BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

Mporium BMW

11-30-2007, 10:39 PM   #1
gadget
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92///M SSII DCT

Q's on EU Delivery

I've noticed that all the Euro customers pics of the E92 M3 found on this forum have the front license plate. In the US many cars, specially nice cars don't have plates up front. Each state has different regulations. In Ohio they are mandatory but the police can't pull you over for not having a front plate. Most BMW, MB etc owners in Ohio don't put plates up front giving the car a cleaner look.

So if I take the EU deliver will BMW mount plates on the front. I don't want any holes in my front bumper. How have other customers handled this in thier EU delivery
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2007, 08:45 AM   #2
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

bottomline is that if you are planning to drive the car in germany you have to have front and rear plates. its not something like how it is in CA where the law says you have to have them, but you can get away with it. when i got my car in munich the plate mount was already drilled into the bumper, but i didn't request otherwise. i don't really think you can avoid it unless you can convince them that you'll use strong double sided tape or something.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2007, 09:07 AM   #3
///MArdor
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

It would be nice if the US would adopt the Euro plates. So much easier to read and they look nicer. Then I wouldnt mind having a front plate either. Of course there are so many freaking people here.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2007, 10:01 AM   #4
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MArdor View Post
It would be nice if the US would adopt the Euro plates. So much easier to read and they look nicer. Then I wouldnt mind having a front plate either.
Agree--much nicer proportions, especially for the front.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2007, 10:05 AM   #5
Alumac
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: prudently

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget View Post
I've noticed that all the Euro customers pics of the E92 M3 found on this forum have the front license plate. In the US many cars, specially nice cars don't have plates up front. Each state has different regulations. In Ohio they are mandatory but the police can't pull you over for not having a front plate. Most BMW, MB etc owners in Ohio don't put plates up front giving the car a cleaner look.

So if I take the EU deliver will BMW mount plates on the front. I don't want any holes in my front bumper. How have other customers handled this in thier EU delivery
No way around it if you euro deliver.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2007, 11:15 AM   #6
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MArdor View Post
It would be nice if the US would adopt the Euro plates. So much easier to read and they look nicer. Then I wouldnt mind having a front plate either. Of course there are so many freaking people here.
don't think that too many people would be an issue. in germany the plates are issued by each city in each "state" so there really are a lot of possibilities. with a little tweaking i'm sure the States could work it out. i agree that it would be such a better solution. some state plates are downright hideous.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2007, 11:23 AM   #7
CSL-Fanatik
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e46 M3, e46 M3 CSL

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
I don't know if you guys knew this, but it is totally legal to have
European looking License Plates in the US. My friend has Euro Plates in front and back on his S60R, and it's no problem.
Maybe after you do EU Delivery, you just get EU plates!

Best regards,

CSL
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2007, 11:54 AM   #8
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSL-Fanatik View Post
European looking License Plates in the US. My friend has Euro Plates in front and back on his S60R, and it's no problem.
I think that depends on the state. I was ticketed in CA for not having a front plate (and doing 90).
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2007, 12:08 PM   #9
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Euro plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSL-Fanatik View Post
Maybe after you do EU Delivery, you just get EU plates!
Most states give you a month or two to switch over, but you cannot use them indefinitely.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2007, 03:10 PM   #10
TheBry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 G12 750i xDrive

Another Q on European Delivery

I have another question I'd like to add to this thread for discussion by the group. Those of you who've read my other posts know that I'm holding out for the E93 M3 to be announced before I place an order. When I do order, I plan to take advantage of the European Delivery program.

How are options that are not typically factory installed (iPod connector? Others?) handled for European Delivery customers? When I take delivery, will there be a hole, for example, where my iPod connector would be?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2007, 07:42 PM   #11
OC ///M
Dr. Octagon
United_States
Rep
Drives: Moonstone e92 M3

I know of people that arrange at the time of order through the local dealer to have the holes from the front Euro plate filled by the BMW body shop prior to pick-up of the vehicle.

In that same spirit, I believe they have a final assembly stage or PDI that is done whereby after arrival at port and before you p/u from the $tealer the vehicle is prepped fitted w/ipod adapters, etc...

2013 E92 M3 Individual
Sold: 2011 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Into a Wall: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2007 E92 335i JB
Appreciate 0