BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - New England

BPM

11-17-2013, 09:08 PM   #1
MJM
BMW CCA Boston Chapter - Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, ZCP

Getting ready for winter

As the M3 gets ready for it's winter hibernation, the Carbon Black X5 must be ready for the foul road conditions that the winter weather brings. That means a trip to see Rick and Ryan at Unique Car Care (now in their new home in Stoneham, MA) for a winter preparation. Standard detail with clay bar treatment, surface scratch removal and paint correction. Followed by a preparation for the final treatment of Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 (http://optimumcarcare.com/ocoat1.php?li=10) for the best winter protection. Here are three quick pictures of the finished look. Another outstanding job by the masters at Unique Car Care!!
Attached Images

Last edited by MJM; 11-18-2013 at 07:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 02:37 PM   #2
dkexige
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, 8J TTRS

Looks great! I was thinking of doing this after the harsh winter as opposed to before

Would you mind PMing me the cost of the job? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 08:59 PM   #3
Grinder
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 328ix M Sport, 99 M3 conv

Looks great! Just finished school tonight. Nineine down, one more to go! Maybe we can grab coffee in a week or two.

TG
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 09:46 AM   #4
Grinder
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 328ix M Sport, 99 M3 conv

I had a tough time finding snows to fit the 2010 328iX M sport. I didn’t want run flats so there were no non-studded options out there. At the same time one of the stock 193s developed a small crack on the inside rear left wheel. Luckily the backup set of 193 takeoffs arrived the same day. I had the wheel welded at Rim Pro and had a set of 255/35R-18 Pirelli Winter Sottozero Series I mounted on the rear with the hope of finding a pair of 225/40R-18 Pirelli Winter Sottozero Series I for the front. Unfortunately there are none out there so I ordered a set of Bridgestone LM32s for the front from Tire Rack. Tire rack called me the next day and refused to ship the LM32s to me because they are a mismatched set.

I told the rep, yes I understand that the tires will have different grip rates. I told him was more concerned about keeping the rolling size right than worrying about the grip delta. I reminded him that I am running a 225 on the front and a 255 on the rear so no matter what I use the grip rates will be different.

I ended up at Liner tire in Brookline. They installed a set of Hakkapeliitta r2s in the front. They have a very soft pliable tread but seem to track well at speed. The car handled fantastic in the floods caused by the storm today. Can’t wait to shut off the traction control and try them in the snow!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 06:35 AM   #5
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

My M3 isn't being driven much right now, although I keep going until the first snow. It is really the salting and sanding that is the bigger issue. Waiting on delivery of my Audi S6 for now. Still a few weeks away.
      12-01-2013, 09:07 PM   #6
MJM
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
Looks great! Just finished school tonight. Nineine down, one more to go! Maybe we can grab coffee in a week or two.

TG
Sounds good!
      12-01-2013, 09:09 PM   #7
MJM
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
My M3 isn't being driven much right now, although I keep going until the first snow. It is really the salting and sanding that is the bigger issue. Waiting on delivery of my Audi S6 for now. Still a few weeks away.
Were you coaxed by their great holiday commercials? Is the Cayenne leaving your fleet?
      12-02-2013, 10:30 AM   #8
Savage_M3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 & 2022 X3M Comp

Quote:
Nice! Not a bad choice of a "winter beater"
      12-13-2013, 03:11 PM   #9
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJM View Post
Were you coaxed by their great holiday commercials? Is the Cayenne leaving your fleet?
I have owned a number of Audis. Great winter capability, and for big power and torque, AWD has a huge advantage. While officially rated at 420hp/406lb-ft, independent testing has yielded more like 480hp and 460 lb-ft. This helps explain the 3.7 sec 0-60 capability. ECU flash gets me to 560hp for $1400. And, yes, after 2 Cayennes, I am a Porsche owner no longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage_M3 View Post
Nice! Not a bad choice of a "winter beater"
High powered AWD cars with proper snow tires are a blast in the snow!!! Winter is so long up here that it would suck to be driving a beater for 4-5 months. Anyway, I am taking all the proper steps for winter protection. I bought some Wolf Chemical Nano sealant. I have a pressure washer and heater air dryer. Just picked up a 5 liter contrainer of Auto Finesse citrus cleaner. Basically, I can spray on the citrus cleaner onto my muck laden car, allow it to work, powerwash it off, then blow dry the car. This will remove all the real muck and grime and not leave any water spots. I am also getting Xpel Ultimate paint film on the front and full hood.
      12-14-2013, 07:26 AM   #10
MJM
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have owned a number of Audis. Great winter capability, and for big power and torque, AWD has a huge advantage. While officially rated at 420hp/406lb-ft, independent testing has yielded more like 480hp and 460 lb-ft. This helps explain the 3.7 sec 0-60 capability. ECU flash gets me to 560hp for $1400. And, yes, after 2 Cayennes, I am a Porsche owner no longer.

High powered AWD cars with proper snow tires are a blast in the snow!!! Winter is so long up here that it would suck to be driving a beater for 4-5 months. Anyway, I am taking all the proper steps for winter protection. I bought some Wolf Chemical Nano sealant. I have a pressure washer and heater air dryer. Just picked up a 5 liter contrainer of Auto Finesse citrus cleaner. Basically, I can spray on the citrus cleaner onto my muck laden car, allow it to work, powerwash it off, then blow dry the car. This will remove all the real muck and grime and not leave any water spots. I am also getting Xpel Ultimate paint film on the front and full hood.
I have been very impressed by Xpel. I had Rick at Unique Car Care do the entire front end of my wife's X3 a year ago and it still looks great despite heavy highway driving and her always on the road in the worst weather conditions.
      12-15-2013, 05:59 AM   #11
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJM View Post
I have been very impressed by Xpel. I had Rick at Unique Car Care do the entire front end of my wife's X3 a year ago and it still looks great despite heavy highway driving and her always on the road in the worst weather conditions.
Good to hear because it is quite pricey !!!
      12-15-2013, 09:21 AM   #12
zeeman335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2001 M3

+1 for Rick at Unique Car Care. I have never seen the quality of work he does anywhere else.
Appreciate 0