BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

08-08-2014, 11:24 PM   #23
Petros
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

we need to know more details. why did those engines fail? was it rod bearings?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 11:31 PM   #24
CrusherM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 E92 Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Could you guys spare a few minutes and file a complaint to the National Highway Saftey Adminstration since your engine failures occured while the car was running?
It's the ONLY WAY BMW will recognize that there is a problem with this engine. We have a ton of engines with ticking sounds, but not that many that failed while drivind and that's the only real way to file a complaint as far as I know.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml

If I do this will BMW know who is filing the complaint? I have a little bit to lose here. I don't want to rock a $36k boat at the moment if you know what I mean. My car is still in the shop right now waiting for a new motor.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 11:32 PM   #25
e93 jonesy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3, E86 Z4M, W219 CLS63s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrusherM3 View Post
No oil dripping from mine. No smoke ,no nothing to indicate an engine issue. This is why I was so surprised when the SA told me new engine. I guess that the shut down mode that my SA told me about is what kept mine from completely blowing?

I asked my SA directly about the 1200 mile break in period and was told "no..not this time". Which made me very happy. The first one was bad enough..Like holding a chocolate ice cream cone just out of the reach of a fat kid. But now I'm hearing different.

Any concerns about resale with replacement engine?
I'm not concerned with the replacement motor hurting resale value of the car. I hope to keep it for a very long time and keep it well maintained. I was concerned before the work that a job this big and very expensive might change the title of the car. But nothing... The car might have 45k miles, but the car drives like new after the motor was put in.

jonesy...
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 11:35 PM   #26
templarklimek
templarklimek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15' X6M, 12' R8 V10,

Quote:
Could you guys spare a few minutes and file a complaint to the National Highway Saftey Adminstration since your engine failures occured while the car was running?
It's the ONLY WAY BMW will recognize that there is a problem with this engine. We have a ton of engines with ticking sounds, but not that many that failed while drivind and that's the only real way to file a complaint as far as I know.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml

Yes, because all we need is more government to save us from ourselves and ban these overpowerful engines that make the roads less safe and creates more power and taxes for Uber Government power. Ray La hood was a huge douchbag when he was head of NTSB(which shouldn't even exist). I know one day the all powerful nanny state and I will come to dire terms....
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 11:52 PM   #27
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-M3 View Post
How did you know that their engine failed due to rod bearings? They didn't mention anything about that. Is there another way why would an engine fail?
You're right, I don't know, but it's HIGHLY likely it's from the bearings. Besides, anytime you lose power while driving, it should be reported.
It would only help the community bring some attention to this issue.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 11:57 PM   #28
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrusherM3 View Post
If I do this will BMW know who is filing the complaint? I have a little bit to lose here. I don't want to rock a $36k boat at the moment if you know what I mean. My car is still in the shop right now waiting for a new motor.
Agreed. Wait for the engine to be installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by templarklimek View Post
Yes, because all we need is more government to save us from ourselves and ban these overpowerful engines that make the roads less safe and creates more power and taxes for Uber Government power. Ray La hood was a huge douchbag when he was head of NTSB(which shouldn't even exist). I know one day the all powerful nanny state and I will come to dire terms....
I can't prove the reporting we did with the crappy DCT tune did anything to get BMW to fix it, but BMW repeatedly told members here it was normal for the DCT to behave that way, when it was CLEARLY dangerous. There was a sticky here for people to file a complaint... and a few months later, BMW came out with a DCT update.

Remember, BMW also initially refused to acknowledge the S54 had an issue too. It's the only way to get a fix.

You're awefully parnoid. I'm just sayin.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 12:01 AM   #29
Nola 32/65
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 ZCP M3 6MT

Damn, kind I scary if you think about it. Just have your engine fail you with no warning signs at all. Sucks if you're on a road trip.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 12:13 AM   #30
CrusherM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 E92 Jet Black

Quote:
Agreed. Wait for the engine to be installed.

I can't prove the reporting we did with the crappy DCT tune did anything to get BMW to fix it, but BMW repeatedly told members here it was normal for the DCT to behave that way, when it was CLEARLY dangerous. There was a sticky here for people to file a complaint... and a few months later, BMW came out with a DCT update.

Remember, BMW also initially refused to acknowledge the S54 had an issue too. It's the only way to get a fix.

You're awefully parnoid. I'm just sayin.

AUS...I appreciate what you doing...and I didn't really even consider the fact that a loss of power incident like I had could have been dangerous situation. I was getting on the freeway and if I hadn't had the momentum that I had people could have smashed me right in the rear. When You drive a M3 and you are under full power the last thing you think will happen is someone might run you over from the back...
Appreciate 0