BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

07-07-2007, 09:20 AM   #1
I'm takin' the day off.
South Africa
Rep
Drives: M

BMW is playing catch-up. The time to panic is now!

As an ex-die hard BMW M fan I have just returned from my neighbourhood Mercedes dealer and placed an order for the new C63. BMW is playing us all for a fool, at least AMG is honest and what you see is what you get. Hell! The CSL is what the M3 should be period!

Comments?
      07-07-2007, 09:26 AM   #2
brandonlowe
Private
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 M3

I still think that as soon as we take that first ride in this car and rev it to 8400rpm, everything will be fine. I don't want an automatic Mercedes, though I think the AMG styling is great and less controversial. I love the Audi RS4interior, but not the nose.I think the M5 and M3 interiors are less than what they should be ,but the M3 or M5 are great engine cars with good driver involvement and that is what counts most for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2007, 09:28 AM   #3
MisterBMW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 888 View Post
As an ex-die hard BMW M fan I have just returned from my neighbourhood Mercedes dealer and placed an order for the new C63. BMW is playing us all for a fool, at least AMG is honest and what you see is what you get. Hell! The CSL is what the M3 should be period!

Comments?

As an ex-die hard AMG fan I have just returned from my neighbourhood BMW dealer and placed an order for the new ///M3.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2007, 09:37 AM   #4
I'm takin' the day off.
South Africa
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBMW View Post
As an ex-die hard AMG fan I have just returned from my neighbourhood BMW dealer and placed an order for the new ///M3.
nice one. but why cant BMW be true to us. The press cars where all fitted with better brake pads for single hot laps. BMW could also give us more power and better handling but they won't as they have the CSL coming.
      07-07-2007, 09:38 AM   #5
Steved
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CSL, AMG ML63, B7 RS4 Avant

Quote:
BMW is playing us all for a fool, at least AMG is honest and what you see is what you get.

Comments?
The engineers at BMW M GmbH in Munich have my sympathies, they work hard produce an excellent car and then a customer who hasn't even seen or heard it decides it is useless.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2007, 09:49 AM   #6
2002 Tii
Private
Rep
Drives: Cooper S JCW

I do think that BMW left a few holes in the M3's game, but I don't think that is the entire picture.
For one thing the E46 was SO much ahead of it's time and competition when it came out it took every one by surprise and in my opinion it is destined to become one of the greatest engines ever produced along with the 360 Modena that entirely changed Ferrari for the years ahead.
The other problem is that other manufacturers became very good at perfecting their product, consider the new C63, apparently they got it all right this time. The new RS5 will surely be a beast after all Audi will aim to make it considerably better than the RS4, no slouch in it's own rights. As an M3 fan there is room for dissapointment, as a car enthusiast it's happy days.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2007, 09:56 AM   #7
monsta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steved View Post
The engineers at BMW M GmbH in Munich have my sympathies, they work hard produce an excellent car and then a customer who hasn't even seen or heard it decides it is useless.
+1
I too feel the same way, I can't come to grips with the fact that so many people make these drastic decisions without having any hands on experience...if you like the C63 thats fine with me but what happens when you get into the AMG & it doesn't live up to what you truely desire who's being fooled then? It may just be its the AMG be the best car you've ever driven, but like I said until you drive the M3 how can you just put it down, it may lose out on paper or someone (mags) review, but what about the way you feel when your behind the wheel...I read reviews & take them into consideration as well as their test drives, but I make my choices for me not for someone else

'08 E92 M3 6MT | IB | FR | RAC RG63's | VRS Ti Exhaust | Fabspeed HFC & Xpipe
'09 X5 35d SG/SB
'11 X3 28i AW/CN/FW (wife's car
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2007, 09:57 AM   #8
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:

Comments?
Any you've done what you've done because you've driven the M3? Is that how you make your purchasing decisions in general?

