BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

02-08-2012, 08:32 PM   #1
Rekrul
Captain
Rep
Drives: 19 M5 Comp, 16 GT3RS

Is there a benefit to going with a tune? Besides the obvious?

I mean obviously if you are cat less you are going to maximize your power gain and its going to be smoother,but for those under warranty who are a bit paranoid (IE me ).. I can't really justify a tune for simply just a full exhaust. I mean the tune is essentially doing what the Delete R does for the cel. SO really the only advantage is maybe a gain of 10whp? vs just going catless + Delete R.

How do you chaps who went with one, not worry about warranty issues? I'm assuming you dont. IE if something goes wrong with my motor and I'm simply catless + exhaust it would be very hard for the dealer to blame those mods on something engine related vs someone who has software... I feel like the risk is not worth the reward. Thoughts? I mean if you're out of warranty this would be a no brainer.... thats obvious.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 08:44 PM   #2
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

If you catless, you've opened the door for them to blame the exhaust. I know it's BS but they'll use it as a reason to deny coverage.

Another advantage is the damn start up noise. IMO
Some like it.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 10:16 PM   #3
Rekrul
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
If you catless, you've opened the door for them to blame the exhaust. I know it's BS but they'll use it as a reason to deny coverage.

Another advantage is the damn start up noise. IMO
Some like it.
Hmm you think? I feel like that would be quite a stretch to blame engine failure on something that has no direct input on the engine in anyway... simply exhaust exiting. Whereas with a tune.. I mean they would have a very easy time making a case.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 10:17 PM   #4
Rekrul
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
In terms of warranty I'm not too worried about my full exhaust...
You bastard.... lol
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 08:50 AM   #5
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
As long as you have a good SA, you'll probably be ok. The tunes out there aren't gonna harm your car.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 08:59 AM   #6
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

You can easily switch program files using the OBD-II based connectors these days and reflash your stock tune anytime you would like for any reason.

This applies to many different brands of tunes now. I know evolve and ess use this system, I am not sure about others.
      02-09-2012, 09:00 AM   #7
THE TECH
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
You can easily switch program files using the OBD-II based connectors these days and reflash your stock tune anytime you would like for any reason.

This applies to many different brands of tunes now. I know evolve and ess use this system, I am not sure about others.
True but many leave an imprint of having been there. So while you think you are getting away with something, you really aren't.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 09:14 AM   #8
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
True but many leave an imprint of having been there. So while you think you are getting away with something, you really aren't.
As far as I know, this is specuation and has never been proved true or false.

I dont think its a good idea to get away with anything with a dealer. they start looking hard enough, they may be able to find something.

Previous cars of mine have had flash tunes and when removed and brought to the dealer for software updates and other scans (non warranty related work, no engine issues or warranty claims), there was no detection or comments from my dealer at all.

Just an FYI
      02-09-2012, 09:21 AM   #9
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep
Drives: E46 + E90 + F80

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
My personal opinion is that if you get a tune from a very reputable and experienced tuner, you will not be imposing any harm on your engine. As mentioned before, if you have a pretty good relationship with your SA, then typically they won't give you a hard time.

On the MSS65 DME, the biggest red flag that you have gotten any sort of tune is if you have raised the rev limiter and surpassed it. I think the safest way to get a tune is to just keep the stock rev limiter for the time being. Typically, the technicians at the dealer will not delve in the maps of the DME to find traces of a tune.

With the pricing of the Akrapovic delete-R, I'd rather just use that towards a tune that gives you more power, makes the driving experience a tad better, and actually makes your car run more efficiently.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 10:55 AM   #10
Rekrul
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipm3 View Post
My personal opinion is that if you get a tune from a very reputable and experienced tuner, you will not be imposing any harm on your engine. As mentioned before, if you have a pretty good relationship with your SA, then typically they won't give you a hard time.

On the MSS65 DME, the biggest red flag that you have gotten any sort of tune is if you have raised the rev limiter and surpassed it. I think the safest way to get a tune is to just keep the stock rev limiter for the time being. Typically, the technicians at the dealer will not delve in the maps of the DME to find traces of a tune.

With the pricing of the Akrapovic delete-R, I'd rather just use that towards a tune that gives you more power, makes the driving experience a tad better, and actually makes your car run more efficiently.
Yeah I mean I think a tune from say ESS or Evolve, would be great and would make things run smoother. I'm just a bit paranoid. I feel like anything engine related.. BMW would look hard enough and they would easily have an out if you had a tune vs something like the delete R... which leaves no traces for sure. I mean do you think BMW would give you as hard of a time if you just were cat less if something blew up? I think they would really have to press the matter.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #11
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep
Drives: E46 + E90 + F80

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekrul View Post
Yeah I mean I think a tune from say ESS or Evolve, would be great and would make things run smoother. I'm just a bit paranoid. I feel like anything engine related.. BMW would look hard enough and they would easily have an out if you had a tune vs something like the delete R... which leaves no traces for sure. I mean do you think BMW would give you as hard of a time if you just were cat less if something blew up? I think they would really have to press the matter.
Well the chances of your engine blowing up are pretty low. I agree with you that BMW will probably try to point the finger at you as much as possible, but at the same time, you never know.

It's funny reading some of the stuff the dealers write on your service workout if your car is modified. But in my years of owning both the E46 M3 and E90 M3, I haven't had any problems. Then again, my dealer used to be the biggest Midwest Dinan dealer and built some crazy E36 M3s back in the day. So they are a little more friendly towards modified cars.

As many of us said, try to develop a strong relationship with your SA and Dealer and they'll do everything to take care of you.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 11:04 AM   #12
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

If you're that worried about warranty issues you should just not mod your car until the warranty is up. Depending on your dealer, anything that is not OEM could be grounds for voiding a portion of your warranty.

I've had my Evolve tune on an otherwise stock car for about 2 months now. I have noticed a slight increase in MPG since I've had it. Notice about a 10% increase in total miles on a full tank compared to the OEM tune. 10% is not something that would make me jump at it but its still great to get optentially more power plus increase MPG.
      02-09-2012, 01:26 PM   #13
Rekrul
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipm3 View Post
Well the chances of your engine blowing up are pretty low. I agree with you that BMW will probably try to point the finger at you as much as possible, but at the same time, you never know.

It's funny reading some of the stuff the dealers write on your service workout if your car is modified. But in my years of owning both the E46 M3 and E90 M3, I haven't had any problems. Then again, my dealer used to be the biggest Midwest Dinan dealer and built some crazy E36 M3s back in the day. So they are a little more friendly towards modified cars.

As many of us said, try to develop a strong relationship with your SA and Dealer and they'll do everything to take care of you.
Yeah. Luckily my SA and dealer aren't dicks. I'm just uber paranoid lol. Increased mph too? Damn.

I guess if I got a tune I wouldn't want the vanos tampered with. Simply delete the cat code and smooth out the AFR, and I'd be happy. I think upping the rev limit and top speed probably are red flags in the 'shadow memory'.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 03:03 PM   #14
Taz@Evolve. P
Rep

Drives: Quick enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
If you're that worried about warranty issues you should just not mod your car until the warranty is up. Depending on your dealer, anything that is not OEM could be grounds for voiding a portion of your warranty.

I've had my Evolve tune on an otherwise stock car for about 2 months now. I have noticed a slight increase in MPG since I've had it. Notice about a 10% increase in total miles on a full tank compared to the OEM tune. 10% is not something that would make me jump at it but its still great to get optentially more power plus increase MPG.
Good to hear
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 04:50 PM   #15
Rekrul
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post

I agree. For example, I'm not counting on the dealer to repair anything related to exhaust components... if I have aftermarket exhaust components. There would be no way for them to apply that to the engine however. Whereas with a tune... that would be an easy correlate.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 10:11 PM   #16
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
In terms of warranty I'm not too worried about my full exhaust...

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
As long as you have a good SA, you'll probably be ok. The tunes out there aren't gonna harm your car.
+1 !
some dealers are mod friendly than others,but its not like they are going to void your warranty cause of a catless sound system.they have to prove that the sound system cause the motor to fail and thats a long road to prove such a thing.
NA tune is not really visible in the ECU unless your car is hooked up to the server and it shows that your rev limiter has been raised to 8600rpm,that would raise a flag,there next step would be getting the code of your car and send it to Germany or engineering which they will confirm that its a tune.i also doubt that if you have a reversible tune that it would be a problem switching back to stock before rolling into the dealer.

Last edited by IMG; 02-09-2012 at 10:17 PM..
Appreciate 0