BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-06-2014, 11:09 AM   #1
OhSoCal
First Lieutenant
OhSoCal's Avatar
United_States
42
Rep
302
Posts

Drives: Porsche 997 turbo
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Ohio - SoCal

iTrader: (2)

Which is Wider: 285/30/19 Hankook V12 or 275/35/19 Michelin PSS?

Yes, it sounds like a dumb question initially because the 285 is usually the wider tire but tire width seem to be different from brand to brand even if they're the same sizes. The Michelin PSS's also have a rounder profile than the V12's so that may make them look more narrow than another brand's tire of the same size. Plus the sidewalls are different sizes.
Reason I ask is, I'm looking to get PSS's on the rear that are wider than the factory 265's but unfortunately, the PSS's don't come in 285/30. 275/35 is the most feasible option but I'd like to know if they're as wide as a Hankook V12 in 285/30. Thanks in advance.
__________________
Instagram: PaulDarin
Current: Porsche 997 turbo, Basalt Black, 6-speed | 2011 Audi S4, Ibis White | Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, Fuel Wheels
Past: E92 M3 M-DCT, Space Gray | E46 M3, Jet Black, 6-speed | Supra twin turbo, 6-speed, Renaissance Red.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 11:38 AM   #2
dereksM3
Lieutenant
dereksM3's Avatar
United_States
46
Rep
540
Posts

Drives: 2016 MG 340i M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lynnwood, WA

iTrader: (2)

They are as wide if not slightly wider from I've seen. The contact patch and grip is far superior to the V12's. Just a better tire in every aspect. I currently have 275 PSS and came from OEM 265's and it was absolutely night and day difference. Honestly is the perfect balance for a slightly modified car. V12's seem to be a touch narrow and have soft sidewalls. Personally an M3 doesn't work well with tires that have soft sidewalls. I'm actually surprised as many people run them. They are a decent tire for the price though.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 03:46 PM   #3
OhSoCal
First Lieutenant
OhSoCal's Avatar
United_States
42
Rep
302
Posts

Drives: Porsche 997 turbo
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Ohio - SoCal

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereksM3
They are as wide if not slightly wider from I've seen. The contact patch and grip is far superior to the V12's. Just a better tire in every aspect. I currently have 275 PSS and came from OEM 265's and it was absolutely night and day difference. Honestly is the perfect balance for a slightly modified car. V12's seem to be a touch narrow and have soft sidewalls. Personally an M3 doesn't work well with tires that have soft sidewalls. I'm actually surprised as many people run them. They are a decent tire for the price though.
Thanks for the response!
So just to clarify, you're saying the 275/35 PSS will be wider than the 285/30 V12?
__________________
Instagram: PaulDarin
Current: Porsche 997 turbo, Basalt Black, 6-speed | 2011 Audi S4, Ibis White | Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, Fuel Wheels
Past: E92 M3 M-DCT, Space Gray | E46 M3, Jet Black, 6-speed | Supra twin turbo, 6-speed, Renaissance Red.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 04:47 PM   #4
dereksM3
Lieutenant
dereksM3's Avatar
United_States
46
Rep
540
Posts

Drives: 2016 MG 340i M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lynnwood, WA

iTrader: (2)

As wide if not slightly wider. PSS run slightly wide while the V12's don't. I would say it's real close. I haven't seen them side by side. What I can say given equal contact patches the PSS are in a different league than the V12's.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 05:17 PM   #5
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
212
Rep
3,255
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: El Segundo, CA

iTrader: (1)

The actual tread width will still be wider with the Mich. PSS while the section width will be about .4" inch wider with the Hankook. That being said Im going with the Mich. PSS.

Hankook V12 285/30/19

Tread width: 10.1"
Section Width: 11.3"

Mich PSS 275/35/19

Tread width: 10.2"
Section width: 10.9"

If you want to go with a 285/30/19 out back go with the Continental 5Ps, they are an excellent tire and are 10.7" in tread width and 11.4" in full section width on a 10" wide wheel.

