BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

10-19-2010, 07:18 PM   #133
BMWCadet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 MR M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC ///M View Post
south:
We all knew it was coming, like a dark, wet, torrential storm signals the change of seasons- BMW will be homoginizing the M3 and eliminating the last of the high-reving n/a motors.

This is enough in and of itself to give pause to us all, but if BMW decides to cut the MT from the F3x M3, two things are sure to happen;
1) They'll have lost me, my family, and all of my future children as customers.2) I'll be keeping my '11 forever.

P.S. Hasn't all of the recent scientific studies which de-bunk the man-made climate change theory penetrated the walls of the lawmakers yet?
LOL get a life. "your future children"? Does your grandfather influence the car you want to buy? Come on.

I dont know why people are so shocked, the death of the manual transmission is inevitable. People need to also get used to F/I'd engines because i'm not sure where you plan on going. Mercedes is doing the same thing. Audi maybe?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 08:04 PM   #134
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Good info and discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jworms View Post
i'm getting more and more excited for the new M3. though what i'm most interested in hearing about is the weight of the car.
+1. However my biggest hope is simply lighter than the existing M3. We will be able to arrive at a highly certain conclusion once we have the basic exterior dimensions of the new base 3 series. Larger than the E92 and that will mean almost for sure that new M3 will be heavier than the existing one. Unfortunately, if 450 hp is "the" number, the car can get heavier and still outperform the existing model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor J View Post
Hell even Porsche purists admit the PDK shifts faster and better and gets better fuel economy than the manual transmission. I think the MT is going to be a very small % of Porsche future sales too -- and as soon as that happens the bean counters will kill it.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan135 View Post
I think the debate over 6MT or DCT is really pointless. If speed is your primary concern, DCT is the answer. If you want to enjoy the car more and have greater control use a 6MT. To each his own...
Yet you jump right in to the debate. I agree with the part about speed, however, I vehemently disagree with the "enjoy" and "control" statement. Enjoy is up to each person to decide, however control is a bit ambiguous. Manually pushing a clutch pedal and rowing the stick means more manual operations but does not mean more control per se. It certainly does not mean more precision nor more speed of the actual shift. If you think feathering the clutch is the ultimate in control that you need then yes, maybe you have more control...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironring Racing View Post
Yeah, I pretty much covered all of that when I said that net of ENGINE (and BODY PANELS ) it's s simple SUSPENSION swap to basically turn a 335 into an M3.

Engine-Check
DCT-I drive a manual
Body Panels-Check
Suspension-Check

Wow, just let it go!
I was just about to post a littany of key things you've missed. Since the linked document South provided might not be as concise let's make a short list of the key things you've missed:

-Brakes
-Wheels
-Tires
-Seats
-Sport mode traction/stability control system
-Differential

Add these to your list and keep in mind a major part of the unibody is different as well and you have a pretty enormous difference.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 08:07 PM   #135
Poofyo101
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
1990 BMW M3  [0.00]
hopefully manuals will still be around then.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderz17 View Post
Well, I'm confused because the pencil/typewriter analogy seems to imply the exact opposite. The old technology (pencil) is still around while the new technology (typewriter) was eventually replaced by something newer.

So by that analogy, in 50 years, many people will be driving some new-fangled transmission that shifts gears in some way that I can't even comprehend while a healthy percentage will still be driving a plain ole manual.
      10-19-2010, 08:45 PM   #136
///Mangler
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 Darth Vader Trackcar

Garage List
2000 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
I was just about to post a littany of key things you've missed. Since the linked document South provided might not be as concise let's make a short list of the key things you've missed:

-Brakes
-Wheels
-Tires
-Seats
-Sport mode traction/stability control system
-Differential

Add these to your list and keep in mind a major part of the unibody is different as well and you have a pretty enormous difference.
Front and rear subframes, steering box.....packaged tuning......

T
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 09:12 PM   #137
OC ///M
Dr. Octagon
United_States
Rep
Drives: Moonstone e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCadet View Post
LOL get a life. "your future children"? Does your grandfather influence the car you want to buy? Come on.
It was a joke, just like keeping it "forever".

I forgot I needed to include smileys and LOL's with this group...

2013 E92 M3 Individual
Sold: 2011 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Into a Wall: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2007 E92 335i JB
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 09:27 PM   #138
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
If they're going with a tri-turbo stroker N55, I'll be really interested to see how they handle the cooling issue.

