BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

EXXEL Distributions
Closed Thread

05-07-2011, 12:14 PM   #111
Cabinetman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 GMC Sierra

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
Deep prejudice is just stupid, no matter the topic.
I couldn't agree more.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 12:54 PM   #112
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 997GT3 View Post
Huh?
Are you even trying to debate?
So everyone that owns a Porsche, Lambo, or Corvette is merely showing off?
And a GTR is nothing more than a soulless rice rocket?
And what does your bank account have to do with anything?
He wants to show off. Ignore it. What he doesn't know is most people are are right where he is if not better off.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 03:35 PM   #113
alms211
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by E=mc2 View Post
Of course they are, but M3 is the best. Look at Jeremy Clarkson, his review of Corvette is quite good.
Have you seen JC's review of the M3 with the "cockmeter"? Have you seen JC's reviews of Porsche's in general? He isn't a fan. The show is for entertainment purposes only. I'm not surprised you didn't grasp that.

Save for the CLK63 AMG BS and the Ford GT, he is an English car fanboi.

I still find him quite entertaining
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 03:37 PM   #114
alms211
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpari09 View Post
Of course they are, but M3 is one of the best DD's available... but a sportscar it isn't. Actually, BMW does not make a sportscar.

Subjectively yes.
fixed it for ya. You're welcome
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 06:10 PM   #115
991GT3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ford Raptor

Quote:
Yeah and if the m5 weighed about the same as a z06 it would be a different story. The v10 in the m5 generates the same hp as the z06 with 2 liters less. 2 liters is the size of an s2000 engine which produces 240hp, do the math High revving naturally aspirated engines are known to guzzle fuel, thats why u dont normally find these engines in cheap cars, because the people who can afford these type of cars do not typically worry about mpg's. you can not deny the brilliance of the engine in the m5 or the m3.

Sorry but these type of arguments drive me nuts. Who frickin cares about displacement per HP? Really.
BTW, I owned an M6 and thought the engine sucked. It went through oil like a 72 chevette and had horrible gas mileage coupled with a small gas tank.
Fuel efficency isn't just about cost. It's also about frequency of filling the tank and distance covered on a tank.

-2016 Macan Turbo(GF vehicle)
-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 06:17 PM   #116
elh0102
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i coupe

Quote:
you can not deny the brilliance of the engine in the m5 or the m3.
Well, yeah, I think I can. They are reasonably power-efficient motors, but like most BMW motors, they are dedicated to high rpm operation. This results in the demonstrated poor fuel efficiency, and below average reliability. I really enjoy the current E92 M3 I own, but it may not be in the "brilliant" class. I've owned a couple of ZO6 cars. The strengths and weaknesses of that car have been both accurately, and absurdly inaccurately commented upon in this thread, both by folks who have reasonable experience and perspective, and, apparent dimwits who choose only to argue a subjective and rather frivilous point of view. My goodness folks, these are just cars. Buy and drive what you choose and be willing to learn learn from others.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 06:29 PM   #117
991GT3
Captain
Rep

Arrow

Quote:
The m3 is one of the most highly praised car by automotive journalists the world over. It was voted winner of a c&d comparison between a 911 turbo and Nissan gtr. Why? Because it's the better all around car and subjective performer. It may not run around a track as fast as either car but it feels better driving it around a track. The bmw feels like it was built with time and effort and money.

Of course the M3 is a nice car but so is a vette(the point you're failing to grasp). And Clarkson is a stooge. And the M3 is not a superior car to GTR or 911 (Carrera S and up). And the C and D comparisons you're referring to was one of the dumbest comparisons of all time. They said an M3 was a better performance car than a 911 Turbo. That's a freakin joke.

-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 06:52 PM   #118
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Fool View Post
Rather take the M3???? Are you sick? Looks wise, performance wise and speed wise a ZO6 DOMINATES.

OP... that is one of the baddest Z06's O have ever seen.... congrats.

Now bring it to Germany so you can enjoy it!!!!
Performancewise, yes, but the M3 and Z06 are two very different types of cars. Z06 is a pure sports car, M3 is a luxury-performance car.

Looks are subjective. From some angles, the Vette looks hot as hell, from others, I think it looks dumpy. Have never been a fan of the "bubble-back" rear window. In terms of the interior, while the materials in the Vette have improved, the layout and design are still not "clean".

I still can't get over the stereotype of the fat, gold chain wearing, cigarette-in-hand, strip club owner image of a Vette owner. Let's face, it, the Vette is an amazing performance machine, but the image of the Corvette owner has a lot to be desired.

Bottom line, if pure track performance is really all you care about, the Z06 Vette will give you what you are after, as will a GTR. If you want other things from your car, including subjective qualities that are not easily quantified, that's were a car like the M3 excels. And honestly, in the world I live in, if I showed up in a Vette, I would likely be laughed at. That's really not what I want when I spend that much money on a car. Not making a value judgement here, it's just the reality of it.

Last edited by LarThaL; 05-07-2011 at 07:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 08:13 PM   #119
Wes Howell
www.facebook.com/weshowellcreative
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M4 Coupe Project Car

Quote:
An m6 coupe could hang with a z06 from 60mph roll to 140mph despite being down 2 liters in displacement and having a significant weight disadvantage. Wouldn't you agree?
I think A Z06 would steadily pull ahead. And of course it would completely destroy it on a track. Any track.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 08:25 PM   #120
Swedish M3ffia
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by 997GT3 View Post
This in itself shows how little you know about sports cars.
Jeremy Clarkson is a showman not a serious car reviewer. He hates American cars, 911s, and thinks people that drive M3s are obnoxious.
Yoy are right that clarkson makes a great show, but also he often got the best conclusions and delivers the best feeling. He is a very serious reviewer way bettern than some crap from edmunds or so. He don't hate american cars, but he is stating that they feel cheap, and that is because they do compared to germans, no matter what you say. But the quality of american cars have become better over the years
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 08:31 PM   #121
991GT3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish M3ffia View Post
Yoy are right that clarkson makes a great show, but also he often got the best conclusions and delivers the best feeling. He is a very serious reviewer way bettern than some crap from edmunds or so. He don't hate american cars, but he is stating that they feel cheap, and that is because they do compared to germans, no matter what you say. But the quality of american cars have become better over the years
No he really isn't a serious reviewer. He funny to listen to and very entertaining though.
I'll take Edmunds any day over Top Gear.
I'll take Chris Harris and Tif and Jason at 5th Gear way over Jeremy.

-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 10:35 PM   #122
SCCAForums.com
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race Cars

Quote:
That's why bmw is the number one most respected car maker in the world.
Says who?

This thread is Pointless... Z-06 Owns everything BMW makes... period.

In Model Year 2009, The ZR1 owns everything ANY Manufacturer produced... now look at what they've all are all having to build to compete...

Wake up... different cars suit different people in different ways... for some it isn't just the 'track performance' of a vehicle, for some it isn't the leather dash etc.. .etc..

Dave
2008 Lexus IS-F (Sold) 12.5 @ 113 / 2008 Shelby GT500 (Sold) 11.3 @ 126
2008 e90 M3 6MT 12.8 @ 111 (Sold) / 2006 e60 M5 12.4 @ 114 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread