BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions
Closed Thread

03-18-2009, 02:21 AM   #1
RAWPOWR
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 2008 E92 M3 6MT

GTR Race

Summary

Was driving home around 9PM and saw a black GTR tinted up really dark; looked like a wider G35 from far away (took me a while to realize it was a GTR; its size is all that really caught me). We were both behind cars at a light about to go up hill. As we start to go, the GTR is swerving super fast left to right trying to get around me and all the other cars. Once it does, it takes off so I try to catch it, by rev matching down to second; it got a head start, but I kept up within 2 car lengths.

Once we were on a down hill, I pulled up right next to it and this time initiated the go. Rev matched down third rolling down downhill at least at 60. The race goes quickly from down hill to uphill and gets up to 130 mph in a 45mph zone, where the guy quits. I won by about 1 car length.

Lessons

That thing is super fast and I think he just quit because he got scared. The hill curves to the left where there are occasionally accidents. He probably had a person in the car with him, which slowed him down a little; couldn't tell.

That race was crazy in the street zone; a couple miles later on my way home I rolled up on a really bad accident. Probably some kind of warning sign.

The two main things I learned were that driving ability coupled with car handling makes a big difference in any race not just in a completely straight line and that turbo or supercharging this mother f(_)cker would make it pretty much unstoppable (coupled with the right driver of course).

When I got home I just thought about all the competitors out there and how a lot come stock with their FI, and although there are upgrades for mostly all, the M3 is already keeping up or beating a lot of the cars out there. That's why I say with FI (and other standard bolt ons) it would be unstoppable (for a high price of course; probably exceeding $100K in total costs). The only other closely comparable NA car that comes to mind that would be crazier is the Z06 twin turboed (I actually know a guy doing this).
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 02:31 AM   #2
Sticky4
Banned
Rep
Drives: car

At speed, the cars are closer than people think.

People get caught up in figures on paper.

Yes, with FI the M3 is a seriously freaking awesome piece of machinery that few things can touch. Which is the entire reason I went for it.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 03:07 AM   #3
spyderco10
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3 6MT

this is reckless and irresponsible. You could have killed yourself, or someone else. racing belongs only on the track.
- John 3:16
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 03:18 AM   #4
Sticky4
Banned
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderco10 View Post
this is reckless and irresponsible. You could have killed yourself, or someone else. racing belongs only on the track.
This IS true... but... it was a GTR, come on
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 04:01 AM   #5
Splinter4784
414 little horsies
Armenia
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky4 View Post
This IS true... but... it was a GTR, come on
      03-18-2009, 06:00 AM   #6
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Haha right by my house.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 08:35 AM   #7
shagkie
Captain
Rep
Drives: a....V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
Haha right by my house.
Aren't you glad that you stayed indoor when this happened, 130 in a 45 zone, that's just retarded.
      03-18-2009, 08:41 AM   #8
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAWPOWR View Post
... That thing is super fast and I think he just quit because he got scared.
Or maybe he came to his senses.