Anyway, good discussion. All great cars. Hope the F30 M they produce is a fast, light, fun (manual ) car!
Yes, the cooling question is a good one. That has to be addressed as it's the N54's biggest weakness outside the HPFP.

Lightness. This is such a huge area with many benefits. I really hope BMW gets on board with making progress in this area rather than going bigger and fatter. DCT only or not, FI or not, if the engine performs well, has good dynamics (although 8,000+ RPM is just hard to give up--I do miss that from the S65), and doesn't suffer from HPFP disease I would be happy to keep an open mind about the new M3 (or any BMW) if they worked to reduce weight. If not, well, I'm done with them.

Aside from the handling advantages there are the efficiency advantages as well as the "faster" advantages no matter what engine is in the car. I have yet to see anything, rumor or otherwise, to support the idea that BMW is committed to a diet plan for their cars (unless I missed the memo). I really hope this changes as the company has produced so many great cars.

Their competitors seem to get it. I got back from the Porsche dealer today and my SA was talking about his training session on the latest Cayenne--how they drove home the brand's decision to work towards lighter cars and means to better dynamics, lower emissions, and above all better performance. He pulled two bolts out of his desk--the old Cayenne engine mount bolt and the new one. The new one is like a feather while the old one is heavy. I'd guess the new one weighs about a 1/3 as much as the old one. Apparently going with lighter bolts cut 20 pounds just around the engine alone.

Whether this is actual "company policy" is probably debatable (I have no reason not to believe him, but I don't have "documents" so it's not proof). Nevertheless it was an interesting discussion, and the new Cayenne is 400 pounds lighter than the prior model so there is some reason to think Porsche is committed to making inroads in weight reduction as a core strategy. I wish BMW would do the same as I'd be happy to end up in a new BMW again someday if that were the case.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 02:50 AM   #139
crackberry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Carrera GTS (997.2)

so much is changing with the m division. all this change is happening so fast that its hard to swallow (thats what she said )

like what fin said, the weight issue is a concern. im sure its still up in the air (with the engine not even been decided upon) but i hope they at least cut some weight off. im surprised other companies are increasing the size of their cars and adding more features but reducing the weight. im no engineer, but i for sure can appreciate it.

im not sure how strong the carbon fiber that bmw will use in the future, but i feel like a step in the right direction is to use carbon fiber everywhere. they are already saving money from modding the n55 engine.

Quote:
P.S. Hasn't all of the recent scientific studies which de-bunk the man-made climate change theory penetrated the walls of the lawmakers yet?
with all due respect, you know nothing about this.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 05:11 AM   #140
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Seems my initial post was removed, apologies for being a smart ass...

But as was noted several times Ironring Racing, you are missing a lot, and your statement that a 335 is a simple suspension mod away from an M3 is off the wall. You should have expected a mass of flame-ish comments from that statement alone, despite your "credentials." Sorry, but everyone is a know-it-all on the internet...

Didn't expect this thread to turn into another DCT vs. 6MT debate, but it seems it has... Guys, it's a personal preference. You drive the car how YOU want to drive it. I chose a DCT because I enjoy gadgets and neat tech toys. I am sure I would have been happy with a 6MT as well, but the DCT is a blast too. Just my PERSONAL preference...
      10-20-2010, 08:06 AM   #141
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
You can increase engine capacity, both by increasing stroke, and by decreasing stroke.
Sorry, but it is simply not true. The only things that effect displacement of the engine are the stroke and the bore size.

Quote:
(The calculator you showed does not let you adjust the other items, like rod length.)
That's because the length of the rod itself does not directly effect the displacement. Instead, the length of the rod effects compression ratio (assuming stroke stays constant, and no alternation to the wrist pin location).

Quote:
(stroked)
You can increase volume (L) by using a longer crank and [even more] shorter rods
Sure, but as I said earlier, that changes the geometry of the engine. Yes, there is a range of feasible stroke lengths for a given cylinder block with a given deck height. Typically an OEM will not be as aggressive with this as an aftermarket company. They will add deck before going all aggressive with rod ratio or wrist pin height.

Quote:
(de-stroked)
You can increase volume (L) by using longer rods and [an even more] shorter crank.
No you cannot. If you decrease stroke, you decrease displacement period. The only exception is if you simultaneously increase bore enough to offset the decrease in stroke. But the BMW I6 is based around 90mm bore centers. There is not room to increase bore any significant amount.