Last edited by lucid; 07-07-2007 at 10:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2007, 10:16 AM   #9
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: *

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsta View Post
+1
I too feel the same way, I can't come to grips with the fact that so many people make these drastic decisions without having any hands on experience...if you like the C63 thats fine with me but what happens when you get into the AMG & it doesn't live up to what you truely desire who's being fooled then? It may just be its the AMG be the best car you've ever driven, but like I said until you drive the M3 how can you just put it down, it may lose out on paper or someone (mags) review, but what about the way you feel when your behind the wheel...I read reviews & take them into consideration as well as their test drives, but I make my choices for me not for someone else
I pretty much agree with everything here. Especially about making your own choices. Magazines always disagree on the same car. Jeremy Clarkston said the RS4 hammers the M3 but I seen someone on this forum complaining about EVERYTHING in the RS4. So really you should wait and test drive both of the cars. Maybe the C63 will still be your choice, but you should wait to be sure...
      07-07-2007, 11:05 AM   #10
2002 Tii
Private
Rep
Drives: Cooper S JCW

Its true that up to this point we are making judgments based on reviews of Auto magazines, some of which are good at what they do others not so. Ultimately the consumer has to decide for himself, no question about that. Tha't why I didn't run down to my local BMW dealer and put down a deposit without experiencing the car, actually I did but got it back later
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2007, 11:27 AM   #11
ILC32
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1993 Porsche RSA

Quote:
Comments?
Good for you. Enjoy the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2007, 11:33 AM   #12
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
it does seem like BMW purposely restrained the new M3 in anticipation of creating a CSL, but we can talk about that when it comes out 3 years from now.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2007, 11:40 AM   #13
RussianM3_dude
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: B7 Audi RS4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hks786 View Post
I pretty much agree with everything here. Especially about making your own choices. Magazines always disagree on the same car. Jeremy Clarkston said the RS4 hammers the M3 but I seen someone on this forum complaining about EVERYTHING in the RS4. So really you should wait and test drive both of the cars. Maybe the C63 will still be your choice, but you should wait to be sure...

That would be me. I think the RS4 is one of the most overhyped cars ever.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2007, 11:49 AM   #14
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
nice one. but why cant BMW be true to us. The press cars where all fitted with better brake pads for single hot laps. BMW could also give us more power and better handling but they won't as they have the CSL coming.
Be honest with yourself here.

If you genuinely consider the C63 a suitable alternative to an E92 M3, then would these illeged slightly-worse (or whatever) break pads on the production car even had made one ounce of difference to you? Unless you are just buying the car to brag about the spec sheet and magazine text numbers, who really gives a rats ass what break pads ship on the f'ing car?

The C63 is nice though and I am sure you will enjoy it. Just like last generation it has about 10-15% more power than the M3, and a butt-load more peak torque. I'd still take the M3 every single time, but that's just me.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2007, 12:01 PM   #15
///Murdock
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 M5, 04 M3

traitor.. enjoy ur automatic hahaha :fairy:
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2007, 12:24 PM   #16
MI6
The World is Not Enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Aston DBS-R

My bet is................ once the CSL comes out he'll be the first one in line.......

Until then, enjoy your C63 with its Fisher-Price steering wheel.....
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2007, 12:53 PM   #17
The CSL
For the love of ///M3
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Peugeot 306 XSI 16v

What are we supposed to do though, Steved? Yours is seemingly the only positive report out of all of them and the opinion of someone such as Steve Sutcliffe is going to carry a lot of weight amongst enthusiasts. If his was the only one who mentioned muted steering, then it would be easy to write off, but many of them are saying the same thing and Adam Towler has been the most damning, for Pistonheads.
      07-07-2007, 01:57 PM   #18
swiss_cornholio
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: E92 DTC M3 (AW/PS)

Quote:

Comments?
You might be right about this one, but that's what ALL car manufacturers do. Also Mercedes sells different cars with the same engine but different power outputs. That's marketing. You can't sell an M5 if the M3 outperforms it AND is also much cheaper. Even if the M3 will be the fastest M, the spec sheets read:
0-100kmh:
M3: 4.8s
M5: 4.7s
M6: 4.6s

Either you accept this little game or you don't buy a perf car.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2007, 02:03 PM   #19
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:

Comments?
I think there is more than meets the eye for the new M. Consider waiting until both cars are out to make the decision?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2007, 02:09 PM   #20
Davo2003
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe Jerez and loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Murdock View Post
traitor.. enjoy ur automatic hahaha :fairy:
+1
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2007, 02:19 PM   #21
RussianM3_dude
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: B7 Audi RS4

I think the competition is MUCH stronger this time round, but BMW have not stepped up their game accordingly. It is no longer such a clear and shut case as to which car to buy if you are a driving enthusiast.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2007, 02:54 PM   #22
Hans Delbruck
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63, 135i, Evo FE, GLE63

LOL, these kinds of threads are going to get old really fast. Like by Monday.....
Appreciate 0