BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-28-2006, 01:11 PM   #1
eldo33
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325i B. Red/Terra

Garage List
2006 325i  [8.00]
Got my first f&^% tix on e90

this happened yesterday and I thought that I was being profile for it.... an asian guys in a nice rich white neighborhood.

I was going to my friends house in a residental area and got pulled over. My front and passenger windows are tinted at 35% but they were both all the way down before I got pull over. Anyway, this cop pulled me over and so I asked what was the problem...he was like studderling and said your window was illegal tinted. I was thinking to myself...how would he know that. So then he asked for my license and it was in the back so I had to get out and go to the trunk. Once I opened the door, he just rolled up my window halfway, then he walked to the front and I had no license plate so then he asked where it was, I said at home. Then he looked at my left turn signal and asked to turn it on. He said it's illegal to have blue signals, I said they weren't. They were clear signals.

So anyhow...to the point of how I thought I was being profile. When he first looked at my driver license, he was like...do you still live on that street and city...I gave him the look and said yah. (See where I live is a nice gated community in the hills and where I got pulled over which was 30 mins away also was the same area) then he asked for my insurance. After he got the card, he was like..is this car register to you? I thought to myself..mm...he had my driver license with my picture and my ins. card...why would he asked that? Could it be cuz I'm a young looking asian driving a nice bimmer? I wasn't happy...but I said uhh..yah. When he was writing up the tix, he came to me and asked what color was my car....i was like you can put it burgundy or something. he asked what the dealer calls it? I was like...something red...i dunno.
Then I told him why he didn't pulled over the black 911 behind me a few blocks early for the same violations? He was like...what porsche? I was mad as hell but didn't want to make a fuzz about it. :mad:
There was a 911 with the same violations as mine cuz I saw it on the street few blocks earlier. anyway..sorry for the long post...i'm still mad thinking about it and just had to write this out.

This was in Roseville, CA btw. I've been to this area so many times and never had a problem till now.

2013 E350 - Wife
2013 GLK 4Matic - The Family
2006 BMW E90 325i - Self
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2006, 01:32 PM   #2
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

Blue turns, illegal. If it looks blue to him, what are you going to do about it? That's why people don't like super white turn signals.

About the tint, that's your fault. You live in CA - you should know that tints are illegal for the windshield and the fronts.

No license plate up front - that's only if the cop is in a bad attitude and looks like your attitude didn't make things any better for him.

You can be insured and have a drivers licence and not have the vehicle registered under you - he's just following the protocol.

In my opinion, had you lightened up a little bit things would have been a bit better for you.

Ouch on the bust, though.
      04-28-2006, 05:08 PM   #3
aphall
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i rec'd 2/17/06

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Lighten up squawks, a bunch of us here have tinted windws up front and no front license plate. The cop was just trying to fill his quota or had nothing better to do. I dunno about racial profiling though el do33, pulling the race card on this one could be hard. One time, I came out of a underground parking structure in my old Honda Civic, and it was dusk but I didn't turn my headlights on. An LAPD officer pulled me over and said he was following me for a while and was hoping I'd turn on my lights. Instead, he decided I had driven far enough and pulled me over for driving without my lights on. Ridiculous... I mean, couldn't he just pull up next to me and say, "Please turn on your lights."

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2006, 05:11 PM   #4
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

you should've offered him a dozen donuts......and he'll be on his way!
      04-28-2006, 05:17 PM   #5
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphall
Lighten up squawks, a bunch of us here have tinted windws up front and no front license plate.
That's my point. If you are courteous, most likely the cop wouldn't care too much. Hell, you can even get away - most of my well-mannered homies get pulled over and the cop tells them "damn, you pulled over the freeway so smoothly, I'm just going to let you go".

EDIT: I mentioned tints are illegal simply because they are - because the OP sounded a little confused why he got ticketed due to his tints.