Quote:
If BMW chooses to, they can make a turbo N55 with 3.5L and a very short stroke - without violating the head height constraints.
Not they cannot. If it were possible there would be aftermarket solutions that did just this. There may well be aftermarket I6 strokers out there, but they will have extremely high stroke/bore ratio (very undersquare). These will not be engines with properties BMW would want to build and place a warranty on.

Quote:
Essentially, 3.5L isn't all that unlikely.
3.5L is extremely unlikely with the N55 (or other current BMW I6) block.

Quote:
Agreed, Mkoesel you're just looking at increasing stroke. Somebody mentioned that they calculated that the increased displacement also couldn't be achieved with only a bore increase due to the cylinder spacing.
Did they show those calculations? If so, please link to it because I've missed it. I am extremely skeptical that it is possible. In fact, I'd bet money it is not.

Quote:
But Scheherazade is obviously right (besides the typo, I assume he means you can increase capacity both by increasing stroke and/or increasing bore).
Of course you can - I explicitly mentioned this in my post. But again, you do not have much room to work with. With a 90mm bore center and an aluminum block, the current 84mm bore is close to the limit already.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 08:19 AM   #142
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
I do applaud BMW for always being leaders with each generation of their cars.

Will be interesting to see what they come up with. All i know is that pricing better not fly into the 80k region.
      10-20-2010, 08:37 AM   #143
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
south:
We all knew it was coming, like a dark, wet, torrential storm signals the change of seasons- BMW will be homoginizing the M3 and eliminating the last of the high-reving n/a motors.

This is enough in and of itself to give pause to us all, but if BMW decides to cut the MT from the F3x M3, two things are sure to happen;
1) They'll have lost me, my family, and all of my future children as customers.
2) I'll be keeping my '11 forever.

You're insaine. Climate chage exists. It was 2 scientists hired by the oil industry to de-bunk.

Even if climate change is not true, petro will eventually run out on this planet. It is a finite resource. Your comment couldn't have been filled with any more ignorance.

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 09:24 AM   #144
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

I don't care how good it is, no manual means I'll be back in a VW/Audi, mostlikely an S4, when the time comes. DCT only is pure garbage.

And THREE turbos??? They can't even designa fuel pump to supply ONE without taking a shit. How are they going to feed a trio of them?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 09:26 AM   #145
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaron79 View Post
You're insaine. Climate chage exists. It was 2 scientists hired by the oil industry to de-bunk.

Even if climate change is not true, petro will eventually run out on this planet. It is a finite resource. Your comment couldn't have been filled with any more ignorance.
Of course climate change happens. It's been happening in cycles for millions of years. Anyone remember in the 80s when we were worried about the Earth going into an ice age? All this crap is simply to get the public up in arms and further the political agenda of the time.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 02:00 PM   #146
Ironring Racing
N54 FTW!
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
However my biggest hope is simply lighter than the existing M3.

-Brakes - Bolt on
-Wheels - Bolt on
-Tires - Bolt on
-Seats - Bolt on
-Sport mode traction/stability control system - Always off
-Differential - Bolt in

Swamp, please correct me if I'm wrong, but the unibody is the same. Everything else you list are simply bolt-on's, which was my entire point.

Again, (Beating the horse, not repost)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Yes, the cooling question is a good one. That has to be addressed as it's the N54's biggest weakness outside the HPFP.

Lightness. This is such a huge area with many benefits.
Certainly agreed, but I think you're being unfair to BMW. The 3 series has traditionally been the lightest chassis, or close, in the class. I personally think BMW has been a quiet leader in this area. the VW group (Audi, Porsche, VW) are shouting about how lightness is now a priority because they're some of the worst offenders (Merc being the worst).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
Seems my initial post was removed, apologies for being a smart ass...

But as was noted several times Ironring Racing, you are missing a lot, and your statement that a 335 is a simple suspension mod away from an M3 is off the wall. You should have expected a mass of flame-ish comments from that statement alone, despite your "credentials." Sorry, but everyone is a know-it-all on the internet.
Hey, flame suit on, it's all good. See above, but my original point is still true. The fact that a discussion of how similiar (or faster) a stock or especially tuned 335i is than an M3, IS AN OUTRAGE!!! There should be no question that the M3 is top dog, period. The number of M3's I've passed on the track is just sad, and I don't put that down to a fault of the owners, why did BMW bring out 2 cars, one called an M, that are so close in performance. Heck, it's the same M5 tranny in both, more torque out of the box, and easily tunable. The debate is over tired, but my point is that with this generation it's too close, and it appears that they're making the differences even less in the next gen.