I've owned these tires and they are right up there with the Mich PSS if you want to go with GTS sizes. They just aren't cheap.

Dave
__________________
2013 M3 Coupe-MR/BLK ZCP, ACM test pipes, BPM Stg2 dev. tune and Megan catback, AFE Stg2. with C/F elbow VMRV810 19x10&19X11 275/295 Mich PSS.
Previous rides: 2011 M3 Coupe-MR/Blk
2007 Porsche 997C2S Speed Yellow/Blk sport seats
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 06:34 PM   #6
OhSoCal
First Lieutenant
OhSoCal's Avatar
United_States
42
Rep
302
Posts

Drives: Porsche 997 turbo
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Ohio - SoCal

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S View Post
The actual tread width will still be wider with the Mich. PSS while the section width will be about .4" inch wider with the Hankook. That being said Im going with the Mich. PSS.

Hankook V12 285/30/19

Tread width: 10.1"
Section Width: 11.3"

Mich PSS 275/35/19

Tread width: 10.2"
Section width: 10.9"

If you want to go with a 285/30/19 out back go with the Continental 5Ps, they are an excellent tire and are 10.7" in tread width and 11.4" in full section width on a 10" wide wheel.

I've owned these tires and they are right up there with the Mich PSS if you want to go with GTS sizes. They just aren't cheap.

Dave
Dave,
I researched the Contis after reading your response and those are pretty awesome tires.....just a bit out of my price range.
I was only considering the V12's because I already have brand new front sizes sitting around and noticed they come in 285/30/19 and the PSS didn't.

I'm looking for a nice, wide view from the rear (on OEM ZCP wheels).

It looks like the PSS's are the happy medium.
__________________
Instagram: PaulDarin
Current: Porsche 997 turbo, Basalt Black, 6-speed | 2011 Audi S4, Ibis White | Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, Fuel Wheels
Past: E92 M3 M-DCT, Space Gray | E46 M3, Jet Black, 6-speed | Supra twin turbo, 6-speed, Renaissance Red.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 12:48 PM   #7
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
212
Rep
3,255
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: El Segundo, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhSoCal View Post
Dave,
I researched the Contis after reading your response and those are pretty awesome tires.....just a bit out of my price range.
I was only considering the V12's because I already have brand new front sizes sitting around and noticed they come in 285/30/19 and the PSS didn't.

I'm looking for a nice, wide view from the rear (on OEM ZCP wheels).

It looks like the PSS's are the happy medium.
What brand are the fronts...you don't want to mix brands.


I'm running Toyo T1S on my car now, and they are an excellent tire as well. They are a tad cheaper..My M3 rear shot with GTS sizes and ToyoT1S.



I know everyone wants the PSS as do I, they are an excellent tire. There are other good tires out there though.
__________________
2013 M3 Coupe-MR/BLK ZCP, ACM test pipes, BPM Stg2 dev. tune and Megan catback, AFE Stg2. with C/F elbow VMRV810 19x10&19X11 275/295 Mich PSS.
Previous rides: 2011 M3 Coupe-MR/Blk
2007 Porsche 997C2S Speed Yellow/Blk sport seats
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 01:55 PM   #8
OhSoCal
First Lieutenant
OhSoCal's Avatar
United_States
42
Rep
302
Posts

Drives: Porsche 997 turbo
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Ohio - SoCal

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhSoCal View Post
Dave,
I researched the Contis after reading your response and those are pretty awesome tires.....just a bit out of my price range.
I was only considering the V12's because I already have brand new front sizes sitting around and noticed they come in 285/30/19 and the PSS didn't.

I'm looking for a nice, wide view from the rear (on OEM ZCP wheels).

It looks like the PSS's are the happy medium.
What brand are the fronts...you don't want to mix brands.