EDIT EDIT: I don't know if it depends on the county, but cops usually won't approach your car if your windows are down - they'll tell you to roll them up before they approach you - probably because they don't want you to cap them. So roll up your windows, keep your hands on the wheel, and look straight ahead. Don't roll them down, have the music still on blast, and keep one hand in your sweater pocket and you're just disrespectin'.
      04-28-2006, 05:50 PM   #6
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

that's profiling and profiling is wrong,

they were pulling over every car on that particular sidewalk

enough ron white,

but

if you're acting like a punk, you're going to get treated like a punk. End of story
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2006, 06:01 PM   #7
findtom
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E60 545i

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
That sucks... but it sounds like between the tints, the turn signals and the front plate you had just about every flag out to get pulled over.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2006, 06:16 PM   #8
rchanou
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325i Jet Black

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
i hate cops.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2006, 07:06 PM   #9
shragon
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

that sucks. 3 weeks ago i got pulled over two blocks from house for going 55 in a 50.
      04-28-2006, 09:54 PM   #10
aphall
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawks
That's my point. If you are courteous, most likely the cop wouldn't care too much. Hell, you can even get away - most of my well-mannered homies get pulled over and the cop tells them "damn, you pulled over the freeway so smoothly, I'm just going to let you go".

EDIT: I mentioned tints are illegal simply because they are - because the OP sounded a little confused why he got ticketed due to his tints.

EDIT EDIT: I don't know if it depends on the county, but cops usually won't approach your car if your windows are down - they'll tell you to roll them up before they approach you - probably because they don't want you to cap them. So roll up your windows, keep your hands on the wheel, and look straight ahead. Don't roll them down, have the music still on blast, and keep one hand in your sweater pocket and you're just disrespectin'.
I think I read his post and I took away a different interpretation. I thought he was complicit, but maybe a little smart with the question about the 911 down the road. Oh, and I thought you should roll down your windows so that you don't get ANOTHER ticket for illegal tint (assuming you were speeding or something). Being courteous is key though, I remember on Thanksgiving one year I was hauling down a street at 55 in a 35 zone and LAPD pulls me over and goes...
"You know how fast you were going?"
I say, "Umm... 45?".
He goes, "How about you don't lie to me and I won't write you a ticket."
I say, "55?"
He goes, "Have a Happy Thanksgiving."

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2006, 09:58 PM   #11
aphall
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethirtynine
Did you get a ticket?
Yes, and I said, "Is this a moving violation????" He goes, "Unfortunately, it is.." I tried to tell him that I was looking for the freeway and asked him which way it was... he just pointed and said dryly, "That way."

It was such a ridiculous ticket that it didn't even affect my insurance. I had already used my driving school to get rid of my speeding ticket. So this one showed up on my record. Lame.

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2006, 02:24 AM   #12
eldo33
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325i B. Red/Terra

Garage List
2006 325i  [8.00]
Maybe I wasn't being cleared enough....I didn't say anything to him out of the ordinary. I was being courteous and asked what the problem was. I was going below 25mph in residental area. I didn't have my music blasting off with these OEM speakers. I didn't make a mark or give him a ugly look that made him write me a ticket.

The first thing he asked was my DL, then he didn't even said what he pulled me over for until I said that I had to get out of the car to get the DL. My windows were down for 15 mins before I saw him and even before he pulled me over. I know the tint were illegal but my point was that my windows weren't up at the time. I only made the 911 comment after he GAVE me the ticket to sign.

I had never acted like punk in my life. At the time I was pulled over, I just got out of the gym and still had my basketball short and shirt on. He might have thought I was a punk for driving a bimmer.

2013 E350 - Wife
2013 GLK 4Matic - The Family
2006 BMW E90 325i - Self
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2006, 03:58 PM   #13
aphall
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Yeah, that doesn't sound right. Probably thought you looked too young to drive a BMW, and just thought he should fill his quota for the day. Some cops have nothing better to do. Besides, safer to pull over a young asian kid. Just bad luck.... wrong cop, wrong day, wrong place and time...

Appreciate 0