I'm not picking on the M3, or pushing the 335. I've complemented both cars, in case you missed the math, that includes the M3. What I'm complaining about, and using the 335/M3 as my example, is the increasing trend toward the M3 not being differentiated enough from the regular 3 series. The news that the next M3 engine will be, just like the X5/6M's, just a modded regular block, instead of a unique, special M engine, just continues the trend.

What I'm saying is the same as you guys, I don't like it. I personally think there should be more of a difference, and that the M3 should be heads and shoulders above the rest of the line.

If that was the case, even the idea of this comparison would be laughable.

We all want the same thing here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Did they show those calculations? If so, please link to it because I've missed it. I am extremely skeptical that it is possible. In fact, I'd bet money it is not.
I think you misread my post, we're both agreeing a bore increase alone isn't likely.
Pure Stage 2/Vorsteiner/Supersprint/Helix V2/KW V3/Brembo/H&R Sway/Volk RE-30 + Sport Cups/Procede + Meth/AR Design + OEM Oil Coolers/M3 CF Trim/LED Steering Wheel/RIX Guage/Blacklines/GC Hybrid Camber Plates/Spec 3+ Clutch

Last edited by Ironring Racing; 10-20-2010 at 02:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 03:12 PM   #147
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think you misread my post, we're both agreeing a bore increase alone isn't likely.
You're right I did misread it - sorrry (read "could" instead of "couldn't").

In any case, though, the fact is that reaching 3.5L with a bore increase alone isn't just unlikely, its actually impossible with the current N55 (or N54, or N53, or N52, etc) block. According to the displacement calculator I linked to earlier, the minimum bore size for a 3.5L I6 that uses the 89.6mm stroke of the current 3L N55 would be 90.4mm. Obviously you cannot bore a block with 90mm bore centers to 90.4mm.

Now, it's true that both bore and stroke could be increased instead. But as I already explained, even if they increase the bore to a 86.4mm - a size seen only in the iron block 3.2L S54 - a 98.1mm stroke is required to get to 3.5L. That's still way oversquare and a stroke that long is going to make operating at even the relatively low 7000 RPM redline of other modern BMW engines a dubious task indeed.

Simply put, there's a good reason why BMW has not increased the displacement of their modern I6 beyond 3L to date. It's because it is just not practical to do so.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 03:27 PM   #148
Ironring Racing
N54 FTW!
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i 6MT

We agree.
Pure Stage 2/Vorsteiner/Supersprint/Helix V2/KW V3/Brembo/H&R Sway/Volk RE-30 + Sport Cups/Procede + Meth/AR Design + OEM Oil Coolers/M3 CF Trim/LED Steering Wheel/RIX Guage/Blacklines/GC Hybrid Camber Plates/Spec 3+ Clutch
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 06:56 PM   #149
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
south:

1) They'll have lost me, my family, and all of my future children as customers.
2) I'll be keeping my '11 forever.

If it's any relief I got the auxesis.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 07:16 PM   #150
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCadet View Post

?
My Grandfather had a huge influence on the cars I buy. He always drove Packards and when Packard merged with Studebaker he told me that I should never buy a Packard.

And I never did.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 07:22 PM   #151
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
We agree.
According to BMW 80% of the parts in the M3 are not interchangable with the 335i.

I would assume that a large percentage of the parts count would be in the the engine and transmission,

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 07:58 PM   #152
e90m3_6MT
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 GT3 RS

E90/E92 M3:

Finally, here's a heads-up for everybody disdaining BMW M's decision to turn away from high-revving, naturally aspirated, engines: You better be quick to put in your order for an E9x M3. The rumor has it that the E9x M3 ends production in 2011, including the E92 and E93 M3.

UPDATE: See SCOTT's comment on this, specifically doubting 'DCT only' and the introduction of the F30 M3, here: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...57#post8179457

UPDATE 2: SCOTT's comment on the E9x M3 production ends:

Does it mean the e90 m3 will end november 2011 or 2010?

Best regards,
south[/QUOTE]
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 08:22 AM   #153
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90m3_6MT View Post
Does it mean the e90 m3 will end november 2011 or 2010?
I'm not sure how you are getting confused, but there is simply no chance that the E90 M3 is exiting next month. It will end late next year as all E90/E91 production is tapered off and the platform is retired.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 02:29 PM   #154
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mangler View Post
Front and rear subframes, steering box.....packaged tuning......

T
Front and rear subframes are different part numbers but I think they are so close that to call the truly different would be a misrepresentation.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0