BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - California

11-12-2009, 11:24 PM   #23
MYM3
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 convertible

Meet

Guys any one meeting this weekend ?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2009, 04:34 AM   #24
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 353k+ miles

Watch out on Skyline. I know a couple people who got tickets going up there before midnight.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2009, 12:34 PM   #25
UltraMagneticAL
Meh
Rep
Drives: M3CS & Cayman S

Garage List
2019 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
what's so good about norcal? just wondering? i moved up there now and i hate it. SoCal >>>>>> NorCal. we have disneyland, knotts, 6 flags, universal studios, beaches, snowboarding, the desert all within 1.5 hrs of each other in Socal...and lots more twisties...and EVERYONE does 80+ on the freeways...the peeps in norcal like to drive 55. traffic in SoCal is because of congestion. traffic in Norcal is cuz slow drivers make walls of cars....which is more frustrating. plus from SoCal we can do turn-around Vegas trips.

oh and ps...here's where i've been driving up north
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...08647&t=h&z=12
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2009, 08:41 PM   #26
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraMagneticAL View Post
what's so good about norcal? just wondering? i moved up there now and i hate it. SoCal >>>>>> NorCal. we have disneyland, knotts, 6 flags, universal studios, beaches, snowboarding, the desert all within 1.5 hrs of each other in Socal...and lots more twisties...and EVERYONE does 80+ on the freeways...the peeps in norcal like to drive 55. traffic in SoCal is because of congestion. traffic in Norcal is cuz slow drivers make walls of cars....which is more frustrating. plus from SoCal we can do turn-around Vegas trips.

oh and ps...here's where i've been driving up north
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...08647&t=h&z=12
Redwood Road is sweet man.

Now, I'm going to rant about SoCal from the perspective of someone who drives there and back 1-2 times a month:

NorCal roads aren't much to brag about right now due to heavy construction, but at least they are better than the POS broken streets down in SoCal. Getting anywhere in LA is an absolute nightmare. Traffic here is basically nonexistent compared to traffic there. I think I can average about 8mph per hour on the street and maybe 11mph on the freeway in LA. In NorCal, I can comfortably average 35mph on the street and at least 50mph on the freeways. When our traffic is congested, we are at least still moving. In LA, you might as well pitch a tent. And when traffic does get moving, you'd better hope that A) you have an extensive clear bra or B) your car is a POS and you don't care, because even if it doesn't rain water down there, it sure does rain rocks on the 405!

Also, SoCal is ridiculously fake and ghetto compared to NorCal. Sure, there's less fun stuff to do here, but then again there are fewer people out to kill, rape, or rob you here as well. LA's a nice place to visit but a horrible place to live. Once you are in a relationship where you are getting some regularly anyways, there's no point in living in a place like LA to deal with the fake broads, predatory/rapist guys, bad air, bad traffic, bad roads, and criminals. Sure, there are some gems in LA, but generally, I wouldn't want to live there let alone own a nice car there.

And don't get me started on the meter maids and valet parking scam artists...

I feel like the only good things that come out of LA are movies and the fact that their ports are responsible for bringing our BMW's into the country. What else is that place good for? Nothing... the real value creation is elsewhere! LA is just a consumption mecca where people make a living selling repossessed stuff to people who are just going to get it repossessed again.

Oh and did I forget to mention our TRACKS? Laguna Seca, Sears Point, and Thunderhill >>>>>>>>>> California Speedway, Buttonwillow, and Willow Springs.

Last edited by smmmurf; 11-24-2009 at 09:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 08:38 AM   #27
UltraMagneticAL
Meh
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
actually, the twisties down in SoCal are better maintained...and there's less traffic....and there's more of them. i'll give you the tracks...are better, but you're not on the tracks every day, and a road trip is always possible for a weekend at the track.

oh and oakland has a higher crime rate than LA....just sayin.

also LA has less hippies. my m3 got keyed by some prius green activist in the Bay.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 01:20 PM   #28
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraMagneticAL View Post
actually, the twisties down in SoCal are better maintained...and there's less traffic....and there's more of them. i'll give you the tracks...are better, but you're not on the tracks every day, and a road trip is always possible for a weekend at the track.

oh and oakland has a higher crime rate than LA....just sayin.

also LA has less hippies. my m3 got keyed by some prius green activist in the Bay.
How'd a Prius driver key your car? They have rectangular Smart Keys.

LA has some nice twisties and the cops don't care as much there (even though they do enforce on Stunt Rd. and other places more often than I'd like). Regardless, I'd take the tracks over the twisties. You should really give the coastal twities a chance, though. We have some nice ones in the hills of the South Bay and Redwood City areas. Run recon and radar, though.

I hear you on Oakland. The bad parts of Oakland (i.e., everything but the hills) suck. It's a little piece of Compton in NorCal. Union City and Hayward aren't the greatest, either. However, the South Bay and the North Bay tend to be pretty nice. Further East (Pleasanton/Dublin/Livermore) isn't too shabby, either. In the end, though, I'd rather deal with angry hippies with a key than an <insert type of gangster here> and all of his buddies armed with baseball bats, knives, and unlicensed guns.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 04:29 PM   #29
ea337
Rep
Drives: 09 S5 Phantom Black

If you're near Sac, I would recommend Salmon Falls
Short clip
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 04:49 PM   #30
UltraMagneticAL
Meh
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by smmmurf View Post
How'd a Prius driver key your car? They have rectangular Smart Keys.

I'd rather deal with angry hippies with a key than an <insert type of gangster here> and all of his buddies armed with baseball bats, knives, and unlicensed guns.
they used the key from their bike locker? lol

oh, and i was part of that "insert minority type gangster" w/ bats, knives and unlicensed guns back in my high school days. lol

haha but whateverss...different strokes for different folks. just wanted to know why people love NorCal so much. but i'm always gonna be the dude that reps LA!!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 06:43 PM   #31
mexicanmike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E93 Jerez Black

Better Drive in YouR Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
Here's the ultimate drive for twisties and lonely roads around my house.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,0.527687&z=12
Some not bad roads, but I like Canada from MH to the deep parts of gilroy. No one out there, and the view is great. Also try the cutback road from Bailey that leads to Silver creek Estates in SJ, not a bad little drive.
Appreciate 0