st
First Pride
Rep
Drives: M4

Sick pic . Awesome car.
      03-06-2013, 05:35 PM   #195
konaforever
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Red GTR

Shiny!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 06:09 PM   #196
Blackopsm3
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archiebabes
Sold my E92 M3 about a month ago and purchased a GTR.

GTR advantages over the E92 M3

1. More Power and Torque

2. Better Handling

3. For me IMO it looks better and more aggressvie than the M3

4. Better Fuel Economy I was able to get close to 19MPG city driving using the Snow mode and Comfort Mode.

5. Power gains - With just a Midpipe, Catback and 1000cc Injectors and a Cobb Pro Tune will yield 570whp and 580wtq on 91 Pump Gas.

6. The Thrill of launching the car when it hits 60mph in just 3 seconds.
I see u have the 2012 face filt on UR gtr where did u get it , If u dnt mind
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 09:44 PM   #197
Archiebabes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5, Huracan EVO, R35 GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackopsm3 View Post
I see u have the 2012 face filt on UR gtr where did u get it , If u dnt mind
Got everything from my local Nissan Dealership.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 09:54 PM   #198
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Car looks pretty badass