I'm running Toyo T1S on my car now, and they are an excellent tire as well. They are a tad cheaper..My M3 rear shot with GTS sizes and ToyoT1S.



I know everyone wants the PSS as do I, they are an excellent tire. There are other good tires out there though.
You say "GTS sizes" so are you running 285 all the way around? I think GTS runs a square setup (correct me if I'm wrong).
As for my fronts, I currently have Michelin PSS in the fronts with good tread life left. Rears are also PSS but are worn so while I'm looking at buying new rear tires anyways, I wanted to go wider.
The Hankooks are considered only because I have a brand new front set (originally bought for my Audi) and noticed I can get 285/30 for the rear since I want the wide look.
__________________
Instagram: PaulDarin
Current: Porsche 997 turbo, Basalt Black, 6-speed | 2011 Audi S4, Ibis White | Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, Fuel Wheels
Past: E92 M3 M-DCT, Space Gray | E46 M3, Jet Black, 6-speed | Supra twin turbo, 6-speed, Renaissance Red.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 04:03 PM   #9
Sandye90m3
Major
Sandye90m3's Avatar
Canada
52
Rep
1,025
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toronto, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhSoCal View Post
You say "GTS sizes" so are you running 285 all the way around? I think GTS runs a square setup (correct me if I'm wrong).
As for my fronts, I currently have Michelin PSS in the fronts with good tread life left. Rears are also PSS but are worn so while I'm looking at buying new rear tires anyways, I wanted to go wider.
The Hankooks are considered only because I have a brand new front set (originally bought for my Audi) and noticed I can get 285/30 for the rear since I want the wide look.
The M3 GTS, runs 255/35/19 and 285/30/19
__________________
M3.E90 JZB Blacked out.Coded.TurnerTestPipes.GTSDCT. Magnaflow w/DinanTips. ResDelete. GintaniTune
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 09:20 PM   #10
WW435
Major
WW435's Avatar
85
Rep
1,163
Posts

Drives: '15 435 xDrive & '12 M3
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: PA

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhSoCal View Post
Dave,
I researched the Contis after reading your response and those are pretty awesome tires.....just a bit out of my price range.
I was only considering the V12's because I already have brand new front sizes sitting around and noticed they come in 285/30/19 and the PSS didn't.

I'm looking for a nice, wide view from the rear (on OEM ZCP wheels).

It looks like the PSS's are the happy medium.
What brand are the fronts...you don't want to mix brands.


I'm running Toyo T1S on my car now, and they are an excellent tire as well. They are a tad cheaper..My M3 rear shot with GTS sizes and ToyoT1S.



I know everyone wants the PSS as do I, they are an excellent tire. There are other good tires out there though.
Dave,

Your car's stance looks great. So the Toyos are pretty good? I once went with Hankook evos over Michelins to save $. I swore I wouldn't do it again because of how soft they were. Would you recommend?
__________________
Past: 1999 M3 2003 M5 2006 330i 2007 335i 2009 M3
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 11:12 AM   #11
Flying05
Private First Class
Flying05's Avatar
11
Rep
104
Posts

Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Jerez Black
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ATL

iTrader: (0)

I just recently bought the new hankook ventus evo2's 255/285's replacing the stock Michelins and I am very happy with them this far. They look very wide and look great on the car. Good looking tire. I read a lot about the soft side walls in the prior evo's, but they supposedly fixed it on these. IMHO, I don't track the car so they are great for anything on the street. However, if I could have gotten the 285/30 rears in the michelins, I would have gotten those.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 01:35 PM   #12
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
212
Rep
3,255
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: El Segundo, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWM3 View Post
Dave,

Your car's stance looks great. So the Toyos are pretty good? I once went with Hankook evos over Michelins to save $. I swore I wouldn't do it again because of how soft they were. Would you recommend?
The Toyos have a very OEM feel about them, which is a good thing. I feel they are equal to the OEM Mich. PS2s and much better than the Conti 3s. The Toyos have a nice stiff sidewall and they have a very linear breakaway. Definitely would get them again. However, I felt the Continental 5Ps were a slightly better tire on corner exit.

The Toyos are light years better than the Hankooks. I thought the Hankooks were worse than the Nitto Invos that I had on my 2011 M3 at one time.

Dave
__________________
2013 M3 Coupe-MR/BLK ZCP, ACM test pipes, BPM Stg2 dev. tune and Megan catback, AFE Stg2. with C/F elbow VMRV810 19x10&19X11 275/295 Mich PSS.
Previous rides: 2011 M3 Coupe-MR/Blk
2007 Porsche 997C2S Speed Yellow/Blk sport seats
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 02:32 PM   #13
dereksM3
Lieutenant
dereksM3's Avatar
United_States
46
Rep
540
Posts

Drives: 2016 MG 340i M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lynnwood, WA

iTrader: (2)

I think given the OP already has PSS on the front going with them on the back is the only logical decision in my opinion. They will "look" wider and perform better in virtually every single category besides the price...and even then you are talking $100-200 at most.
Appreciate 1
      11-10-2014, 05:24 PM   #14
WW435
Major
WW435's Avatar
85
Rep
1,163
Posts

Drives: '15 435 xDrive & '12 M3
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: PA

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S View Post
The Toyos have a very OEM feel about them, which is a good thing. I feel they are equal to the OEM Mich. PS2s and much better than the Conti 3s. The Toyos have a nice stiff sidewall and they have a very linear breakaway. Definitely would get them again. However, I felt the Continental 5Ps were a slightly better tire on corner exit.

The Toyos are light years better than the Hankooks. I thought the Hankooks were worse than the Nitto Invos that I had on my 2011 M3 at one time.

Dave
Thanks Dave.
__________________
Past: 1999 M3 2003 M5 2006 330i 2007 335i 2009 M3
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 12:07 AM   #15
OhSoCal
First Lieutenant
OhSoCal's Avatar
United_States
42
Rep
302
Posts

Drives: Porsche 997 turbo
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Ohio - SoCal

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereksM3 View Post
I think given the OP already has PSS on the front going with them on the back is the only logical decision in my opinion. They will "look" wider and perform better in virtually every single category besides the price...and even then you are talking $100-200 at most.
Yes, you are correct. I also have brand new Hankooks in front sizes 255/35/19 so that's why they were also mentioned. The only reason I considered them was that they come in 285/30 and of course cost.... but now I know the PSS in 275/35 are just as wide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S View Post
I'm running Toyo T1S on my car now, and they are an excellent tire as well. They are a tad cheaper..My M3 rear shot with GTS sizes and ToyoT1S.
Dave, I didn't see Toyo T1S in 285/30/19 on Tire Rack's website.....
__________________
Instagram: PaulDarin
Current: Porsche 997 turbo, Basalt Black, 6-speed | 2011 Audi S4, Ibis White | Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, Fuel Wheels
Past: E92 M3 M-DCT, Space Gray | E46 M3, Jet Black, 6-speed | Supra twin turbo, 6-speed, Renaissance Red.

Last edited by OhSoCal; 11-11-2014 at 12:14 AM.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 12:42 AM   #16
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
212
Rep
3,255
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: El Segundo, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhSoCal View Post
Dave, I didn't see Toyo T1S in 285/30/19 on Tire Rack's website.....
Yea Tirerack only sells the 255/35/19, you can get them elsewhere.

Look on google, take it to Americas Tire they match or beat any advertised price. I found a set of 255/285 for just over $1200.

Dave
__________________
2013 M3 Coupe-MR/BLK ZCP, ACM test pipes, BPM Stg2 dev. tune and Megan catback, AFE Stg2. with C/F elbow VMRV810 19x10&19X11 275/295 Mich PSS.
Previous rides: 2011 M3 Coupe-MR/Blk
2007 Porsche 997C2S Speed Yellow/Blk sport seats
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:17 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST